Hondo's Bar

Thor

Thor was not good. Characters were poorly developed, stakes were low and poorly demonstrated. The entire plot takes place over two goddamn days, and the fights were all anticlimactic.

Go watch it if you want. I wouldn't recommend it. It wasn't bad, but it was far enough removed from good that I was bored. Some great slapstick, though, but I didn't really go to Thor to see slapstick.

As to your "two in any direction" it's CURRENTLY at 80%.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I don't agree with Baytor's Mal's review, I definitely don't think it belongs in the same breath as Dark Knight as people have claimed. It was good. Better than a bunch of comic book movies (best effects by far), but not the BEST best. I'm excited to see more of the character and the universe. AVENGERS!!!

I also disagree with Mal's review. While it didn't have the sense that some recent comic movies have had of everything really coming together exactly as they should (Iron Man, The Dark Knight, Watchmen...), it was solid and it was fun. I actually liked Thor's arc and development from the beginning to the end. A good movie should have the protagonist grow (or at least change) from the beginning to the end, and sometimes that growth can seem inauthentic and forced, and I feel that a real person would not have changed the way the character did, but I really bought Thor's change of perspective from the petulant, hammer-happy brat to the more mature character at the end, one who realized he still had more growing up to do. I bought his relationship with both his father and his brother, whom I thought was a really good complex antagonist.

The movie had its flaws, no doubt. I think more time in New Mexico and less time in Asgard would had served the story well, and Thor's buddies probably could have been more interesting, but all in all it was fun. I am starting to think now that X-Men: First Class will be the comic book movie to beat this summer.

See, I don't buy it. He changes from petulant to adult in two days. He and the doctor fall in love in two days. His brother goes from good to evil in one day, due to one fact and a complete inability to listen when daddy says he's always loved his adoptive son. Character growth is unbelievable because of the absurdly quick pace of the plot. Simply altering the passage of time would've made this movie ten times more believable. Establishing more connections for Thor to Midgard would've done wonders - as it stands, he's only returning to get laid. He doesn't know the need for protection the earth has, he's not going back to be a badass avenger - he is going back to screw the doc.

I'm not going to say it was a bad movie. I honestly did enjoy the comedic bits, and The Destroyer was all kinds of badass. But I couldn't excuse the plot's pacing.

I saw it last night w/ the gf and we both loved it. It's by no mean's a Dark Knight, but I'd probably put it up there w/ the first Iron Man film though. Granted, not quite as good of a film as Iron Man, but damned close. I have probably only read one or two Thor mini-series in my life. Really the most I've ever read of him outside of Siege has been in the Ultimate universe, and I really liked how the film played into that a tiny bit w/ the interrogation room scene.

I loved the Asgard scenes and didn't really find the faults that Mal did in the film. I loved the references to the other Marvel U films and this film is really just a set-up for Thor's part in Whedon's Avengers film. It did it's job and it did it pretty damned well.

See, I don't buy it. He changes from petulant to adult in two days. He and the doctor fall in love in two days. His brother goes from good to evil in one day, due to one fact and a complete inability to listen when daddy says he's always loved his adoptive son. Character growth is unbelievable because of the absurdly quick pace of the plot. Simply altering the passage of time would've made this movie ten times more believable. Establishing more connections for Thor to Midgard would've done wonders - as it stands, he's only returning to get laid. He doesn't know the need for protection the earth has, he's not going back to be a badass avenger - he is going back to screw the doc.

I'm not going to say it was a bad movie. I honestly did enjoy the comedic bits, and The Destroyer was all kinds of badass. But I couldn't excuse the plot's pacing.

Granted, the change in Thor was fairly rapid. But it wasn't completely implausible. His whole world changed when he couldn't pick up that hammer. And when Loki visited him in that wonderful interrogation room scene I think Thor really had a moment of clarity. Would I have liked another scene or two w/ Thor learning to be self-less? Eh. Maybe. But I don't think they were necessary to the pacing of the story. In regards to the doc and him falling in love in two days, bitch please. You have seen Black Swan, right? Try and play like you wouldn't cross space and time to be w/ that. :sarcasm:

And as for Loki. This guy obviously did not become evil over the course of two days. He even admitted as much tot he Frost Giant king. He's had this jealousy of Thor all his life, and he's had a plan all along. Granted it was altered a bit (Or was it?) when Odin went into his weird coma. Loki, like in the comics, is in my opinion the richer of the two characters b/c he is so conflicted and convoluted as a person. Did he really want the Frost Giant King, his own birth father, Lauffey to kill Odin or did always plan to swoop in last minute and be the hero his brother Thor was lauded as? Hard to tell for sure w/ this guy.

And the end credit scene is by far the best of any Marvel U film thus far.

Haku- regarding your spoiler there, that's exactly what I like about Loki as a villain. Needlessly convoluted and murky intent. I wouldn't want every villain like that but, who better to be the token weirdo than the God of Mischief?

Well, Rotten Tomatoes has 49 reviews in and Thor is at a highly respectable 94%, so that number is not likely to fluctuate more than two in either direction. That's better than Spider-Man 2 (93%), X-Men 2 (88%), and tied with Iron Man and The Dark Knight. Believe the hype, people. Thor's going to rock!

Its now a bashful 78.

Having seen the movie (under the influence of lots of medication for my lungs) I didn't really like it but I will give it another go when not heavily medicated and can actually remember something other than the big metal guy being cool.

So, as for the fanboy dream of possibly having an Infinity Gauntlet plot in an upcoming Marvel U film? Well, taking a closer look @ Odin's treasure room apparently doesn't completely rule that out . . .

vaultodin.jpg

Along with the Casket of Ancient Winters, Odin's weapons vault contains other cosmic artifacts that include -

Confirmed:

Eternal Flame (top, left) - Mystical flame that cannot be extinguished. It was stolen from Surtur by Odin, Vili, and Ve Borson at the dawn of time so that Surtur could not light his sword and bring about Ragnarok.

Infinity Gauntlet (right) - The Infinity Gauntlet was designed to hold six of the 'soul gems', better known as the Infinity Gems. When used in combination their already impressive powers made the wearer nearly invincible.

Warlock's Eye (bottom, center) - A powerful, mystical weapon used unsuccessfully against Odin, Thor and the Warriors Three during an invasion of Asgard.

Twilight Sword (not pictured) - Created by Surtur using the energy of the exploding home galaxy of the Korbinites, it was intended to set the universe afire. Later used as a power source by Loki & Morgan Le Fay.

Rumored:

Orb of Agamotto (top,left center) - A scrying crystal ball used by Doctor Strange for clairvoyance. It has been known to open gateways between dimensions

Tablet of Life & Time (top, right center) - On the tablet was a biochemical formula for a serum, the so-called Lifeline Formula, which could rejuvinate, heal and grant its user the chance to reach the full evolutionary potential of its race turning the user into an immortal near omnipotent being.

I looked everywhere for the Gauntlet (being such a fan of the series) because I had heard it was in the movie. Apparently I missed it or it was not there?

I was really hoping that's what was in the case Fury opened up at the end, but instead it was a glowing cube. Yeah, that's WAY more awesome than the fucking Infinity Gauntlet. WTF up w/ that Marvel?

I gotta retwatch soon but, I don't recall seeing a trophy room in Asgard?

Seriously, Assburger Boy? Up the meds. Odin's "trophy room" is where a major plot point takes place...

...it's the room where the Casket of Ancient Winters [i.e. the big blue box thingy what freezes stuff] is kept

Mmkay, lemme clear some shit up real quick.

I assure you two silly bastards that I can make a logical call. You put Batman and Captain America in an empty room, two-men-enter, one-man-leaves style, yes, eventually Cap wins. No question about it, really.

But y'know what? Quasar could completely wipe the floor with both of them. That doesn't make him cooler.

because no one named "Wendell" can ever be cool. It's a rule.

Now you're asking me who's cooler?

Batman, you fools. I will vote for him every time.

I also say that if you gave each of them 24 hours notice, Batman would pull something out of his Deus Ex belt that would win the battle, but I can say the same thing about Batman Vs. Satan.

Maybe if you wanted to lay some groundwork and give the appropriate details of the situation of the fight in the relevant thread, I would be able to use my awesome head-knowledge to make an unbiased call.

Also, I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I really like doing this "when titans tussle" shit. That Lorelei thread where we pitted Hulk against everyone using flat out fanboy knowledge was a lot of fun for me.

Also, I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I really like doing this "when titans tussle" shit. That Lorelei thread where we pitted Hulk against everyone using flat out fanboy knowledge was a lot of fun for me.

You should not validate my desire to do this by being in agreement with me. I seriously have a fucking word file of Marvel vs. DC fights that I have no use for but keep adding to regardless and every few months I'm like "I'll make a thread... no nobody'd use it." Do not open this can of worms.

• 5 months later...

Patty Jenkins has been confirmed as the director of Thor 2. Her credits include her debut, the movie Monster with Charlize Theron from a few years back, as well as the pilot episode of The Killing, which I hear is good, and episodes of Entourage, The Sarah Silverman Program and Arrested Development.

...never did post back, but yeah, even as an off-and-on fan of Thor in the 80s/90s, this movie turned out way more fun than it had any right to be.

from that, i can confidently say i have no idea who/what works in a Thor film, except the ogre who plays him. Certainly willing to give the next flick a shot, though i'm wondering who to go with for his villain next - Hercules, or even better, Beta Ray Bill, would be awesome.

and before newt says it: i'm pretty sure sarah jessica-parker is available on short notice

Archived