Hondo's Bar

Spider-Man 4 No More!

Keth

from yahoo

LOS ANGELES – Tobey Maguire is out as Peter Parker and Sam Raimi won't be returning as director when "Spider-Man 4" hits theaters a year late in 2012.

Sony Pictures said in a statement Monday that the movie was supposed to hit theaters in 2011 but has not yet gone into production amid rumors of trouble on the set.

Raimi said his work on the previous "Spider-Man" films was the experience of a lifetime, but acknowledged the studio was heading in a "new direction."

Sony said it would have more news about "Spider-Man 4" in coming weeks.

The new movie will be based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on Peter Parker in high school.

I was kinda gettin sick of maguire anyway. I was getting more sick of kirsten dunst though :\ probably a good thing? i dunno @.@

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet mother of Jesus

comicbookmovie.com

Spider-Man 4 Scrapped. Reboot Planned

Spider-Man hitting theaters summer 2012, but Raimi won't be involved. Check out the official press release from Sony and see what Sam Raimi had to say!

Sony issued a press release today which sheds some light on Spider-Man 4, including a reboot because Sam Raimi didn't think he could hit the summer release date (according to at Mike Fleming Deadline.com).

Here's the official press release from Sony:

Peter Parker is going back to high school when the next Spider-Man hits theaters in the summer of 2012.

Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios announced today they are moving forward with a film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on a teenager grappling with both contemporary human problems and amazing super-human crises.

The new chapter in the Spider-Man franchise produced by Columbia, Marvel Studios and Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin, will have a new cast and filmmaking team. Spider-Man 4 was to have been released in 2011, but had not yet gone into production.

“A decade ago we set out on this journey with Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire and together we made three Spider-Man films that set a new bar for the genre. When we began, no one ever imagined that we would make history at the box-office and now we have a rare opportunity to make history once again with this franchise. Peter Parker as an ordinary young adult grappling with extraordinary powers has always been the foundation that has made this character so timeless and compelling for generations of fans. We’re very excited about the creative possibilities that come from returning to Peter's roots and we look forward to working once again with Marvel Studios, Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin on this new beginning,” said Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment.

“Working on the Spider-Man movies was the experience of a lifetime for me. While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job,” said Sam Raimi.

“We have had a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration and friendship with Sam and Tobey and they have given us their best for the better part of the last decade.This is a bittersweet moment for us because while it is hard to imagine Spider-Man in anyone else’s hands, I know that this was a day that was inevitable,” said Matt Tolmach, president of Columbia Pictures, who has served as the studio’s chief production executive since the beginning of the franchise. “Now everything begins anew, and that’s got us all tremendously excited about what comes next. Under the continuing supervision of Avi and Laura, we have a clear vision for the future of Spider-Man and can’t wait to share this exciting new direction with audiences in 2012.”

"Spider-Man will always be an important franchise for Sony Pictures and a fresh start like this is a responsibility that we all take very seriously," said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures. "We have always believed that story comes first and story guides the direction of these films and as we move onto the next chapter, we will stay true to that principle and will do so with the highest respect for the source material and the fans and moviegoers who deserve nothing but the best when it comes to bringing these stories and characters to life on the big screen."

This is all just so strange. Hopefully they could reboot the rights to Marvel Studios, and get Spide in The Avengers.

edit Ha you beat me by seconds

Edited by alive she cried

lol shoulda kept quiet. But it is pretty shocking. I gotta admit I thought the only cool thing they could do was a rebooting of some sort. It'll give em a chance to fix that shit that was part 3 while retreading some cool villains and keepin things fresh. hopefully at least @.@ That or (dare I say) clones! :???:

Spider-Man 4 Scrapped. Reboot PlannedSpider-Man hitting theaters summer 2012, but Raimi won't be involved. Check out the official press release from Sony and see what Sam Raimi had to say!Sony issued a press release today which sheds some light on Spider-Man 4, including a reboot because Sam Raimi didn't think he could hit the summer release date (according to at Mike Fleming Deadline.com).Here's the official press release from Sony:Peter Parker is going back to high school when the next Spider-Man hits theaters in the summer of 2012.Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios announced today they are moving forward with a film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on a teenager grappling with both contemporary human problems and amazing super-human crises.The new chapter in the Spider-Man franchise produced by Columbia, Marvel Studios and Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin, will have a new cast and filmmaking team. Spider-Man 4 was to have been released in 2011, but had not yet gone into production.“A decade ago we set out on this journey with Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire and together we made three Spider-Man films that set a new bar for the genre. When we began, no one ever imagined that we would make history at the box-office and now we have a rare opportunity to make history once again with this franchise. Peter Parker as an ordinary young adult grappling with extraordinary powers has always been the foundation that has made this character so timeless and compelling for generations of fans. We’re very excited about the creative possibilities that come from returning to Peter's roots and we look forward to working once again with Marvel Studios, Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin on this new beginning,” said Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment.“Working on the Spider-Man movies was the experience of a lifetime for me. While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job,” said Sam Raimi.“We have had a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration and friendship with Sam and Tobey and they have given us their best for the better part of the last decade.This is a bittersweet moment for us because while it is hard to imagine Spider-Man in anyone else’s hands, I know that this was a day that was inevitable,” said Matt Tolmach, president of Columbia Pictures, who has served as the studio’s chief production executive since the beginning of the franchise. “Now everything begins anew, and that’s got us all tremendously excited about what comes next. Under the continuing supervision of Avi and Laura, we have a clear vision for the future of Spider-Man and can’t wait to share this exciting new direction with audiences in 2012.”"Spider-Man will always be an important franchise for Sony Pictures and a fresh start like this is a responsibility that we all take very seriously," said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures. "We have always believed that story comes first and story guides the direction of these films and as we move onto the next chapter, we will stay true to that principle and will do so with the highest respect for the source material and the fans and moviegoers who deserve nothing but the best when it comes to bringing these stories and characters to life on the big screen."This is all just so strange. Hopefully they could reboot the rights to Marvel Studios, and get Spide in The Avengers.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! All that good work undone?! Fuck, if I have to sit through Spiderman's fucking Origin one more fucking time I will eat lead in the fucking cinema. It's bad enough every writer used to jump on back in the day in the book and forge their own unique take on 'boy gets bitten by spider, makes the muscle', and don't even get me started on John Fucking Byrne's Chapter one! Fucking hell, this isn't star trek you cunts, the series was unbroken. It was great even, and that includes 3 which really was a Fanboy's wet dream. You faggots like your surreality and Scott Pilgrim so much, how are you not loving Peter Parker via Fred Astaire Via Fallout boy? And Snow Goblin worked way-the-fuck-better than Willem-almost-as-overrated-as-he-is-fucking-ugly-Dafoe ever did, and all you faggots can do is bith about the shitty Venom that had no place being on screen to fucking begin with. Raimi gave you ungrateful motherfuckers everything you ever wanted and this is how you repaid him. You cunts deserve another Batman and Robin and/or Tom Jane Punisher.
I was kinda w/ JZA on not giving a flying fuck about anything Scott Pilgrim related as I've never read the books and in general avoid anything to do w/ teenage hipster-looking types (first volume of Marvel's Runaways being an exception). However, after seeing this pic I'm changing my mind about the film:ScoPilStill1.jpgMichael Cera wielding a flaming katana whils apparently fighting bald Asian guys in Chucks point in the excact opposite direction of suck. I may have to try and find a torrent now...
Shit man, I wish I'd known you were in my camp for two minutes, if only to have a dig at all these latte-swilling, impossibly cool poseurs(which in my limited view epitomises Scott Pilgrim).

The fact that Acalis has come off Hiatus to post this should reflect exactly what this reboot bs means for the movie incarnation of Spiderman.

Well true, but I also figured a lotta comic book movie fans on here, and since this is BIG news, and no one else had posted about it yet, I figured it was a special occasion. :???:

maybe itll be like what they did with the Hulk. They managed an awesome reboot without an origin story (well a whole one). I ain't as well versed on comics as most here, especially on spidey's shit, but i'm thinkin thisll be a good thing. Raimi did great..... on the first 2. :/

maybe itll be like what they did with the Hulk. They managed an awesome reboot without an origin story (well a whole one). I ain't as well versed on comics as most here, especially on spidey's shit, but i'm thinkin thisll be a good thing. Raimi did great..... on the first 2. :/

The thing is the reboot of Hulk came after the original Hulk sucked balls at the box office, but with Superman, all the previous movies were great and successful. Why mess up an already successful franchise to chance it on re-inventing the series??

Surely you're not saying Batman and Robin left a plausible jump-in without considering relaunch?

..... ok good point lol. I'm just optimistic is all. But I totally see the frustration seeing all the anticipation behind part 4. That and it is seemingly too early for any sorta reboot. At least Superman had time to back it up.... doesnt excuse it for being a bad flick :\ (though I totally enjoyed Kevin Spacey as Lex)

..... ok good point lol. I'm just optimistic is all. But I totally see the frustration seeing all the anticipation behind part 4. That and it is seemingly too early for any sorta reboot. At least Superman had time to back it up.... doesnt excuse it for being a bad flick :\ (though I totally enjoyed Kevin Spacey as Lex)

God yeah. Spacey was channeling Hackman the whole way through. I enjoyed the hell out of his scenes with hi secretary, and even tried to squeeze my eyes shut through the scenes without him telling myself it was an entirely accurate, non-misfiring homage.

this. i dont think 3 spoiled the franchise that bad necessarily, but maybe some fresh faces woudlnt hurt? if the director and main 2 actors wanted out, i dont know how much choice they really had. it is a shame though, id like to say even up to 10 years later i dont think re-imagining the intro/2nd film are going to easily top what was done, series started stronger than most.

while we're on about reboots, i welcome any daredevil news you guys have

Well, this obviously provides some opportunities for the franchise. I know not everyone agrees with me on this one, but I subscribe the the school of thought that says there is an inverse relationship between the true spirit of Spider-Man and how many friendly characters know Peter is Spidey. The more people Peter has to rely on, or confide in, the further the story moves from it's true essence. I was psyched when I first started reading Ultimate Spider-Man years ago, because with about 40 years of canon to have to work with, the main continuity was suffering from this principle. I basically stopped reading Ultimate Spidey when Peter told Mary Jane he was Spider-Man, fuck, what was it, 9 issues in? I was not happy in the second film when MJ learned Peter's secret at the end.

Also, while there is something to be said about Peter leading an adult life, having a hard time making rent and shit (the 2nd movie did a good job with this), I still like it better when he's in high school.

Ideally, this reboot would start with Peter in high school, all awkward and such, and if you were going into the movie not knowing anything about the story they were going for, you might expect them to do the origin story, but it pulls a fast one on you and goes straight into Peter ducking into an alley and changing into Spidey. Ideally, he will not get MJ or Gwen at the end of the movie, and his life will suck. Ideally, they will be able to make 2 Spidey films with Petr in high school, after which with the reality that actors age at a rate less controllable than ink and paper ones do, he can go to college.

As for titles, Ultimate Spider-Man obviously make sense, but I kinda prefer "The Amazing" for a film.

This is why John is awesome. I've been wondering for a while how a remake of It's a Wonderful Life could possible improve on the original. The answer: Swap out that boring ole George Bailey with a real hero, Spider-Man!

Also, does anyone else think that "Spider-Man 4 No More!" would be a better title for this thread.

Edited by Reverend Jax

The thing is the reboot of Hulk came after the original Hulk sucked balls at the box office, but with Superman, all the previous movies were great and successful. Why mess up an already successful franchise to chance it on re-inventing the series??
Oops, I think I meant to say SPIDERMAN and not SUPERMAN, but hey so long as it kept the thread going. :D
Also, does anyone else think that "Spider-Man 4 No More!" would be a better title for this thread.
Isn't it already the title of this thread? :loopy: