Hondo's Bar

Paranormal Activity

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll probably all get to see it soon as it's getting a wide release the 16th and an additional 1000 screens on the 23rd. The studio is so confident about this movie that they're buying out 1000 more screens on the week that Saw VI opens. Balls of steel, I say.

I really want to see this and pray it's not another Blair Witch.

i wanted to make a thread for that one, its getting limited release down here as well - a friend went to go see it tonight, said it sold out quick. i noticed it before when it was winning a bunch of indie movie awards.

whatd you think?

We had to go see a later showing than we had planned because the first one sold out. I thought it was fantastic. It's the kind of horror film I like... not relying on blood and gore or fancy effects, it builds the suspense and terror slowly and steadily with not a whole lot more than lights turning on and off, doors opening and closing, and loud noises. It really draws you into the couple and makes you care about their characters really early on, so you really do feel concern for their well being and get really terrified for them. I can totally see why the trailers were just audience reactions, definitely something you want to see in theaters.

We'll probably all get to see it soon as it's getting a wide release the 16th and an additional 1000 screens on the 23rd. The studio is so confident about this movie that they're buying out 1000 more screens on the week that Saw VI opens. Balls of steel, I say.

I really want to see this and pray it's not another Blair Witch.

Of course the studio is confident about it, the marketing has been kinda genius. It's gotten to the point where it's one of those movies that people are gonna see just to be in the loop. I haven't seen any of the Saw movies past the second, but I'm pretty sure Saw VI can kiss Paranormal Activity's ass. (Also Blair Witch. Quite obviously) I would make the same decisions as the studio execs at this point.

I like the story about Spielberg returning the DVD in a garbage bag, being convinced it was haunted after his bathroom door of his closed and locked on it's own while he was watching it. Ryan, there are showings all over the metroplex if you guys wanna see it... we would totally be willing to go again.

Okay, saw it. As far as "Found footage" movies go, I rank them like this from least scary to scariest.

Zombie Diaries - Diary of the Dead - Cloverfield - Quarantine - Blair Witch - Paranormal Activity - [REC]

I don't even know where to file Cannibal Holocaust on that, so I wont.

Regardless, be aware that while the movie is indeed awesome it's not wall to wall scares, in fact you often go through long bits between relatively weak scares but the whole package is amazing and you shouldn't leave the theater disappointed. Go in with an open mind and pray that your theater is low on loud tweens with bright cellphones (mine was packed to the fucking gills with them) as they kind of ruin it a little. I predict this will be good for someone with a big screen TV, a dark room, and surround sound.

see, it was a polarizing film. 100% opposite reaction here, i went opening night years back with bish (that first day when people werent quite sure if it was somehow real or not) and i came off it thinking it was genuinely scary & dug it. it couldnt be recreated for me on follow up viewings, and like most horror flicks i didnt touch the sequels, but past the hype i really dug it.

baytor nailed down my concerns about this one - sen wants to go thursday night and the tweens texting and shit, after i spent $10...i feel stupid being the one to make it worse by getting louder and dictating behavior and shit when i couldve just waited and watched it, like he said, big TV in the dark and surround sound.

I dunno, home viewing certainly has its perks, but I felt like this movie was enhanced for me being in the theater. Something of a fellowship with the other people in your audience develops... or at least it did for me. The massive shift everyone did in their seat when the still shots at night started, hearing everyone gasp along with you, a shared sense of unease. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much watching it at home.

holy balls, that was indeed scary. shit.

sen & i got lucky, crowd wasnt bad on a thursday night (i think she was louder than most, haha) but yeah, i loved this.

honestly...

Micah's sarcasm and obviously fearful bravado worked for me, pretty natural up to the point that he was way too prideful for a guy with no solutions/offensive-type ideas to speak of. its one thing to trivialize this chick's past, but when she wanted the "demonologist" to come and he was so reluctant, even after the ouiji board scene that he watched on the tape, much less the power experiment? that threw me off a bit.

by the point of her dragging off (@#$%!), they needed to be out, fuck whatever follows you where. it wasnt quite shark-jumping but for me, whereas i can say im the dumb white guy in the flick who'dve gone in the attic, too, - its time to fucking leave when shit manifests physically. ok, he didnt hear her demony-voice for that one second, i guess, but you just found your chick again catatonic, again scarred up with a cross in her had, and you go back to bed in the place and what, hope shit's ok? i know the movie had to move to its endgame but i felt shit was pretty human and decently written up to that point. dont get me wrong, i adored the monkey's paw ending (sen actually wanted to see hooves! but she acknowledged its never, ever as scary when you show the monster. mebbe H. R. Giger can be the exception here?), i loved the way it was done, however cliche with the camera at the end, but shit genuinely left me uneasy, which is the best thing i can ask of a horror flick.

but yeah, that was a break for me, him just taking her back up to bed and basically waiting to have that shit happen to him. other than that, fantastic horror flick.

Eh, atmospheric horror isn't for everyone. For the record I didn't care for the Blair Witch Project but it had a very creepy beginning and ending so it goes on a movie to movie basis. Atmospheric horror depends entirely on immersion, if you're not immersed then you're not scared.

Edited by Iambaytor

wow. this movie was really not scary (the end was the only thing remotely resembling something scary and yet it was still predictable). eli fell asleep. i passed the time trying to figure out how they did certain effects. bleh.

Friend of mine didn't care for it either.

no, we had a good theater audience. everyone was into it. i was really excited to watch it. and then by the end i was just incredibly disappointed. i love atmospheric movies but i just can't put my finger on why i didn't find it scary. it may have been the combination of the protagonist being a

demon

, the suburban setting, and the documentary format. i could have gotten into any two of those elements but all three didn't work for me. it came off as more cheesy than anything.

you're totally ruining this for me. im now left waiting for the inevitable mock-trailer for henry, a demon down-on-his-luck that just wants to be with/inside katie, a spunky, quirkly girl who constantly misunderstands his advances and turns him down for the sarcastic nerd. its a blast! especially for micah, at the end, where "love wins".

really?

i was so into the last 10 minutes or so. again a lotta people have told me they were only thrown off by the CG demony-face jump at the camera thing.

if that's what's bothering you -

as opposed to micah deciding "fuck it, let's just stay here at demon central and hope for the best now that its clearly powerful"

- you might dig what wiki wrote as the original/alternate ending:

There is a frame from one of the alternate endings, found online, wherein a catatonic Katie is seen sitting, alone, next to the bed in the bedroom after the apparent murder of Micah downstairs. A third ending was also shot showing Katie returning with a knife while possessed and slits her own throat in front of the camera. The ending currently attached to the release of the film was suggested by Steven Spielberg. Many reviewers have expressed discontent with this ending saying that, while it matches the mood of the rest of the film, it comes off as anti-climactic and does not do justice to the rest of the film.

what id read elsewhere was: micah gets tossed at the camera, you see her bloody in the doorway. it cuts, you she her on the bed a few hours, then just staring at the camera for like a minute, and very quickly/abruptly slit her own throat in front of it. i think that's a pretty good one.

personally, i was thinking about it, and if she'dve just thumped her way back up the stairs like she did, toss micah, then sit in the doorway like she did, barely visibile but not moving, and after a bit, you just see her start to rise/levitate then cut the film, i think that ending wouldve made me shit myself.

We just watched this (we "borrowed" it from the internets) and we didn't get the

demon face at camera thing... which is what I gathered from Nick was the theater ending?? We saw the 'catatonic Katie sitting, alone, next to the bed in the bedroom after the apparent murder of Micah downstairs.

I would have been so pissed if I saw that first ending, haha. This one wasn't so bad. Kind of creepy in a sad way.