Hondo's Bar

vegan foods

amynicole

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jax, you posted somewhere once that you were eating stuffed peppers...I don't remember if it was here or on FB, but that looked sooooooooo good! Can you possibly post it here? I've been wanting to make a stuffed something dish and it just looked so good.

I'm not vegan, not even close, but post surgery, I have eaten less and less meat -- however, since I need to eat things high in protein, I wonder if its possible to eat this way and still get what I need (minimum of 60g per day)...

I look forward to trying some of these recipes. Our new apartment is within walking distance to our town's Co-op market that has bunches of vegan goodies. Do you guys ever cook with TVP?

I'm not vegan, not even close, but post surgery, I have eaten less and less meat -- however, since I need to eat things high in protein, I wonder if its possible to eat this way and still get what I need (minimum of 60g per day)...

Aarty, you can get more protein from veg than meat. The protein per 200 calories is much higher in many vegetables over meats. Check out this list http://www.myfit.ca/foods_highest_protein.asp

Sample from list

1.SOY PROT ISOLATE,K TYPE,CRUDE PROT BASIS : 55g Protein

2.GELATINS,DRY PDR,UNSWTND : 51.1g Protein

3.SEAL,BEARDED (OOGRUK),MEAT,AIR-DRIED (ALASKA NATIVE) : 47.1g Protein

4.EGG,WHITE,DRIED,PDR,GLUCOSE RED : 43.8g Protein

5.SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE : 47.7g Protein

6.EGG,WHITE,DRIED,FLAKES,GLUCOSE RED : 43.8g Protein

7.VITAL WHEAT GLUTEN : 40.6g Protein

8.WHALE,BELUGA,MEAT,AIR-DRIED,RAW (ALASKA NATIVE) : 46.7g Protein

9.NABISCO,KNOX DRINKING GELATIN,ORANGE FLVR,W/ASPRT,LO CAL,PDR : 35.8g Protein

10.SOY PROT CONC,CRUDE PROT BASIS (N X 6.25),ACID WASH : 38.8g Protein

11.COD,ATLANTIC,DRIED&SALTED : 43.3g Protein

12.FISH,HERRING EGGS,PACIFIC,DRY (ALASKA NATIVE) : 38.7g Protein

13.SOY PROT CONC,PRODUCED BY ALCOHOL EXTRACTION : 35.1g Protein

14.SEAWEED,SPIRULINA,DRIED : 39.6g Protein

15.WALRUS,MEAT,DRY (ALASKA NATIVE) : 45.4g Protein

16.KRAFT,JELLO SGR FR LO CAL GELATIN STRWBRY,W/ A,PDR : 34.1g Protein

17.GELATIN DSSRT,DRY MIX,RED CAL,W/ ASPRT,ADDED P,K,NA,VIT C : 32.1g Protein

18.PEANUT FLOUR,DEFATTED : 31.9g Protein

19.SOY FLR,DEFATTED,CRUDE PROT BASIS (N X 6.25) : 31.5g Protein

20.SESAME FLOUR,LOW-FAT : 30.1g Protein

So 9 of the top 20 are vegan with Soy Protein at #1

I forget what I had in that bell pepper, but I think it was something like: Slice the top of a bell pepper, pull out the stuff in the middle and stuff it with a combination you cook in a pot for about 10 minutes of: black beans, pinto beans, garbanzos, red beans, corn, peas, garlic, onion, mushrooms, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and whatever else you feel like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's something simple to get us away from the meat grossness.

Super lazy vegan food

2 slices rye bread

sauerkraut

soy swiss

thousand island (making sure it doesn't have egg obviously)

vegan margerine

I think you can figure the rest out ^_^

Really tasty vegan Reuben.

Aarty - there are soooooo many things you can do with the vegan veggie patties too. Have you tried using those tempah maple strips yet? If you fry them, they end up tasting like bacon (except better because there isn't any grease), throw them on top of the vegan patties, and voila - bacon burgers. I always eat mine with hummus and spinach and jals.

Oh! Aarty - there are **tons** of decent pho bacon products out there. Although, not all of them are vegan. But Morningstar Farms makes a veggie bacon that I remember being really great (it's been years since I've had it though admittedly). You can also make your own, which is a lot less hard than it seems.

And as far as frying the tempeh strips - you only kinda brown them a min on each side. Just so they get kinda crispy :D

Morningstar makes me sad. They used to be so good and then out of nowhere decided. "Our food doesn't have enough EGG, vegans should be eating more aborted chicken embryo" and like 90% of their stuff become non-vegan safe

Right about that same time though, Bocca turned like 90 % of their products totally vegan. And honestly, I think they taste better anyway. I'm addicted to the soy crumbles - I use them at least once a week now.

GD. Now I want chili. Again.

Right about that same time though, Bocca turned like 90 % of their products totally vegan. And honestly, I think they taste better anyway. I'm addicted to the soy crumbles - I use them at least once a week now.

Yeah, I use the crumbles frequently too. My enchilada bake wouldn't be the same without them. That said I have a rule that I can only use meat substitutes every other week. Helps a lot with the nutrition levels.

Morningstar makes me sad. They used to be so good and then out of nowhere decided. "Our food doesn't have enough EGG, vegans should be eating more aborted chicken embryo" and like 90% of their stuff become non-vegan safe

Yeah, but I have to believe it's hurting their sales. About half of all vegetarians in the US are vegan, a percentage that is going to continue to grow, in my opinion. I have taste to many delicious plant-based meat products (and plant-based dairy products, from cheese to whipped cream to sour cream to cream cheese to ice cream to yogurt to butter, etc) to believe that any large food company cannot easily make vegan product just as good as a vegetarian one. I believe the choice to add egg to previously vegan products will inevitably reveal itself to Morningstar to have been unwise, despite their initial reasons to do it, whatever they might have been.

That's a bummer. I never had any beef (heh) with animal products though, just actual dead flesh. I had a hard enough time being vegetarian, I don't know how you vegans do it.

As a big, fat, food-loving, gluttonous guy, I have to say it is really not that hard. It appears impossible from the other side, but if you do it discovering new foods you never ate before, rather than just limiting yourself the foods you already ate that just so happened to be vegan ("well, I've cleared out my kitchen of all non-vegan foods, and all that's left is a jar of pickles, some Rice Crispies and some peanut butter...I guess that's all I'm allowed to eat from now on and forever!"), I do not animal flesh nor animal reproductive secretions.

I get frustrated at times that something that doesn't need to have animal products does, like a Morningstar burger or Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, but vegan burgers exist and so do vegan peanut butter cups, but Walgreen's does not have the vegan PB cup there when I'm standing in the line to pay, and often times the diner I might go to with a group of people only have a Morningstar veggie burgers, so that can be frustrating, but I do not crave the taste of anything with murder and exploitation in it. And at this point, even if plant-based versions of meat and dairy products were unavailable, they are a luxury, not a necessity. You may recall I spent a week in Cuba, and my mother and I ate breakfast where we were staying and in restaurants every lunch and dinner, and many places had nothing vegan on the menu. I asked for special orders, often saying "please just cook up a bunch of vegetables with oil and no butter" (but, you know, in Spanish). I did not want for any food while I was in Cuba. One's palette changes.

I can understand someone having difficulty staying vegan if it's a diet, because fuck diets, they're made to be cheated on, in my opinion, and I think most people's opinion. But for me, because it's about ethics, nothing short of a life-and-death situation it going to make me want to violate my personal ethics on this matter. I wouldn't personally rape or murder a person to satisfy a frivolous gastrointestinal whim, nor would I personally rape or murder an animal to do the same, so I'm not going to outsource that rape and murder and feel better about it because it is out of my sight and earshot and smell-range.

Hmm...I'm moving away from recipe talk and back to the ethics stuff I split off to another thread. I might move this post over there later.

As far as flavor with the burgers at least, I think Boca > Morningstar

I just bought some Soy-rizo from Trader Joe's...it's really good although it might not look too appetizing when you take it out of the casing, lol...Ben loves the stuff. I'm so glad he's basically gung-ho with anything I try. The only thing is that I have to read labels carefully since some of the stuff has nut ingredients in it.