Hondo's Bar

DC rebooting (some of) its universe

The NZA

You're gonna go in looking for something to make fun of and end the night going "Shit bro, when's the next issue of Animal Man coming out?". That's the one I'm holding high hopes for. Maybe it's sheer awesomeness will make up for titles like, uh...damn, I don't even know what's gonna be bad anymore. Mr. Terrific and Blue Beetle?

Friend of mine is getting all 52 (he doesn't do singles usually) We're gonna wait till they all come out and have a drinking/comic book party where we slam the bad books for being as bad as they are.

I'm sure Suicide Squad will come up a fair piece if the writing is anything like the art. It reeks of the 90s in the worst way.

CBCebulski C.B. Cebulski

"@nickspencer: Don't care what company it is- anything that has people lined up at Midnight & on the front of @nytimes is great for comics."

17 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

holy shit, that's really cool to hear, love to see that.

newsarama has first impressions up, seems to be mostly positive buzz.

Animal Man = not surprising. Nice to hear some confirmation though.

Stormwatch = completely surprising.

Superman: I can live with some of the changes to the costume and I guess I can appreciate the bold new direction here...but, honestly? I think the helmet is a little silly. I'm hoping Morrison can make it cool anyway.

nf096q.jpg

That's a damn good price.

Did you already hear that the Barry/Iris marriage never happened now? Another pain feather to stick in your cap.

So, it looks like this whole thing is essentially another Crises. Some Flashpoint spoilers under the click.

2n99u9u.jpg

This chick knows what's going on. She's also going to appear in every single new #1. Here she is in JL.

142sazc.jpg

So that'll be a fun little 'Where's Waldo', I guess.

This also means that that they aren't committing full bore to this at all, it has direct continuity ties with everything else that's ever happened via this chick. I think she's their big self destruct button. At any point in time, they just have to tap her and everything goes back to normal.

I think what will most likely happen is that they'll let this go on for a few story arcs, maybe have a big crossover, and then we'll get something of a mixture between the successful parts of the New 52 and the original universe. Possibly with a few holdouts a'la how AoA keeps popping up.

It's kind of a half-assed reset. Especially as far as Batman is concerned.

I have issues with the chronology, it's just all over the place. I can't figure out what's happening "now" and what's in "the past".

Examples: Action Comics is clearly supposed to be sort of Superman Begins, he's young, he's brash and overconfident. The world has never seen anything like it, he hasn't worked out his costume yet. But people have smart phones and shit.

In Detective, Batman has been fighting Joker for 6 months and he's gaining the trust of Gordon.

In Batgirl, The Killing Joke still happened, but it was 3 years ago and she "got better", and she was apparently Batman's protege before that.

Batwing is a spinoff from the Batman International thing and he's funded with armor and a computer system from Bruce. I assume that's not something he starts up right off the bat (geddit?), but rather something that is established after many years.

In Swamp Thing it's been a year since the titular character first appeared and Alec Holland is confused...gonna avoid spoilers, but the origin seems to be unchanged and it's a year later.

Animal Man is a sort of has been super hero who's segued his career into acting and environmental activism, supposedly over the course of several years.

I dunno. The chronology is just super fucked at this point. I have to just ignore it, but it irritates the shit out of me. My fanboy brain wants to construct a timeline.

Edited by Thelogan

According to the creators only Action and JL are in the past. Everything else is set in the modern day. Basically Heroes started appearing just over 5 years ago, and everything happened in that time frame. Bruce was active for longer, as an urban legend. That's pretty much it. Swamp thing just came back from the dead in Brightest Day, so it's referencing that. But yeah, the timeline is gonna be fucked, as it was just post CoIE.

As far as the books, my surprise of the month was either Batwing or Detective Comics. Tony Daniel is usually an average writer, but he puts in his bet work ever for this issue. Action is a lot of fun and I'm hooked. Batgirl was a bit of a disappointment IMO, not Simone's best work, but we'll see where it goes, art was great tho. Still that could just be me getting used to non oracle Babs. Worth it if you like the character. Might just be I had really high expectations for the book too.

Animal Man and Swamp thing were just plain awesome, creepy as hell, and great character work. Also the art on Swamp Thing was amazing.

JLI felt late 80's early 90's but was fun, OMAC much the same. Batwing had amazing art, an a very strong introduction. Static was pretty good too.

So of the ones I have read, nothing awful, and quite a few very good books.

TLDR:

Get:

Animal Man

Swamp Thing

Action Comics

Detective Comics

Batwing

Batgirl

Maybes:

JLI

OMAC

I agree with all of the above, Batgirl is definitely my least favorite so far, I haven't read OMAC or JLI.

Animal Man and Swamp Thing have nailed the tone so far, something they haven't really done properly in a couple of decades.

As for chronology, if they're referencing Brightest Day...then wtf is going on here? Did that happen? How can that be?

Shit like that is throwing me off.

Basically, unless they say it has't it probably happened. We'll figure shit out as it goes basically. Seems like all the major events happened in one form or another, Supes still died for example, Nightwing was still Batman for a bit, there was some form of Crisis on Infinite Earths. All of those major events have been condensed into about 5 years, 7 or more for Batman, but 5 for everyone else. Some books, like Teen Titans, have thrown out tons of continity, some like Green Lantern and Batman, have thrown out a lot less. Honestly, thinking about continuity in comics is a headache no matter what. The medium is not really set up well for it. But there it is. I wish they were clearer, but that's how it goes.

I figure most old continuity won't much matter and if it does, they will mention it. Easiest way to think about it.

Honestly, thinking about continuity in comics is a headache no matter what. The medium is not really set up well for it. But there it is. I wish they were clearer, but that's how it goes.

yeah, and no - if you try to think in terms of how many years (x) aged or whatever, sure. but even with hyperreality/earth 2/etc, DC was supposed to kinda shine on its continuity, especially when even golden age stuff can sometimes be tied in. not yet read any of it, but this sounds like a hot mess - if it's screaming "crisis reboot", why not just tell it in an alternate timeline or elseworlds, a la ultimate?

a few of the one's logan's pointing at sound interesting, but i kinda want to a) let a few arcs pass and b) sit back & wait, because if this is just some Heroes Reborn stuff that some people might dig, and then get kinda tossed next year or so, it's hard to want to invest time in that.

*edit - maldron's saying GL & bats meet in JL, and bats doesnt know @ lanterns, despite lecturing Guy in JLI. that's weird. part of me's interested the writers are given so much freedom from the editors, but part of this sounds sloppy too. hopefully some good stories come of it?

-double edit: oh bish said JL's int he past. uhm, okay.

Edited by The NZA
interest...waning

Seems like all the major events happened in one form or another, Supes still died for example, Nightwing was still Batman for a bit, there was some form of Crisis on Infinite Earths.

WAT.

Ok, I had no idea that's what we were dealing with here. I was approaching it like the Ultimate universe, where I'm not meant to know more than what they've told me thus far, and it's pretty safe to assume Beyonder hasn't shown up and teleported everyone to another planet at some point in the past.

Well, I guess I'll approach the books differently now. Thanks for clearing that up, Bish.

Marvels flow of time may be a little fucked up, but at least they have a rational explanation.

yeah, and no - if you try to think in terms of how many years (x) aged or whatever, sure. but even with hyperreality/earth 2/etc, DC was supposed to kinda shine on its continuity, especially when even golden age stuff can sometimes be tied in. not yet read any of it, but this sounds like a hot mess - if it's screaming "crisis reboot", why not just tell it in an alternate timeline or elseworlds, a la ultimate?

a few of the one's logan's pointing at sound interesting, but i kinda want to a) let a few arcs pass and b) sit back & wait, because if this is just some Heroes Reborn stuff that some people might dig, and then get kinda tossed next year or so, it's hard to want to invest time in that.

*edit - maldron's saying GL & bats meet in JL, and bats doesnt know @ lanterns, despite lecturing Guy in JLI. that's weird. part of me's interested the writers are given so much freedom from the editors, but part of this sounds sloppy too. hopefully some good stories come of it?

-double edit: oh bish said JL's int he past. uhm, okay.

Definitely could have been handled better, for sure. Though I would argue that continuity in DC has been an odd piece of work for a LONG time, especially since crisis. This whole thing had me looking into prevois reboots, and just about all of them were fucked in one way or another. Hell after Crisis, most things stayed, except for Supes and Wonder Woman, Jonah Hex was a cowboy in the future, Jason Todd's entire backstory changed, Dick's reason for leaving Batman was different, the JSA got added in, power girl was an Atlantean, and that's just the start. I figure that most of the new DC stuff will stick, the stuff that doesn't work will get tossed as it always does, and that will be that. DC's continuity has been a general idea at best for a long time now, Zero Hour and Infinite Crisis made it worse. But at least CoIE was relatively clear in comparison to Flashpoint, which considering how muddled it ended up being, is kinda sad.

Continuity exists when it needs to, and is ignored often at whim.

I doubt that we are going to have a full scale retooling after this, I do think that certain things will get shifted back to be closer to how they were depending on how successful the changes are, but considering they relaunched Everything at #1, I don't see it getting reverted whole cloth. It's kinda wishful thinking on the part of fans, and trust me, I WANT some stuff reverted.

Either way, the #1's have all been good at least thus far, so here's hoping that the freedom given to the writers takes us to some cool places.

Edit: Also, DC being known for continuity? Really? I dunno, compared to Marvel I've always thought that DC's continuity was hot mess that changed pretty much at whim.

Edited by bishopcruz

i dunno. marvel's got less time to work with, granted, but - this might be anecdotal - DC fans ive known have usually championed continuity, pointing at marvel characters changing wildly across eras/writers/etc. the point of the original Crisis was to tie a lot've shit together, i thought, and from what i understood of it, even with earth 2 & such, it seemed to be coming together alright until Grant introduced (?) hyperreality, and by the time we got the last crisis & the 52 and such, i thought it was getting crazy.

bish is absolutely right @ continuity being something to be respected up to the point it interferes with writing (that's pretty much the nature of any franchise character, i think) , but i thought the serious mucking with it was (relatively) a more recent thing. i dont even recall what Zero Hour did, and skipped Flashpoint entirely, though.

TL;DR not that anecdotal stuff or the insane people @ newsarama should be taken as a whole, but for years ive understood DC to be more "solid" and marvel to be the one that changes/shakes this up as it goes, DC fans always struck me as having more a comfort zone in their universe

because they're not gonna do crazy shit like just insert a kid right under one of their most famous characters outta nowhere like :wolvy: got and OH GOD WAIT