Hondo's Bar

Christina Aguilera's New Vid

Well... I think I wet my pants. She's a great singer in my opinion, and thank God she's not singing bubble gum pop music. 2nd album flopped BTW, she went on a European-rave binge and it quickly disappeared from the shelves, so I guess she's gotta make a come back.

Go download the Dirrty video, that's not a typo. Get a towel.

She does have a Damn good voice but she needs to decide twhat the hell her image is. She tried the spanish thing and gave it up, now she thinks shes black.

But above all... GAIN SOME WEIGHT WOMAN! She's gonna dissapear soon if she doesnt get some meat on them bones!

who gives a shit if she can sing or not. britanny cant sing half as well but puts in tripple the effort in her quest for stardom. that i can respect, good old fashoned guts to go do something.

Everyone seems to forgive all of cristina's shortcommings just because she can sing. well fuck, when did that give her a license to be a skank with a wannabe attitude? While britanny puts on a show ( thts what she gets paid for), cristina really buys into her own bullshit. :D

as good ol Woody used to say, " Bones are for the dog, meat is for the Man" :D mmmm britanny's got them legs...

Yeah, quoting Woody on women's a great idea. Meat = fat in that equation, no thanks.

Be serious, Britney whores herself out to kids, then tries for the older crowd, and you respect her whroing despite a lack of talent? If its looks your aruging, then that's up to individual taste, fair enough, but their entertainers, they sing, if people make a big fuss over it, its cause that's their job... a hack can only market themselves out for so long, and even if it wentn on forever, theyd still be a hack. I know you respect sucess almost solely, but respect her managers then. As a singer - her job - she's shit.

Dont know bout buying into bullshit - Britney seems just as guilty, im secretly glad i dont follow these things much - but every time i see Spears on the cover of Rolling Stone or listen to her lyrics, theyre that much skankier. You cant be serious here.

but their entertainers, they sing

yeah yeah, and pro wrestlers battle it out to see who's best.

I'm not comparing Whitney Houston to Mariah Carey, its fucking britanny and cristina for crying out loud. look at the video! is all the fuss about her singing abilities? hell no, she cld be tone def for crying out loud.

Let the Show move on ! :D

Fair enough, neither of these two are exactly innovators, i just really respect talent. Of course, id really respect it if she wrote her own stuff, it was original, etc.

That's prolly why i fuss when Mariah gets trashed...yeah, yeah she's a skank, her acting's horrendous, her style changed a lot, etc but she's still a helluva singer, ya know? And yes, hot too.

"It's not that I mind always selling less than boybands & such, per se, its that Id just like to be beaten out by someone who, you know, can actually sing or play a fucking instrument." - Kid Rock

Right so, when my computer is ressurected ill check out the video. And yes, Yahven, Britney has good legs.

• 5 weeks later...

not to beat a dead horse here..never knew this topic existed..stumbled on it today..

so yes christina can sing and what not, but the woman has NO SENSE OF SELF, she's a goddamn peice of meat rolling around in the mud and trying to freak up on some girl... who do you think she's selling to? GUYS LIKE YOU. i no longer respect that talent i thought she posessed, and is it just me, or doesn't it look like she got a boob job?

and brittney..i agree with nick..she does whore herself out to kids, then when she wasn't taken seriously as an "artist" by a more mature audience she got all upset, i wonder WHY, with lyrics that contain "baby" every other word. but i do think brittney is an entertainer, no doubt about it. the girl can dance.

so i'm writing this essay for this feminist scholarship i'm entering (yea i know i just opened myself up for floggings with that comment) but part of my essay is on why most teenage girls lack a sense of self, therefore leading to a life of discontentment, and i think this is a result of girls like CHRISTINA AGUILERA and like guys like you fawning over them, you take an average 16 year old who doesn't really think for herself and naturally she's going to buy into that ideal,

girls like def and i are few and far between, we both honestly don't give a fuck about how brittney's legs look in relation to ours, but most girls DO care a great deal, and when they can't live up to these supposed standards of what young women should be like, they always try hard to acheive this unrealistic ideal..but i digress..

with lyrics that contain "baby" every other word

That's not true. There's equal concentration of the words 'yeah' and 'hey.' Actually 'baby' might be one of the only polysylambic word in most of britney's and christina's songs.

I just came across all this extra discussion on this thread too. I hadn't read anything said here since my last post here. It's my opinion that boy bands and teeny bopper pop stars are beyond the point of even deserving commentary. Just acknowledging these "musician's" exitance is more attention that they deserve from me. Though, as embarassed as I am to say this, I think N'SYNC's "Gone" is a halfway decent song. Not sure if it's the doing of any of the members of the band or a producer, because evidently, the members all can play instruments and do some composition. Either way, I seem them possibly taking a Beatles-like metamorphosis, but until then, their music doesn't concern me at all.

I don't consider boy bands, or even teeny-boppers to be the dregs of musical entertainment. Hell, some of their songs are occasionally good. I agree with JMT, "Gone" is a pretty damn well written and well done song. Groups like that can make good music when they forget their image, for once, and just do what they're supposed to be doing. I personally like 98 Degrees (and this is coming from someone who hates most pop) because they can make good music...and they actually write their own songs. Y'gotta give them some credit for that.

• 2 months later...

ok... yall are gonna bash me too. but it's not so much about image to me here. I flip on the radio and that's what i wanna hear - good tunes that i like. ok - so what if christina's bearing it now? yeah, it's disappointing to see her do something like mariah and go skank, but i like that dirrty song. There is actually a better mix than the original that 93.1 (nick'll back me on this station) plays called the tracy young remix. remember, there's other skank all the way artists out there... sometimes just plain freaky. i mean, prince is like that, and he's just oozing with talent. on the other hand, marlyn manson is crappy. he's smart though! hell, i'd rather bitch about other artists, and that's cause i don't like their music, not image... chris rock, busta rhymes, etc

oh, yeah, backing silent bob here- i also like 98 degrees, n sync, bsb, and five, blah, blah, blah.... they HAVE talent. They can sing well. people are suprised when their stereotypes are broken when they sing at baseball games. I like a lot of their music, not all. albiet, they're not as good as groups like boys II men.

Cristina shows her piercings

I cant argue with Spiffy in that one should listen to the music not be so caught up in the musician's image...Ive been subjected to boybands a great deal, having worked in a record store, and no, "gone" sucks but youre entitled to like it.

I also like Jont's quote.

Its not the image-changing thing so much that bothers me as the chosen images i guess, in that...

Britney was, like it or not, a role model for little girls, as little girls really dont have much of one (barbie? ask a feminist what she thinks of that, and theyve got good reasons to think it).

So she played the part, made her money, and like you guys said, decided to "mature" her songs, change the key lyric from "baby" to "boys!", and so on. She's not quite as skank as Christina these days but honestly, she's not that far off either.

I know Yahven's gonna say she's smart to milk a dumb business while she can, but to be a role model to lil girls and then be a ho, it aint right. Im the last person to talk about censorship or what an artist "owes" to their community sometimes, but if you do the role model thing, you take on some responsibility, like it or not. One minute youre relating to young teens with "baby baby" lyrics created by TeenHit 5.0 Pro and the next youre wearing a shoestring with two stamps for a bra, talkin bout what your man should do to you all night long and shit? Few crowds more impressionable than dumb young teenage girls, way to give em somethin to look up to.

PS yes, credit is given if you write your own material & such, just dont make it so generic.

good point, IC. Never thought of it from the parental standpoint. But go download that mix, it's a good one. I actually heard it before the original version (you know, since i like to drive 93.1 style.) Then one day, i was listening to another station, and i heard the original version, and i was like... this sucks...

the link i put up before is kinda rawnchy, so be foreworned.

• 9 years later...

CDF (didn't know old pop stars had a defense force, did you? neither did I) apparently saying it's tanning cream kept in her loose bum or something, because that's somehow a better angle than a natural occurrence you forgot to wear a tampon for at etta james' funeral, but if you look at the hue hahaha oh man what the fuck am i typing here