Hondo's Bar

Bioshock Infinite

Visitant

oh, man, ive been meaning to do a topic (if we havent yet) on game health: everybody hates on hide-behind-the-wall-and-regen health this gen, but i dont know how many of you really want health packs to make a huge comeback, either.

HUD-less could potentially work here, i think. Dead Space doesn't get its due for its efforts with this: i totally knew everything i needed to know without cluttering the screen, and would love to see that kind've effort go into more FPS/3rd person shooters. Uncharted's not bad here either. i dont mind tossing out minimaps if i can quickly access a decent full-size one hitting select or the like. what i love about this setting is that, from what ive seen, it looks like the kinda game id dig getting lost & wandering around in.

i gotta get bishop up in here to cease the saturn-hate. i used to mock the thing too till i realized the classics id slept on, and still havent had a fair chance to get into...here's to the current emulator, said to be awesome.

Good god you're right. Dead Space was so on the money with this for seamless integration of all relevant info & inventory management. I've sworn I gotta do a second Bioshock 2 runthrough, so I'll test out that HUDless option you mentioned, Mal.

In terms of hating on regen, I dislike it because I'm a horder in any such situation that calls for it(or even gives the opportunity). I love stimpacks, goddamnit and save them like rare candies, and hiding behind a wall to regen health not only breaks momentum in a big fight, but it also breaks immersion as you're reminded that you're simply playing a game.

see, the argument against healthpacks (as ive heard it) was similar, that some felt it broke the game for them, constantly running about in search of heal-me-nows...but if we're going for "realism", yeah, it's not like getting shot twice in the head, seeing the screen go black and white/red/dark etc and just covering long enough to relieve that feels great either, and i can totally see what you're saying about momentum of a firefight, or that 4th-wall-ish thing racing game fans bitch about when invisible borders on a track get bumped and scream "you're playing a video game, here."

see, conceptually (and nothing more), i recall thinking that element of Haze was gonna be interesting - if i understood it right, you had to use stims/other drugs to keep your speed & health up, but there was supposed to be detrimental effects for this too, so you'd have to consider if it was worth it or chancing it on your own two feet. what we ended up with was a disc full of shit that dropped this entirely, but yeah, auto-regen only worked for me in :wolvy: games or others where the character was said to have this ability, and id still love to play a game that fucks with you in its later chapters for basically OD'ing on morphine or another painkiller in lieu of actually letting yourself heal.

Fallout's a cunt for that. Aside from generic stimpacks, all your other boosters like Buffout & whatnot will temporarily boost your stats, but then either reduce others(one such instance left me unable to communicate in anything but grunts because my intelligence was reduced to like, 1) for a corresponding period, or permanently.

• 9 months later...

Another World: BioShock Infinite vs Reality

bsjedi.jpg

Those of us who didn’t spend the best part of a week legging it around a giant convention centre earlier this month could only swoon at the resulting tall tales of BioShock: Infinite’s newly-announced reality-rift feature, known as Tears. Now we get our own crack in space-time to peer through, as Ken Levine talks about (and demonstrates) companion character Elizabeth’s ability to introduce elements from other realities into the player’s game-world.

The theory is that there are any number of alternate universes she can tap into, where Columbia is broadly similar but with tiny changes to paths and populace. The idea of choice here – that you could choose whether to bring over a new skyline or a door to get away, or a clutch of ‘friendly’ NPCs to help battle your current foe, or just something to hide behind – is pretty neat, and in the BioShock idiom of choosing and combat being closely aligned.

Also, a brief glimpse of what happens when Beth’s (do you think she minds if I call her Beth?) powers go a bit haywire and time as well as parallel reality is traverseed…

Is it technically a quote if I fix spelling errors?

Reality-bending – the new Little Sister harvesting/saving?

And there’s sooooooooo going to be a Rapture visit. An Easter Egg at the very least.

Sounds like it could potentially be pretty cool from here, and open the series up to infinite (geddit?) spinoffs, as if it wasn't already.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't mind the switchout because the trailers I've seen still appear to put a lot of focus on ambience. ANd I mean, agree with the reigning philosophy or not, Rapture could stand shoulder-to with any destination seen in videogames for immersion. Is there a thread for that shit? Hmm...

So Im sure alot of you have seen the trailer, but just in case Im posting it. And while I think it's pretty weird that theres going to be a Bioshock game that isnt underwater, Im still so excited about this game Im having trouble thinking clearly.

bioshock-rapture-motto.jpg

Alright, where to begin.

First off I'd like to applaud Irrational for stepping up to create a Bioshock UNIVERSE, and not keeping the whole mess in Rapture. I LOVED Bio 1 and 2, and I love the hell out of Rapture (I spent HOURS on the ARG they put out a year before Bio2s release).

[note, I know 2k Marin did Bio 2, but it was easier to lump the games together here based on title and not development studio].

atlas-shrugged.jpg

Once you understand the concepts behind Rapture and Columbia you understand why those worlds were constructed the way they were. Rapture and Bio 1 were all about the destruction of Ayn Rands philosophy, showing how a world who's concept is based on her ideals can quickly fall apart because of the force of will of just one man.

Bioshock two is harder to pinpoint at first because the idea of a man being worth his labor was already explored in Bioshock. What we get in two is the reversal, that the COMMUNITY is stronger than the individual and again we get to see how that can fall apart as well. Both of these concepts are easy to root in the social structure of Rapture while giving us, the player and amazing place to play in.

This takes us to Bioshock Infinite in which of the main themes they are trying to touch on here is extreme patriotism. Columbia is an America at the height of "science" with things like the Worlds Trade Fair in Chicago and Americans were "AMERICANS GODDAMMIT". Proud and loyal till the end.

401px-Chicago_world%27s_fair%2C_a_century_of_progress%2C_expo_poster%2C_1933%2C_2.jpg

A place like Rapture that was constructed the way it was in ideology would not fit the concepts that Irrational is going for here. Now do airships really fit into that idea? I'd like to think so. We will know more when the game is released but as it stands I have faith in Levine and his team to do right by the Bioshock universe. After all, they invented it.

Edited by Bindusara

• 3 months later...
BioShock® Infinite Now Planned for February 2013

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--2K Games announced today that BioShock® Infinite from Irrational Games is now planned to launch worldwide on February 26, 2013.

Ken Levine, Creative Director of Irrational Games, stated, “When we announced the release date of BioShock Infinite in March, we felt pretty good about the timing. Since then, we’ve uncovered opportunities to make Infinite into something even more extraordinary. Therefore, to give our talented team the time they need to deliver the best Infinite possible, we’ve decided to move the game’s release to February.

About BioShock Infinite

BioShock Infinite, developed by Irrational Games, won over 75 editorial awards at E3 2011, including the Game Critics Awards’ Best of Show.

In this first-person shooter, the player assumes the role of former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt, who is sent to Columbia to rescue Elizabeth, a young woman imprisoned there since childhood. He develops a relationship with Elizabeth, augmenting his abilities with hers so they may escape from a city literally falling from the sky. DeWitt learns to fight foes in high-speed Sky-Line battles, engage in combat both indoors and amongst the clouds, and harnesses the power of dozens of new weapons and abilities.

BioShock Infinite is in development for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows-based PC, and is not yet rated by the ESRB.

For more information on BioShock Infinite please visit http://www.bioshockinfinite.com.

ipis3O688mRj9.gif

yeah, so...this sucks.

• 5 months later...