• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

So this has been an exceptional week of reading at cracked.

First off here is an article written by someone who spent the majority of her life as a sex slave in modern America. It is incredibly depressing, shocking and hard to read. Cracked tries it's damndest to funny it up and make it less hard to read, but the subject is still there. It an important piece nonetheless.

Then we have a couple article on the "gamergate" or "Quinngate" scandal, which I didn't even know about until I read these. The subject itself needs it's own thread, discussing misogyny in gamer culture, or just nerd culture in general.

Here's an article written by the subject, Zoe Quinn, herself.

And 4 ways gamers still don't know how to deal with women

As Baytor and I found out the hard way, you really shouldn't read the comments.

I researched the gamer gate thing just to see what Zoe Quinn did that all these "non-mysogynists" are getting butthurt over.

1. According to chat logs of a somewhat suspect nature she did in fact sleep with at least 3 men in the industry to get ahead but if you read the chat logs it tells an entirely different story from the one her boyfriend is telling. Everyone makes it out that she used sexual favors to bend them to her will but it reads a lot more like they told her they'd do something for her if she had sex with them which is a very significant difference. Maybe she did have sex with five guys to reach "the top" (The top representing a game on Steam Greenlight) but it's more telling of an awful industry that forces women to play their awful game than of an evil creature using her devil vagina to oppress gamers everywhere.

2. She shut down The Fine Young Capitalists' Game Jam! That is to say she was a dissenting voice because their model (Get women to submit pitches for a game, make game, give pitchers 8% of profits) sounded a whole lot like "Give us ideas for a game and we'll maybe pay you someday, if we feel like it, I guess." But then they suffered a DDS attack that has been in no way connected with Zoe Quinn and was most likely done by someone on her "side." Naturally the FYC blames her entirely because they're cunts (I mean that in the gender neutral European sense.)

3. Her own games jam charity... thing deposited the money into her paypal account. I don't know about this one, that sounds kinda shady but I don't really know how one sets up a charity. That's the only wrong thing I can see that she actually did.

4. She's a big old lying faker. Supposedly she faked a bunch of the death threats and hacking but I find that skeptical based on a study done by the University of My Own Goddamn Eyes. Unless Zoe Quinn is secretly 3 out of every 4 people on the internet then she would have no reason to make any of this up because it's totally happening everywhere.

So basically, Zoe Quinn may not be a super great person but that is so goddamn beside the point.

• Upvote 1

^pretty much one of the most concise #GamerGate / #notyourshield summaries i've read, this was totally one of those things that got dumber the further down the rabbit hole i went (holy shit Adam Baldwin really was in character in Firefly) and any time i spent therein, i should've been gaming or something else.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

So Cracked got gutted of all their talent

So, Cracked ended up letting go about 25 this week, and the people they let go are pretty much the people who made Cracked, Cracked. Not to mention they pretty much ended their video content.

Among others the list includes:
Cody Johnston (The host of the extreamly good Some News series.)
Robert Evans (Dude who did all of their personal experience articles.)
Daniel O'Brien
John Cheese
Katy Stoll 

apparently a few were let go earlier this year too, no word on seanbaby but i think he's freelance 

I think David Wong is still there too. I didn't know John Cheese was though. I thought he stopped writing for them awhile back. But it has been a good minute since I've read anything from Cracked. They started getting annoyingly critical of alot of things, like showcasing a bunch of shitty Cinema Sins stuff.