Hondo's Bar

Grand Theft Auto V

Maldron

Disclaimer: I watched Ryan play this and finish this. And aside from running into traffic, trying to jump off a satellite dish, and fucking around with the tow truck, I did not play this.

Very, very pretty. I mean that. Also, it feels very alive. Vice City felt...empty, like a deserted mall. This is the only other game in the franchise I'm qualified to compare this to.

My main observation was the story. I really like the characters and their development, though Michael is a jerk. Strangely, I like Trevor the most.

When you boil it down, I think Michael is the most evil character in the game by far. I think when he met Franklin, he saw something he could use. Frank had already shown that he was naive ("repo" man), money hungry and driven. I think Michael has a history of finding guys like that, getting them to respect and trust him, and then using them to commit incredibly dangerous crimes.

I think Trevor may have been a Franklin.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

So this took me a couple of tries to perfect, but it is WELL worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l2YGSuHbyw

Edited by Thrizzle

DISCLAIMER: Not gonna tag this, it gots spoilers so if you ain't finished the game don't read it.

Trevor was totally a Franklin, but it was even worse because Michael took advantage of a man who has some very real and severe emotional and mental problems. People can get all pissy about Trevor stomping Johnny's head in (I maintain that Johnny was courting a very similar end regardless of Trevor's intervention) or killing Floyd and Debbie or dropping random strangers off to a cannibal cult in the mountains, he is legitimately insane and I don't think meth makes a great antipsychotic. The fact that he's not eating a homeless man's face on an overpass says he's doing pretty well in my book.

Trevor cares about people, a lot, he's just very selective about who he cares about and treats them accordingly. He treats stupid annoying loudmouths accordingly, but did you ever once hear him talk down to Lamar? He respects loyalty, bravery, and self-reliance. I honestly think the Floyd/Debbie thing was not where he was intending that to go, I have the feeling he saw how much of a gutless worm Floyd was, assumed Debbie was a harpy and tried to help Floyd by trying to push him to the edge, I just think in his head he didn't realize how that could go south. His reaction when he steps out of that apartment is appropriately haunted and you finally see that he actually cares about Wade's feelings a bit too. I did care about Michael there at the end, he finally stopped being a selfish sociopathic prick once his family came back, but he's certainly the most evil of the protagonists and that so many players have said they empathize with Michael is kinda troubling.

I also find it funny that all the claims of misogyny (which are silly as everybody is portrayed as horrible in these games) are leveled at Trevor when he's more respectful to women than any other character in the game. Metdrazo's wife, the crazy exercise lady, Molly, Tracey, Franklin's aunt, even Michael's wife doesn't get much more then "nice tits." The only woman he's actively terrible to is Debbie and in comparison to all the men he treats like shit, I'd say that makes him pretty decent.

Random Observations:

Trevor and Catalina would make an awesome power couple.

Franklin's aunt is named Denise, you think she dated a certain Mr. Johnson sometime in the early 90s?

Whoever did that map Pancho posted obviously hasn't explored much as one of those "Big ass empty spaces" is a military base with planes, helicopters, and tanks.

Edited by Iambaytor

Yeah, they call it "passive". It looks like it's basically like unflagging for PvP in WoW.

I was reading a Q & A thing, and someone asked "So if another person kills me, does it cost like $5,000 like it does in single player?" (it actually takes a percentage and someone clearly doesn't dump their cash in the market to prevent this from happening, but that's neither here nor there)

And, no. No it doesn't.

When someone kills you in GTA:O, you drop all of the cash you have on you. But not what you have in the bank.

You can then put a bounty on their head, if it pleases you to do so.

The Character Creation System

The hereditary-based character creation system of Grand Theft Auto Online allows for a multitude of options to create your avatar that will then inhabit the online world of Los Santos & Blaine County. Choose your gender then decide on your mother and father. From there, you can choose to give one parent genetic dominance or leave them more evenly matched. The choice is yours. Next, you adjust a set of lifestyle variables which help determine your character’s appearance and starting stats. Decide how much sleep he/she gets, how much partying they indulge in, how much honest work versus illegal activity, and more. Essentially, you can adjust the genetics to wind up with a fresh faced lad or lass or a grizzled, haggard degenerate or anywhere in between! You’ll also be able to preview your end result in real time all throughout to ensure you’re satisfied before putting your character on a direct flight to LS. Of course, once you’re out and about in the open world, you can further customize your character with haircuts, clothing and accessories to suit your tastes.

If you're a Social Club member, you can be a descendant of John Marston.

That's fucking cool.

Crew members be sure to invite whoever. I still need to learn the ins and outs of managing the thing and figure out how people can request a membership. I would imagine this carries over to GTA online.

http://socialclub.ro...crew/hondos_bar

anyone have a list of all the names you get here when you reach certain post numbers? Spaceman Spiff, Enigmatic Vaquero, etc.

Edited by axel_napalm

It works fine on the proper console.

Nah, I've frozen up like 3 or 4 times. I blame the launch day blues.

'Baytor, get in on this shit. It's basically another campaign + 4th character. There's fully fleshed out missions and heists, it's just that your character is basically like Claude. A mute who speaks in pantomime.

The people I've run into have been harmless, and have only added to the atmosphere. It's amazing, but I haven't been griefed at all. I just now figured out how to turn passive mode on, too. One random stranger even gave me a ride in his nice car while we hit a few convenience stores.

SO MUCH MORE CLOTHES! Maybe it's because I made a chick. Fucking clothing options coming out my ears.

• 2 years later...