Hondo's Bar

vegan foods

amynicole

after several weeks of non stop vomiting, several doctors visits, severe stomach pain, and finally a trip to the ER it turns out that i may have developed an intolerance to casein, a protien found in dairy foods. so i was wondering if anyone knew of any great vegan foods. or dairy free, really, bc i can still eat meat. so if anyone has any suggestions, ill take them, as i have to be dairy free for at least the next month to see if this is what the problem is.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i bought some silk today, and a few other groceries. i have to read the labels on everything. casein is in everything! breads, cereals, processed meats, seasoning salts, soups. so i have to be almost vegan. i called applebees corporate, and they were really helpful, so i can still eat some things at work, and i found out that taco bells "fresco" menu is dairy free. so i can still eat some of my favorites.

like ray was saying, though, it takes me back to my childhood. i actually have a lot of food allergys, but they stopped bothering me in my teenage years. so at least, i have been through this before, and know how to work with a restricted diet.

Edited by amynicole

There's a guy in North Miami Beach whos' selling vegan cookbooks on craigslist. I don't know if that's something you'd be interested in, but he crossed my path, so I figured I'd let you know.

He advertised that he had kids books so I got in touch with him, but he's changed his mind and is only selling his cookbooks.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/bks/1579927520.html

Anyways, there's just 2 problems: One, is he's selling his books because he's moving back home to Boston and we've had trouble with Bostonian people here before.

Two, he was kinda rude the first time I contacted him, though he immediately apologized and has been cool since then.

There's a guy in North Miami Beach whos' selling vegan cookbooks on craigslist. I don't know if that's something you'd be interested in, but he crossed my path, so I figured I'd let you know.

He advertised that he had kids books so I got in touch with him, but he's changed his mind and is only selling his cookbooks.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/bks/1579927520.html

Anyways, there's just 2 problems: One, is he's selling his books because he's moving back home to Boston and we've had trouble with Bostonian people here before.

Two, he was kinda rude the first time I contacted him, though he immediately apologized and has been cool since then.

thanks jumbie. i have found lots of recipes, online, too. the problem is that i dont know which products are good. like which soy cheese tastes and melts best. and i cant even have all soy cheeses as some of them still have casein in them. but im reading all the reviews i can. and ingredients lists on my fav foods. i even found a restaurant in ft worth called Spiral Diner (www.spiraldiner.com) if anyone else is interested in vegan dining.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey there...Logan helped me find this thread. Was wondering if there are any other fellow vegans. Ive been one for a few years, and I have a ton of recipes and stuff if anyone is interested. If there's another thread for that let me know. Otherwise...tonight I made vegan tortilla soup + vegetarian mexican corn bread for my roomie...and I would be happy to post the recipes and some pictures. I get a silly thrill out of making really awesome meals and then taking photos of them, haha.

To the OP...it sounds like you might have a gluten allergy too. Did not eating diary help at all?

Actually they ruled out gluten allergy, too. I happened to figure out what was making me sick on accident. We tried a ton of things and at one point I asked if I could have become less tolerant to my birth control (which I had been taking for years) and a doctor (not my doctor, but one I saw while she was on vacay) prescribed me a low hormone birth control that he said there was no way this one would make me sick if that was the problem. Months later I went off the birth control, and I stopped getting sick. The reason I threw up blood was because I threw up so much I ruptured blood vessels in my stomach, and that's probably why I was having abdominal pains too.

Hooray for fellow vegans! I was telling Logan earlier I didnt want to start a vegan thread because I was really terrified that it could come across as sounding snobbish and stuff. Im so excited to meet fellow Hondorian vegans though.

I am vegan too, as is winter violet. It understand your apprehension. Veganism is one of the few moral choices you can make in this society where you get grief and resistance and even aggression for.

OK, so...other conversation aside, I originally wanted to find a place I could share recipes and stuff at, so...that's what I'm going to do. Also I wanted to ask some advice about making a cashew chz.

http://allrecipes.co...-tortilla-soup/ <---- so, so great. It's already vegan (unless you add the cheese as a topping, which I didn't). Try it out if you have a chance, esp if you have a cold. Ani and I have been eating it for like 2 days now, and I doubt it's something we could get tired of. Ill try and post some pictures later.

/edit - I forgot to mention what I did to make it diff. I added a can of black beans, and used limes as a topping per someone else's suggestions in the comments section. Next time I make it though, I'll probably only add 2 cans of the green chilis. It was really spicy, which is great now that it's still kinda winter, but in the summer it will probably be too much.

And, my question about the cashew chz: I tried making this the other night, and maybe it's because I used a blender, but it didn't blend and break down like I wanted it to. Is there a way to make that work, that doesn't involve spending a ton of money for a food processor?

Edited by sinestetici

sublime-organic-restaurant-bar_banner.jpg

For Miami members (or others when they visit), there's a great restaurant in Fort Lauderdale/Wilton Manors area that exclusively serves vegan food.

I've eaten there several times with friends and, while not a vegan (or vegetarian, or pescitarian) I've enjoyed several dishes immensely (don't get scared off carnivorous Hondonians!)

They also donate 100% of their profits to organizations which promote animal welfare and the vegan lifestyle.

...did that get things back on track?

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

I'll post some recipes for you Sin, though you might have seen them before. If you're ever in the DFW area, check out The Veggie Garden. This place is awesome, I'm down there at least once a week and more if I can afford it. The foods delicous and the owner Joy is awesome ^_^.

I'll also toss out one of my favorite soup recipes. Its incredibly simple but really really tasty.

Home-style noodle soup

1 tbsp Olive Oil

1 large onion chopped

2 medium carrots chopped

1 Celery stalk diced

6 cups vegetable stock

pinch of turmeric

salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

6 oz fettucini broken into thirds

1 tbsp minced fresh parsley

In a large saucepan, heat the oil and add the onion, carrots, and celery.

Cover and, stirring occasionally, cook 5 minutes.

Add stock, salt, pepper, and turmeric.

Bring to boil then reduce to low heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 min.

Add noodles and cook till tender (about 10 min)

stir in the parsley and taste to adjust seasoning.

Simmer 5 more minutes.

Serve.