Hondo's Bar

Breaking Bad

The NZA

Breaking_bad_title_card.png

DoJ and a few of you were on about this for a while, now LL & sen wont shut up about it, which is to say im like a month shy of giving in and catching up on both seasons so far. I know nothing but the bits ive overheard, which seemed dramatic and drug/crime related. discuss!

• 1 year later...

^^Walter can only die if Skylar and her sister die first. And their deaths must be horrible--especially Skylar's. Actually, I'm a little more sympathetic w/ the sister after seeing how she's being there for her husband and his recovery.

Apparently Mad Men is taking up all of AMC's money for next season as everyone's salaries on that show are going up. They also cut Breaking Bad's next season order in half.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

No doubt S1 of BB was stellar TV. S2 was also damned good. S3 though was a bit more dodgy in places and dragged a bit in some episodes. S4 (other than the box cutter incident) is rather meh thus far. If push came to shove, I'd take Mad Men over Breaking Bad; so I can see where AMC is coming from in this. Hopefully there will be a S5 of BB somewhere on TV next year though.

S3, I don't know, DoJ...I just don't see how Gus would let Walt live after all that. It played out to me more like the writers were stretching out a plot to cover the season rather than being true to the characters in that situation. Also, did I mention how much Walt's wife needs to die? S3 would've been loads better w/ a Skylar bloodbath.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems AMC thinks so as well. The show is half way through this season and leaving me feeling kinda meh. But it turns out Walt & Jesse will be around for one more season...

Breaking Bad is getting its renewal — for a final season.

AMC has picked up 16 episodes to conclude series. That will bring the award-winning show to a close sometime either next year or in 2013 — depending on how the network and AMC and Sony decide to divvy up the final hours, whether they split them into two more shortened seasons or one (Bad usually runs 13 episodes per season).

“It’s a funny irony — I’d hate to know the date of my own last day on earth, but I’m delighted to know what Walter White’s will be (episodically speaking),” Vince Gilligan said. “This is a great gift to me and to my wonderful writers. It’s knowledge which will allow us to properly build our story to a satisfying conclusion.

Having just caught up/started watching this show with a great big quickness I only started caring about the characters and the things that happen in the last season or two. I still wouldn't rave about it the way people have been at me for the last few years, but it's a fairly solid show and despite it's infuriating habit of highlighting/ reenacting seemingly random or unseen events from earlier, I liked what they did for the first couple of seasons with the flashes forward(with the exception of that no-pay-off bear-eye-in-the-pool BS).

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting you'd have that take on it, Jay. For my money, s1 and s2 were the strongest. However, these last two or three episodes have been the best of the season thus far. Jesse's NA breakdown/confession was raw, powerful stuff. And the last episode's flashback w/ the first meeting of Gustav & Hector was probably the best scene of the season. I hope we get more of these flashbacks, especially one dealing w/ Mike.

It's kinda sad that Walt has become the least interesting character on the show.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

I think the entire show has been top notch, I'd rate it up there with The Wire in my opinion. I quite like how much the show doesn't rush things and overly dramatise situations. Its pretty gritty and real in that respect.

I think AMC are just trying to cut costs and pave the way for MOAR mad men. Seemingly Breaking Bad has one of the highest production costs per episode of any show out there.

Also, I want Skyler to die. Slowly and painfully.

• 2 weeks later...

Haku- Unless a show instantly grabs me it generally works out this way where I'll just begrudgingly get more and more interested simply in the characters' welfare, if nothing else(these TV characters are as real to me as the fleshy humans you see).

Having gotten a little behind and now caught up on the last few eps, Gus is just getting more and more compelling as a character for me. Also, how the fuck is Jesse playing Rage? I didn't think even you guys had that game yet?

• 2 weeks later...