Hondo's Bar

X-Men: First Class

Fucka Hondo's search engine! I know there's gotta be a thread for this on here already, but damn it if I can't find it. Anyway, here's some info on the film:

XMEN-560x206.jpg

"X-Men: First Class" takes place in the 1960s, when Professor X (played here by James McAvoy) and Magneto (Michael Fassbender) were still friends and not yet bitter adversaries. Lawrence described the movie as an origin story more than a prequel, and that Mystique is not the villainess that she is in the previous movies. The photo shows that even the costumes are a bit of a throwback; they retain the yellow and blue color scheme of the X-Men uniforms from the original comic books.

One character who still hasn't been revealed is the film's main bad guy, Sebastian Shaw, played by Kevin Bacon. Lawrence told me she has filmed a few scenes with Bacon, "and that is my favorite thing about coming to work."

xmen2-560x462.jpgxmen3-560x412.jpg

http://wearemoviegeeks.com/2011/01/x-men-first-class-cast-photo-revealed/comment-page-1/

X-Men First Class charts the epic beginning of the X-Men saga, and reveals a secret history of famous global events. Before mutants had revealed themselves to the world, and before Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Not archenemies, they were instead at first the closest of friends, working together with other Mutants (some familiar, some new), to stop Armageddon. In the process, a grave rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magneto’s Brotherhood and Professor X’s X-Men.

Directed by Matthew Vaughn, the film stars James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Rose Byrne, Jones, Kevin Bacon, Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence, Caleb Landry Jones, Lucas Till, Edi Gathegi, Jason Flemyng, Oliver Platt, Morgan Lily, Zoe Kravitz and Bill Bilner. X-MEN: FIRST CLASS will be in theaters on June 3, 2011.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vaughan on the above images

On the highly critized leaked photo released a few days ago:

I freaked out on them yesterday. I don't know where the hell that came from. I don't think it's a Fox image. It's not a pre-approved image. When I found out, I said, what the f*** is this shit, and Fox is running around trying to figure out what happened as well. I agree. It's like a bad photoshop, which maybe it was by someone. It didn't reflect the movie. I was shocked when I saw it. I was like 'Jesus Christ.

On trying to reassure fans:

I'm a fan of X-Men. We're not bastardizing X-Men, I'm trying to get them back to being whole again.

And regarding the costumes:

The costumes are blue and yellow as well, because f*** it, lets take it back it the original. Also, by the way, those costumes are hardly in the movie. The main costumes are like these cool 60's James Bond.

On the setting of the film:

Imagine the Cuban Missile crisis and discovering that mutants exist, both at the same time." … "The actors are so great. Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart are very very hard to replace. When I'm watching Fassbender and McAvoy you just think, it sort of reminds me of Daniel Craig doing Bond, you kind of forget there were other people playing him. And that's what I feel about these two.

Regarding the tone of the film:

It's definitely more serious and more realistic, and I think that's something that had to happen. That's my feeling about the world we live in right now. I think the glossy colorful superhero film sorta had its day. I think Batman Begins started it, Dark Knight, dare I say Kick-Ass was fun and it had some real pop to it, but at the same time we grounded it in reality as much as possible. I think that's what the audience wants. And that why that image is more Fantastic Four than it is X-Men. And I say that with all due respect to the Fantastic Four team. That was then and this is now. It's a different time. I mean, look at me — I'm not exactly mister light.

Also

First Official X-Men: First Class Stills, Plus Set Report

The promotion is really kicking in now. La Times' Hero Complex have not only 3 new stills from the film, but quotes from director Mathew Vaughn and cast member James McAvoy(Xavier) as well as producer Bryan Singer. Check it out.. The first images of the cast in full costume were met with a ..mixed response! But I think the officially released pic in a higher res was a bit better received. Now we have these stills from the flick which give us our first look at Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw, Caleb Landry Jones as Banshee and a pre "Beast" Nicholas Hoult..

james-mcavoy-and-michael-fassbinder-x-men-first-class.jpg

kevin-bacon-and-january-jones-xmen-first-class1.jpg

x-men-first-class-cast.jpg

Hero Complex also have the first quotes from director Mathew Vaughn since filming ceased on the X-Men prequel. But as we now know, re-shoots are currently underway..

"I'm at that stage where I feel like a boxer against the ropes, I'm just throwing punches and taking them as they come and making sure I don't hit the canvas. We're filming at the moment, we've a lot to get done. I've never worked under such time pressure. The good thing about the independent world is I never even knew if I was going to get distribution. I'm used to finishing a film and then crossing your fingers that someone is going to like it. This is totally doing it the other way around. We've definitely got a release date and we've got to make it."

You might think Vaughn sounds a bit nervous about the release date, but make no mistake, he is not lacking in confidence. Many feel that First Class will have a mountain to climb to compete with the likes of Marvel's big upcoming releases(do I really need to name em?) and WB's Green Lantern, But according to Vaughn..

"Captain America: The First Avenger," "Green Lantern" and "Thor" – Vaughn said that, if anything, it's the other guys who should be nervous. "With 'Green Lantern,' I don't know about that one, I couldn't get my head around the trailer, to be honest … look, I will say the following: X-Men as a brand is bigger than Captain America, Thor and the Green Lantern, all put together."

James McAvoy who plays a younger version of Charles Xavier says..

"This isn't a reboot, so I'm not replacing anyone, in which case you might want to try to be as different as possible and stay away from what had been done before. This is a prequel, so I'm the same character, just younger, but the challenge for me – and for Michael — is to show the same person in a different place in their life; to show someone before they're this bad guy, before they're this saint. Charles wasn't always a … monk, this selfless, sexless monk that he becomes."

Finally producer Bryan Singer had thsi to add..

"The biggest challenge is introducing an audience to these characters in a different time – characters the audience is familiar with but now see played by younger actors and in a story taking place in a different time. We have to establish this universe. We had the challenge with the first 'X-Men' film, which came at a time when there were no comic-book movies [of this sort] and no template to launch from and yet you've got to do that. You have to put your characters out there and introduce them to a quizzical public that sort of recognizes them. But that very thing is the exciting part of it."

• 3 weeks later...

i saw you creepin' in here, and was like "that's ok. if he posts it first, ill edit his shit to pics of cat-beast or something."

there's certainly been worse trailers; this is the first actual interest ive had in the movie, so it worked.

*sigh* baytor's right, tragically; i dont think it was introduced in Origins, but in his (awful) book proper. its exactly as he described (so bad), and the arc ended with sabretooth finally being dead. brought to you by..wait for it...Jeph Loeb.

JZA: you bailed at a good time. early stuff with logan/daken/deadpool etc was fun, but it went nowhere. fuck Romulus.

I know i've mentioned this before but, I still have pages around somewhere of my first and only foray into fanfic involving a shadowy figure closely linked to every event in Wolverine's life. This was right off the back of the original/Jenkins Origin mini when it was crazy-edgy to call Logan 'James'. It should be noted the focus of my story was more on Wolverine taking a bike ride after having dropped experimental gov't acid and fighting zombie ninjas.

Because sometimes I'm just that far ahead of the curve...

I know i've mentioned this before but, I still have pages around somewhere of my first and only foray into fanfic involving a shadowy figure closely linked to every event in Wolverine's life. This was right off the back of the original/Jenkins Origin mini when it was crazy-edgy to call Logan 'James'. It should be noted the focus of my story was more on Wolverine taking a bike ride after having dropped experimental gov't acid and fighting zombie ninjas.

Because sometimes I'm just that far ahead of the curve...

Man, throw in some rape and a dash of passive-aggressive racism and you have Mark Millar's next story arc.

with only one paragraph to describe it, i have more faith in 10+ year ago JZAs to pull of this story, if it needed to be told, than what we got.

Origins started so good, showing that frankly, :wolvy: did dark shit when he wasn't being mind controlled or whatever...then fast forward a year or so, and yup, everytime logan stubbed his toe as a child, romulus was there, somewhere, rubbing his palms and saying "Good...good."

ps fuck baytors, i was gonna read Nemesis vol 2, spoiler tags man

Archived