Hondo's Bar

Bioshock Infinite

Visitant

http://pc.ign.com/ar.../1111864p1.html

<object id='vid_14258733' width='480' height='270' data='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'><param name='movie' value='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' /><param name='allowfullscreen' value='true' /><param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always' /><param name='bgcolor' value='#000000' /><param name='flashvars' value='vgroup=bioshock_trl_081210&object=14258733' /></object><div style='width:480;'><a href='http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/14258733/bioshock-3/videos/bioshock_trl_081210.html'>More BioShock: Infinite Videos</a></div>

The setting for BioShock Infinite may seem even more fantastic and technologically advanced than rapture, but it's set in 1912, years before the events of the first game. In this adventure you play as Booker DeWitt, a disgraced former private detective who's picked up a new case. Your goal is to find a young woman who's gone missing and return her unharmed. The only problem is that she's being kept on the flying city of Columbia.

In 1900, Columbia is unveiled as a symbol of America's success as a nation. It floats around the world as a traveling World's Fair, a marvel of human innovation. But an international incident involves the city and it turns out that the airborne metropolis is also heavily armed. A confrontation occurs, and Columbia disappears into the clouds. DeWitt's lead in the case knows how to find Columbia, and how to find Elizabeth. The problem is that the city's inhabitants aren't that willing to let her, and her very strange abilities, just walk away.

I for one can't wait, but i'm a bit obsessed with the Bioshock franchise. Oh and it's being made by Irrational, the guys who did Bioshock (not Bioshock 2)

Edited by The NZA

Yeah, my comment was prior to watching the video so, here's to the main (human)antagonist wearing an improbable stovepipe hat and twirling a moustache. I'm gay as all get-out for the fifties, but that looks pretty amazing too!

Being the resident Steampunk expert(Sexy Hat can't take that from you)- that whole late-19th Century is Victorian right?

If it's 1912 it's post "Victorian" era (1837-1901 source wiki). Airships are being used by Italy(?) At this point in time for military reconnaissance I believe and I think this is the year when the Titanic launched. It's pretty well an exciting time to base the story in. Would there still be strong clothing influences from the Victorian era? Most definitely.

Again, this is being made by the BIOSHOCK team, not the Bioshock 2 team.

I believe you were thinking of the Industrial Revolution which IS in this time.

Edited by Bindusara

Man, shame so many people didn't like 2 much, gameplay was REALLY good, Story and Atmosphere weren't as strong overall as 1 but I really likes the plasmid + weapon stuff, the drill, and the last areas were awesome. Even the multiplayer was actually pretty fun, was not expecting that.

As for this: Looks awesome. HG Wells had a great imagination, and this looks like it came straight out of it, the depraved, racist, piece of shit.

I haven't played 2 yet, but Bioshock 1 got way too easy at the end. Even on the hardest difficulty it was still too easy. Although it was fun to take on 3 big daddies at once.

But this looks good, I really like the whole floting city thing. Is it powered by chaos emeralds? Is a fat man in a blimp trying to steal them?

I can't wait for my super jump plasmid.

Anyone want to bet you get a grappling hook or equivalent?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

10 minutes of gameplay, from TGS, in HD or watch it in SD right here:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRU0oQl54vE?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRU0oQl54vE?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRU0oQl54vE?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Game Informer:

* You play as a man named Booker De Witt (complete with actual backstory and personality - a first for series protagonists), given an offer by a mysterious man to rescue a woman trapped in Columbia: Elizabeth, the lady from the trailer.

* Elizabeth is a psion with very great potential, learning to control her powers as you progress through the game and bond with her. Freeing her from confinement is only the start: the rest is escaping Columbia alive, and working with her to combine abilities will be key in combat and exploration.

* There will be NO Big Daddies. The creature at the end of the trailer is currently only referred to as "Him", and he serves as the sole flying watchdog of Columbia, keeping Elizabeth captive under orders for 15 years. As a result, they're the only friends that each other has had since then, and your actions threaten the life he's had with her in his eyes. Reconciling the relationships between Him, Booker, and Elizabeth will be the core of the story.

* The first creature seen in the trailer is called an Alpha. What was seen was only half of its body. Think of a human that had everything but its head and vital organs replaced with robot parts, and you've got an Alpha. They're huge and hit hard, and have the power to revive other Alphas.

* To the world at large, Columbia represents an ever-looming threat of U.S. nationalism and technological progress for the sake of world power, underneath the cover of a peace symbol. Said pursuit of power led to an unknown event, leading to Columbia breaking ties with the U.S. and vanishing in 1912.

* Columbia is undergoing a civil war between two factions: the ruling party working to maintain the demented status quo of corrupt nationalism, and the Vox Populi working to rid Columbia of its inherent xenophobia and nationalism by ANY means possible. Elizabeth and her abilities will serve as the key point on which the outcome hinges.

* A brand-new engine is being utilized for this game. Any buildings or objects you see in the distance exist in real-time, and any floating building is subject to physics regardless of distance.

* The radial menus are gone now, meaning that you're no longer limited in your weapon selection, requiring you to be more adaptable to the environment and enemies.

* Combat has also been modified to give more of an urgent pace, especially with the addition of skyline combat, moving along automated zipline tracks from building to building, and track to track, while fighting passing enemies both melee- and ranged-style.

* In addition to abilities granted through upgrades, certain powers are now granted temporarily by drinking bottles called vigors. Each one has a set number of uses, with weaker ones having more uses and stronger ones having less. One new power, called Murder of Crows, allows crow-summoning attacks at a distance.

* Since Columbia will have people that mostly won't shoot first, you can walk into certain hot spots and listen to conversation, gaining hints and little tidbits about Columbian life... until either you or somebody else decides to open fire.

* The upgrade system has been revamped, making any upgrades you choose permanent, and thus affecting the types of vigors you can obtain as well. Each choice you make will also have a moral and political impact that is being kept secret at this time.

* Multiplayer is currently unconfirmed. Apparently, Ken Levine and the team haven't yet come up with anything fitting enough to take place in the world of Infinite, but they're not ruling out the possibility.

* The revival mechanism will currently be returning to the Bio Shock 1 aproach: no option to shut it off, but no penalty for dying either. This may not stay that way, however, as the team behind Infinite is working to see if they can make it better.

* The title is significant. This isn't being considered a Bio Shock 3, but the significance of it being called Infinite will be revealed in due time...

...did you watch that fucking gamplay? that was riveting.

I'm gonna go ahead & just leave this right here, so when this drops in like 2012 and gets called Game Of The fucking Forever, i can find it easily:

Colbert-ICALLEDIT.gif

1) we're talking about a game 2 years away.

2) frankly? for Levine, fuck multiplayer, and fuck 2nd playthroughs. RE4 was linear as fuck, had numerous scripted events (as did Bioshock 1, even with its setup), and i look forward to replaying them every few years when inclined.

i'll never get why you play anything other than sandbox games if you want that. Heavy Rain's a fine example of a game that's meant for 1 awesome/tense playthrough, nature of the game means it's gonna unfold according to its linear story/series of events. if the story/environment actually hold me, i'm glad the market still has room for efforts like that.

GOTF.

You're right, Nick! An encounter where you HAVE to use lightning and you HAVE to use telekinesis to survive are fantastic design elements. After all, what we want is a game that tells us how we should be playing, instead of figuring it out for ourselves.

I said what I meant - that looked like a grouping of scripted encounters that do not lend themselves to second approaches. And that's a shame, considering how some people pumped themselves up to awesomeness so they can tank any encounter, where I made myself stealth/melee. Recognize my skepticism - it may look cool, but it's shoehorning your approach.

Sixty dollars for ten hours you can only play once is bad money these days.

• Downvote 1

first off, you're doing it wrong whenever you're paying $60.

second, again, a video to garner game interest 2 years before a game comes out looks scripted, like it's trying to take you by the hand and show you a few things in the time allotted...? /MINDBLOWN.

in all seriousness: you know full well there's multiple ways to clear a room (traps, let enemies fight themselves, etc well before the barrage of plasmids). it mystifies me how you think an early video would lead to the design team berrying their own design for the series; i very much doubt the non-story parts of the game's entirety are going to be played on-the-rails, if that alleviates your odd fears.

allow me to summarize the validity of your nitpickety thus far:

vgr5hv.jpg

JZA - video's on Live too, i'm told. post the cover when you get a chance, haven't seen it yet. you should enjoy the propaganda stuff in said vid, i know i did.