Hondo's Bar

X-Men: First Class

Now that my brain's working I can add: Kevin Bacon really needs a new agent. Also, January Jones while hot, was a spectacularly overpaid prop-piece(Whenever I saw her & Shaw in that white Sub room it reminded me of the campest kind of Bond Villain) and she otherwise contributed nothing to procedings.

MagnAtoe(y'know, like potatoe) was fucking great for the first half as the ninja bad-arse, and then just great in the second half as the Magneto-in-training we know and love.

It's so sad, how much fun charles had running with the wind in his hair.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome. Loved it.

Loved the jokes about Charles and his hair

I've always liked Michael Fassbender and have always wondered why he wasn't in more films. I hope that this will be the one to launch this guy's career so that I can fantasize about him he can be a household name! Yeah, his accent came out but it didn't take away from his part...

January Jones? Meh. I never liked her as Betty Draper and I like her just as much as Betty Frost, er I mean, Emma Frost. It's like she's one dimensional and her characters are all the same.

I didn't stay for the end of the credits because of Thelogan's post -- gee I hope he didn't DoJ me...

. . .I didn't stay for the end of the credits because of Thelogan's post -- gee I hope he didn't DoJ me...

No, he didn't. There was sadly nothing post credits. I tried telling my group this, but they wouldn't listen. There were about 50 pissed off theater-goers at the end of those credits.

I can really sum up my favorite experiences with the movie by saying "Magneto's a badass". They do some really cool shit with him. A young, spry, angry Magneto out for vengeance is just a bad motherfucking force of nature.

Yes, Fassbender and his waxing/waning German-Irish accented Magneto were definitely the best thing about this film filled with great performances and action sequences.

Now that is how you make an X-Men film. By far the best of the entire franchise although I'm not so sure it's part of the old franchise, a lotta shit doesn't make sense time wise. Personally I wouldn't be bothered if they just did a Star Trek on it, and alternate timeline it, so as we don't know what to expect when it comes to sequels.

Agreed on all counts. I saw it w/ a group as well and one chick really didn't want to see this movie at all and she ended up liking it.

No doubt they set this up as a pre-quel to the previous three X-films. . .

The cameos alone prove that. Speaking of which, lots of shoutouts to Jackman's Wolvie cameo so far--and I agree w/ Bindy it was the best use of "fuck": in a PG-13 film yet--but Rebecca Romajin's cameo as Mystique was also on target.

...However, I don't think many fans would object to this first class team showing up in another film or two even if it involved retconn'n the hell outta the Singer/Ratner films.

As for faults, not many. More Bacon/Shaw using his powers woulda been nice. I agree w/ Jax that the Emma Frost hate isn't really justified as the character was underused and even misused. . .

She could read the CIA agents' minds and cut through the glass but not escape? Bitch, please. I suppose one could argue she was just waiting for Shaw's plans to come to fruition and for him to come rescue her, but that's a BIG stretch.

Jay's Bond comment is sadly on target. I sense there will be an Erik/Raven/Emma triangle if there's another X film w/ this cast.

No, he didn't. There was sadly nothing post credits. I tried telling my group this, but they wouldn't listen. There were about 50 pissed off theater-goers at the end of those credits.

Yes, Fassbender and his waxing/waning German-Irish accented Magneto were definitely the best thing about this film filled with great performances and action sequences.

Agreed on all counts. I saw it w/ a group as well and one chick really didn't want to see this movie at all and she ended up liking it.

No doubt they set this up as a pre-quel to the previous three X-films. . .

The cameos alone prove that. Speaking of which, lots of shoutouts to Jackman's Wolvie cameo so far--and I agree w/ Bindy it was the best use of "fuck": in a PG-13 film yet--but Rebecca Romajin's cameo as Mystique was also on target.

...However, I don't think many fans would object to this first class team showing up in another film or two even if it involved retconn'n the hell outta the Singer/Ratner films.

As for faults, not many. More Bacon/Shaw using his powers woulda been nice. I agree w/ Jax that the Emma Frost hate isn't really justified as the character was underused and even misused. . .

She could read the CIA agents' minds and cut through the glass but not escape? Bitch, please. I suppose one could argue she was just waiting for Shaw's plans to come to fruition and for him to come rescue her, but that's a BIG stretch.

Jay's Bond comment is sadly on target. I sense there will be an Erik/Raven/Emma triangle if there's another X film w/ this cast.

Ratner's film shouldn't even be canon, and much love to Singer, but I don't think anyone would have a problem with this being point zero of a new continuity. They've done/ are doing it with every other franchise.

It's one thing to be upset that Emma Frost was not interesting or was poory represented, I'm just sying it's not January Jones' fault. She wasn't yelling 'cut' at the end of scenes and deciding when they good the right take. Aarty doesn't seem to like her as Betty Draper in Mad Men, but I do, and I think most people that watch that show do. She capable of playing emotional complexity. Maybe she'll be more complex in the next one, Mystique was developed way more in X2 than in X1. If there is a next one, that is. This one only made $56M this weekend, a low for the franchise (the first X-Men technically made $54.5M its opening, but that was 11 years ago, and the budget was less than half of this one's). Word of mouth is good though, but it's hard for movies to compete week after week during the summer; every weekend sees another major opening. Super 8 next week, Green Lantern after that, Cars 2 after that....

You're preaching to the choir here w/ January Jones/Frost, Jax.

I just read the news online about the disappointing (?) box office opening for First Class. It's a damn shame as this is clearly the best of the bunch when it comes to X-iflms. And I cringed when I read Wolverine: Origins opened to over $80million. This film is 10x the movie that mess was. I think it'd have to stay strong and break $100million domestic for a sequel w/ this cast to be greenlit. Weird, here we fanboys are debating if FC should be a re-boot or remain a prequel and the franchise may not even continue w/ this cast at all. :pinch:

So i'm gonna X-men nerd out for a second, I apologize.

Having recently read the Magneto testament I was slightly offended that they decided to show his number. Now as a friend tried to defend it to me, they wanted to have a marker of some kind to show you "yes this is the kid you saw earlier." because audiences are stupid, but in the back of the Testament they said that they didn't show his number for a reason, so they didn't have any direct connection or offended someone who had that number living or dead.

I know it seems like such a small thing but I was like "REALLY?!" when it happened.

This post may or may not have been under the influence of a bottle of wine and several martinis.

Wine and martinis, Bindy? Really? I knew it.

Yes, I only have so much time to get drunk in a day so I had to select something that could get me where I needed to be in a short time. You might complain about it now, but you won't complain about it later when...

my penis is in your mouth

So, after that opening weekend, I'm afraid that the studio is probably too scared to make another X-Men movie without Wolverine. SO I say, lets just call this a total reboot, throw the previous films out the window. They should give us a 2nd movie with Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Thunderbird and Sunfire saving the first team from Krakoa. Then they can promptly kill off Thunderbird and Sunfire.

Then, THEN...THEN ...They give us a Days of Future Past movie, and they can muddle it up a bit to introduce Cable and Bishop while they're there.

No it was always Goon Of Fortune(named after the gameshow, naturally). I guess your memory's not at it's best when you spend the night drinking cask wine off a clothesline & seeing how far you can pee in a straight line while walking.

• 2 months later...

Now that everyone who gives a shit has probably seen it, I want to talk about how unfairly this movie treated Darwin. Spoilery stuff follows.

I know I've ranted about the godly potential of Iceman before, much to the dismay of the entire world, but he ain't got shit on Darwin. I'm not exactly sure why he isn't considered Omega level.

First off, if his mutation is to perpetuate his own survival, then why the hell is he a black guy in the 60's? If they do a sequel to this, I hope they point out that his body just turned into sentient particles that could reassemble themselves once Shaw was gone, because that's probably exactly what he'd do.

I read World War Hulk recently, dude went toe to toe until his mutation determined that the best course of action was to teleport several hundred miles away (Dear Hondos spell check: why is "teleport" not a word but "Grok" is? Is the site biased towards Heinlein?).

I haven't read enough X-Factor to comment on his exploits there ( I know, NZA, I'm getting to it. How are you coming along with The Big Blue Banana?(no, not Dr. Manhattan's penis)) , but the guy is clearly a badass. He wouldn't go down like that.

Archived