Hondo's Bar

DC rebooting (some of) its universe

The NZA

I couldn't read the original Swamp Thing books. Couldn't get into them. Were they ever reprinted and cleaned up? I think that's a big part of my problem. Maybe with improved colors I could get into it, but with Alan Moore's words all over the place and the shoddy crayola work it's just too busy and gives me a headache even thinking about it.

I originally read the reprints in black and white. The pencils are tight, it's just that there was a lot of lame experimentation with color plates in the 80's.

It's good shit.

• 2 months later...

Geoff Johns & the JLA

JLA_2013_02.jpg

DC Comics announced at their DC Entertainment-All Access panel Sunday at Fan Expo Toronto that a new Justice League will be forming in 2013.

Justice League of America will be an ongoing series written by Geoff Johns and drawn by David Finch.

"This is a very different kind of team book,” said Geoff Johns in a press release. “On first glance, people might think the heroes of the Justice League of America stand in the shadows of Superman, Wonder Woman and the rest of the Justice League, but Green Arrow, Katana, Martian Manhunter, the new Green Lantern, Stargirl, Vibe, Hawkman and Catwoman thrive in the shadows.

“They're underdogs who have everything to prove and something to lose. They're a team of unlikely heroes who will help one another discover they're as A-List as anybody -- yes, even Vibe. Though getting there won't be easy.

“Why they're formed, why each member joins, what they're after and who the society of villains is they're trying to take apart will all be clear in the first issue when it hits early 2013. David and I are really focused on delving deep into what it's like to not be a member of the big seven and why, sometimes, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.”

• 2 months later...
Earlier this week, DC Comics announced plans for 52 United States flag variant covers for Geoff Johns and David Finch's "Justice League of America" #1 in February. Via its blog, The Source, the publisher has released a first look at Finch's cover for the issue and variants for New York and California. The image features Green Lantern Baz, Green Arrow, Catwoman and Vibe hoisting a flag onto a pile of debris as the rest of the league -- including Stargirl, Martian Manhunter and Hawkman -- look on.

Check out the standard, New York and California covers for "Justice League of America" #1 below.

1352483482.jpg

Dan Didio, being seriously dissapointed in how the overwhelming rage coming his way has cooled off, has a new plan.

Hellblazer is ending so John Constantine can fuck about in regular DC canon.

Let that turd really sink into the punch bowl before pouring yourself a cup. I firmly expect Jesse Custer and Tim Hunter to be joining the Justice League soon, maybe Morpheus, Tommy Monaghan, and Jack Knight can come too.

okay, that's definitely shitty....but

and i say this having not read Constantine since he was in India fucking about djinn/demons years back - he's been like vertigo's Judge Dredd, just sort've printing every month with no direction from one writer to the next. even Carey's lengthy run in recent run didnt really have its continuity respected after, from what i read. i'm never sure what the plan is there, or how much they make on it but presumed it was just enough to keep indulging...but for a number of reasons, Vertigo doesnt have the draw it once did.

so yeah, conceptually this looks iffy but if they've got something in mind for him, it might not be the worst thing. hopefully they keep him in familiar circles...from your article:\

Constantine has recently made appearances in non-Vertigo books like Search for the Swamp Thing and Justice League Dark, which in hindsight were likely attempts to ease the character into the DCU.

there's a Fury joke in here somewhere

not to dismiss your point, but...when was the last time you or any other hondonian regularly read Constantine? I mean, not even paid for it, just read it. maybe i'm wrong here, i just haven't seen you guys talk about the book since...Azarello? it's been a while.

I pick up an issue here and there. I guess in an era where Grey/Palmiotti's Jonah Hex and Animal Man are deemed safe for canon-DC stuff a lot of John Constantine is allowed to escape. I just preferred that the character have at least one outlet where he could do/say whatever as he's got an appeal in that corner. Hellblazer may not be the juggernaut of a book it once was but it was nice having one mature-rated take on a popular big-2 character. I mean what else have we got? Punisher MAX? Fury MAX? I liked those books alright but they're about as subtle as a brick to the head and often pretty fucking stupid. I just don't see what Hellblazer's hurting and I don't see the need to consolidate.

• 1 month later...

Captain Carrot!!!

yTWmO.jpg

With everyone focused on who will follow Gail Simone on Batgirl and the departure of Scott Snyder and Yanick Paquette from Swamp Thing, we overlooked perhaps the biggest news to arise from DC Comics’ solicitations for March: that Captain Carrot will make his New 52 debut in Threshold #3, by Keith Giffen and Tom Raney. Only now he’s re-imagined as Captain K’Rot.

Created by Roy Thomas and Scott Shaw, the anthropomorphic rabbit was introduced in 1982′s New Teen Titans #16. A series titled Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew! launched months later and continued for 20 fun-tabulous issues.

Giffen confirmed to Comic Book Resources that Captain K’Rot is indeed his take on Captain Carrot. Asked whether he was a longtime fan of the original series, Giffen quipped, “There was a series?” Ever the joker. He quickly added, “Every book needs a borderline psychotic, booze swilling, whore-mongering rabbit. I mean, c’mon!”

The comics veteran teased last month in a CBR interview about Threshold that the series’ “breakaway” star would make his debut in the second issue. This will be the one fans start buying the book,” he promised.

Safe bet that Captain K’Rot will be revealed in the final page or panel of the second issue, leading to his proper introduction in Threshold #3.

Excuse me, not Captain Carrot. Captain K'rot.