Hondo's Bar

Dark Souls

The NZA

ive got the stone stuff, found it in a treasure chest. its what im wearing right now for armor, with that ring that boosts carrying load. its strong but way too heavy for what it offers....i might use the gauntlets though, as i noted.

whatd your pyro end up wearing? and if i can handle that boss that particular way, i think buying shouldn't be the bigger problem.

Gold-hemmed for most of his life. I ended up switching to a combination of things so as not to look like pretty much everybody else. Never cared to upgrade any of it, primarily because my priority was to either not be hit, or to make it so that my shield could take the hit like a champ and leave me enough stamina to do what I had to do.

I'm currently rockin' a full set of Havel's (minus the weapon) and marching through the game like the giant boulder in Indiana Jones.

Just beat the first of the four (did scaleless dude), I guess I'm going to explore the catacombs more thoroughly and valley of giants now.

i fuckin' knew it.

those 13k souls are gone forever, i only make about 3 or so on each run anyway - gargoyles & the 2 guards are no problem, but once i run up there, i'm gonna have to man up & roll, even if i can seemingly fall down whilst running a goddamn straight line.

what sucks is there's messages showing where there fucking spears cant hit, "sniper spot here". really? what the fuck can i hit them with from all the way over here?! let's pretend im not somehow down to 30 fucking arrows; i can hit the walls near them but that's it. this part is gonna be fun.

20 something minutes today dying on said archers. :hulk: i'm just gonna cheese them next time with that trick where you make them follow you back to a dusty death, fuck those guys.

...i'd wanted to make this post while i was still angry at the game, to somehow balance it out.

Dark Souls is the game of the fucking year. (much love to Yakuza 4; you held it down for most of it, buddy!) - i very much look forward to Zelda, Uncharted 3 and a few others, and id absolutely love if they debunked this, but i very much doubt it, for reasons Los had with Demons back in '09 that finally click - there's just so much content. I stopped knocking my dudebro friends for only buying the new Madden & COD every year when i realized how cool it must be to really get that much out of one title and its community, and even then, this thing has so much more going for it in my eyes. it's a perfect marriage of my love of single-player campaigns with some online features that don't dull the experience.

but someone special came together for me when i was in Sen's Fortress. it was pointed out on a youtube video id seen later, but it's so awesome when you catch it - there's this one part, towards the end of the level when you're ascending the structure itself, where you go up yet another set of stairs and see one of those not-so-scary-at-this-point riposte knight assholes to your left. I lay waste to him, and after him...nothing. just an empty goddamn bridge! first, i realized how very much this game rewards exploration, that i'd even bitch about this. and not just easy shit like that; it adores making me go 15 minutes or so up from a safe, warm campsite and showing me something valuable looking off in the distance - do i really wanna try to jump this chasm, or chance it with the armada around it? i can have what's there, but it's gonna cost me. the risk/reward sort've cost/benefit offered is such a great way to make treasures i might not even use feel more meaningful.

but that wasn't what got me: if you pan the camera around, you can see everything. there's the gargoyle's tower! there's the 2nd bell, and the darkroot forest! i had this awesome sense of progression, but then it clicked: this is the biggest goddamn Metroidvania i've ever played. It's all connected. Demons Souls had one of the few hub worlds i didn't mind, but design-wise, this does make the varying areas so much easier since you don't have to worry about any sense of transition - this one says fuck all that. I realized how much i take for granted, since we're several gens into 3D gaming here, how many times shortcuts i open are usually just convenient portals to somewhere else - no, looking at the big map in my guide, they all make sense. From here, you start picking up more & more details - Blighttown seems like what overran from the sewers, but when you're in its depths, look up & about - you can see the foundation of the castle. how cool is that? the entire world is one big place that's entirely connected - the last time a game bothered to do that for me was FF XII.

Even the art direction stepped the fuck up - by all prior accounts in gaming, the sewer level, the darkroot forest, these should've been boring, empty places, or at least as out of place as Ash lake is (and fuck, you made a scary beach, From. props). but no, they're more well-lit than demons (and thank god for that, my plasma's too fucking dark anyway) but still very much alive & in the vein of the series. I constantly take risks but have to explore every corner, and still manage to miss shit constantly. The design in Ando Londor clearly feels inspired by that famous art piece of winding stairways which i totally forget right now - point is, it's gorgeous and really well done even if it's a constant frustration for me.

60 hours in, and ive still got so many zones left unexplored - i gotta do it all at least one time more for my plat, and then i look forward to returning to invade realms, assist people with bosses, work in covenant stuff & explore the game's lore more, etc. Even with the bugs, I'm having a very hard time thinking of any angle of Demons they didn't manage to improve on, outside of the boss of Latria.

I was actually just thinking today about how cool a rotatable 3D map of this would be. All of the connections make sense in physical space.

I'm having fun with it.

P.S. i talked to CARLO today. He's about 30 hours in.

"Hey, cool. So where you at?"

"I'm in the poison swamp at the bottom of Blight Town. About to kill the boss."

"Oh man, I had some trouble with that one. What level are you?"

"430"

HwGfM.gif

He's having fun though, and that's the whole point.

ahaha...shamelessly duping.

one of my qualms with it personally is that it'll rule out any hope of assisting or invading others, and i know i could start another character but i wanna go all out with this one, even if im clearly not doing so great yet - was human today in ando for like a minute & got invaded (that's what my sins get me), and i swear i got trolled. this fatty pyro must've used Iron Skin cause he moved slow but i did chip damage at best - his fireballs weren't really bad, but i went in for a closer hit and he did what los is assuming is Combustion, because he barely touched me, i ignited & lost like 70% health.

motherfucker. i indicted you, sure, but just let me get this lordvessel - ima step my shit up and be back. you ain't had to teabag my corpse.

Yeah, I summon A LOT. I like to always have a couple of bros around if I can. Kinda makes me wish I got it on 360, because even though they disabled party chat, they did nothing to private chat. Apparently the online community is a whole different animal over there. Yeah, it isnt as From intended, but it still sounds fun.

yeah, i get that - but online gaming misanthrope that i am, there's something special about summoning someone, both of you bowing, and then getting down to business.

i remember back in '07 i had this one kotaku dude that would keep requesting i join his halo game, then leave voice messages asking why i wouldn't. i told him i didnt own the game then, and to check my achievements if he didnt believe me - dude left like 3 messages yelling about me being a phony and a liar and he bets im not even a firefighter, just some dude who thinks he's too good to get off of Condemned or whatever i had going and play with people.

between him and all the balls i saw in Uno games after hours, i really got a poor view at playing with folks i didn't know. but yeah, when i got invaded (after the 2nd campsite) i was so only human just to look for sigils that weren't there.

I've had really good luck with invasions. I got super fucked the first few times, but ever since Ive embraced my status as a tank, shit has been going my way. I'm like "Ooo! Free humanity!"

Seriously, it always seems to be the same agile, lightly armored fire users. They try to backstab me (lol, now do it 5 more times before I drink) and lob some spells, but I just patiently poke them from behind my shield. Its been at least 15 hours since I was successfully invaded.

Best place that I know of. Re-post from who-knows-how-many pages back. Save up 20K souls and buy the key from the first blacksmith, then unlock the door in the forest.

You basically just pull the 3 dudes and then chill on the cliff next to the stairs, try to position yourself so they land on your head and fall. If they don't fall, just block or kick 'em off the edge.

The problem is sometimes they'll get stuck in trees or decide to just shoot you with magic at the base of the steps,until eventually they get bored and wander away. I can take the mage dudes 1vs1 now, so I usually just clean'em up real quick when this happens.

Mal says he found a better spot, but he also says he invented Tang, sooo..../shrug

heh.

wasted 40 minutes on archers, finally got past them (way easier to just block the guy on the right's sword and let him fall off), was just about at the boss when the black orb went off - it's that fucker i freed who killed the lady at firelink! had to run to work, dying to take him out tomorrow.

That orb was my first taste of vengeance. Y'know how you can indict people that piss you off or become indicted by being a dick to NPC's and some righteous bastard may randomly try to kill you?

I am now that righteous bastard. I joined the covenant for it, and I get to go around as a spirit of vengeance killing those that have wronged. I have like 2 bosses left and I've totally stalled the game because I'm just constantly exacting retribution. You don't even have to be human! Penalty if you lose? Start at a bonfire. It's fucking sweet.

Today was a good because:

Farm the fuck out of souls at that spot for hours.

Hit Level 83.

Killed that Hydra fucker in lake ash.

Killed that Lava asshole monster.

On the other hand:

No fucking way am I going to explore the new ruins after the lava drained.

Saw what was waiting for me and said fuck that.

nice! yeah, Los is exploring down there, ill wait on his report, heh. did you hide behind that rock for the Hydra fight? made my life a lot easier.

logans - ima so join them. i think ill get the trophy for joining err'body and then get with that one fulltime. youve gotta have some sins on your hands though, huh? heh.

I'm not sure that I do, really. I haven't done anything particularly villainous. I've abandoned several covenants, not sure if that's the same as breaking them.

Anyway, if I don't now, I will in the very near future.

33p8r9l.jpg

At least all the firekeepers, for their sweet, sweet souls.

re: Demon's Ruins. Those big dudes are really slow and they will almost all come at you one at a time if you approach carefully. I think there's one unavoidable double pull, and that's pretty nasty.

As for the Cabra Demons, I was talking to Mal about this: the one in undead burg is only a problem because you're in close quarters. It's cramped as shit in there, and the camera being a jerk doesn't help. They aren't much of an issue in an open area. Be very, VERY careful not to pull every goddamn one of them at the foot of the stairs though.