Hondo's Bar

DC rebooting (some of) its universe

The NZA

I was only gonna buy the Bat books and DL a few others, but after seeing the responses here I went and pulled a Maldron and DL'd all the #1s. I'll rate 'em like I do movies b/c I know how much Logan's boy Gene loves that format. :howyoudoin:

Aquaman #1 = B

Wonder Woman #1 = A-

Catwoman #1 = C-

Judd Winick continues to prove he's a one-trick pony. The guy thought up a clever line for his fan-fiction website and somehow parlayed it into the DCnU. So he should be proud of that. It wasn't the best Catwoman story I've read, and sadly neither the worst.

Grifter #1 = D-

Voodoo #1 = D

All I know about these two characters is they were in WILDcats (or was it WildCATS?) and I own way too many copies of issues 1 & 2 of Jim Lee's series. Oh, and they also had a cartoon briefly on CBS, I think. Grifter wants to be Gambit so bad it's pathetically comical. They even set half the story in New Orleans and make a pun w/ playing cards. The dialogue is horrible and the premise (Alien bodysnatchers!) is meh.

Voodoo is a little better b/c it has gratuitous cleavage shots and takes place entirely in a strip club, which is called Voodoo. Which is also the stripper name of the protagonist. *groans* She seems to be one of these aliens Grifter is out to get. Uh oh—I smell synergy! *groans*

Anyway, after reading Catwoman and Voodoo, I'm beginning to think this lady has a point.It is kind of groan inducing when you look at all three issues.

And not the kinda groans George and Joel are thinking of either.

speaking of - baytor/bish/logans, how's Constantine working in the regular DCU?

Constantine has always been in the regular DCU, if only indicated by his interactions with Swamp Thing. I assume Harry Potter Tim Hunter and The Endless are as well. I base this entirely on cameos. The regular DCU has just chosen to ignore them for the most part.

Justice League: Dark was pretty cool, I'll be picking up the 2nd issue at least. Constantine has a page, I think, so we really don't know how different the character is (if at all).

Dan Didio: "there have been no Crisis events in the New DCU"

DC Comics Co-Publisher Dan DiDio triggered a minor crisis of his own Saturday when he announced on Facebook that, “after further review, there have been no Crisis events in the New DCU.”

The proclamation sent blogs and message boards into overdrive as fans grappled with the ramifications of no Crises — no Infinite Crisis, no Final Crisis, and no Crisis on Infinite Earths, the 1985 “maxi-series” whose impact was so profound that DC history became defined by “pre-Crisis” and “post-Crisis,” comics’ answer to B.C. and A.D.

But clearly in the universe of the post-Flashpoint New 52 there was a Final Crisis, as Bruce Wayne “died” — or, rather, he was hurled back through time — and was temporarily replaced as Batman by Dick Grayson. There are undoubtedly other loose threads that are best not picked at, but that’s the one that springs immediately to mind. It’s one of the pitfalls of leaving the continuities of some characters, like Batman and Green Lantern, essentially intact, while sending dozens of others back to square one.

Noting the tumult his announcement created, DiDio returned on Sunday with clarification. Sort of: “For those in crisis over Crisis, let me clarify. The topic of Crisis was much discussed among the editors and talent working on The New 52. With so many characters and histories restarting, major events like Crisis are harder to place when they work for some and not for others. (that was one of the problems coming out of the original Crisis). While we are starting aprx five years into our heroes’ lives, we are focused on the characters present and future, and past histories will be revealed as the stories dictate. Yes, there have been “crisis” in our characters lives, but they aren’t exactly the Crisis you read before, they can’t be. Now, what this means for characters seen and unseen…… well, that’s the fun of The New 52, infinite stories, infinite possibilities, with the best yet to come. [...] P.S. that’s the last time I try and answer a Facebook question before rushing out for dinner.”

That should clear things up! Right?

They're...ah...just making this up as they go along, huh?

So far the books I liked seem to be the books everyone else liked (Batman, Animal Man, Frankenstein, Wonder Woman) and was disappointed by the books that generally disappointed others (Stormwatch, Catwoman) and ignored the books that others generally ignored (Red Hood, Legion stuff).

Except for Resurrection Man which got a low rating in that review Nick posted and no one else has given props to. I thought it was good first issue and the setup has me interested. Never read this character when the book was active before, but I'm gonna stick with it for a while.

---------------

So, now that the 52 are out and we have 2 overarching storylines going, anyone want to comment and give guesses and rumors about where it's going?

First off, the whole disturbance in space thing from Stormwatch and Superman?

Second, the mystery woman who seems to know all about the nature of reality from flashpoint and who's been stalking everyone in New 52?

I think the hooded woman actually was given a name by one of the DC editors in an interview...

• 1 month later...

Just finished catching up on all the DCnU Batman books.

The Owl society story going on in Batman is my favorite thus far. The Penguin: Pain & Prejudice mini is surprisingly good so far as well. I'm also digging what's going on in Batman & Robin. The storyline going on in Detective is OK as well, but this mysterious plan of Joker's better have a really good payoff to justify trudging through all this Dollmaker shyte. Also enjoyed the first two issue of Dark Knight.

However, I'm really surprised I don't hate Catwoman. I still hate Judd Winick though. It's on issue three and I am sticking around for at least a few more issues. Same goes for Jason Todd's exploits in Red Hood & The Outlaws; but I have to admit this is a title where I'm digging the art way more than the storytelling. Also, I never knew jackshit about Starfire before, so her character is the most interesting to me thus far. Issue three was probably the best yet. Hopefully this title continues to get better...

Nightwing is meh. It looks like a lot of these inaugural DCnU arcs are pseudo (re)origin stories, and understandably so, but I'm not really looking for one for Dick Grayson. Ditto for Barbara Gordon and Batgirl, though I do dig her arc more than Grayson's. I'll stick around for a bit longer and see where these two titles go. Birds of Prey, Huntress, Batwoman, & Batwing, however, I didn't get past issue #1.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

I knew quite a bit about Starfire before this, and I couldn't care less about them turning her into a souless fuckdoll, and I will defend their right to do so. Once we start writing stories around "portraying positive role models" or "avoiding gender stereotypes" everything starts to suffer.

Now, coincidentally, I didn't much care for the Red Hood book, but it wasn't because it hurt my sensibilities or some shit.

Man, I couldn't get into Dark Knight either. Maybe just because I didn't think it was as good as Detective, B&R and vanilla.

Lets cut to the chase Hakus: where is Animal Man in all of this?

Yeah the positive role model stuff is dumb, but the characterization of Starfire is far worse. It's a pretty pointless 180 on the established character and it doesn't seem to add anything new to the stew. The entire book is just a mess of unlikeable douchebags doing stuff (though I guess Roy Harper has been improved but only because he's not doing heroin and killing hobos to save a dead cat he thinks is his daughter)

Lets cut to the chase Hakus: where is Animal Man in all of this?

Yeah, I'm slowly working my way through all 52 of the DCnU #1s. And like I wrote, I was trying to get all of the Bat-verse books under my belt, as it were. Did you read past issue #1 of Red Hood? I dug the flashbacks (and the gimmick the writer used to tell them) in issue #3. And like I wrote earlier, I really dig the art.

Wonder Woman is probably my favorite of the non-Bat books I've read so far. Again, she's getting the (re)origin treatment and I'm really digging it b/c a.) I knew jack-all about her origins other than she was an Amazonian princess and b.) I'm in a Greek mythology phase and this book is feeding that hunger like a boss.

I have not gotten to Animal Man yet, but I will hopefully tackle all three issues this week. Swamp Thing is another book that's getting high praise, and I while think it's a decent read, it hasn't really lived up to the hype for me so far. I'll definitely see this first arc through though.

• 6 months later...

We have a thread for those. Both amazing, but I wanna focus on Batman & Robin for a minute. I actually got teary-eye with the 8th issue. That hasn't happened FOR YEARS. The dynamic between Bruce and Damian is amazing. Anyone with daddy issues (like myself) will be moved by this book. Like I said... this is the Batman book I've been looking for!

I thought Inc. was fucking attrocious and what I read of TDK was piss poor as well.

As per ST:

I couldn't read the original Swamp Thing books. Couldn't get into them. Were they ever reprinted and cleaned up? I think that's a big part of my problem. Maybe with improved colors I could get into it, but with Alan Moore's words all over the place and the shoddy crayola work it's just too busy and gives me a headache even thinking about it.