Hondo's Bar

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron

Panch

Back from das kino. Rest easy kids, Marvel have done it again. There are certain moments that just feel like pages of the comics turned into a flip book (animation I think some people call it), and there is one slo mo scene near the end that particularly feels like a live action Jack Kirby splash page.

All of the returning characters have their moments, relationships between the characters progress in unexpected ways. It's obviously a tough job trying to balance screen time and relevancy, but no character feels cheated. Maybe Thor is slightly underused, but only if you're measuring with a ruler.

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are important to the plot, but honestly I feel the movie could have got along fine without them. Quicksilver's powers are nowhere near as impressive as Days of Future Past's version, but we all knew that wouldn't be topped. They are more comic accurate than in DOFP and it's not that they were boring or poorly developed, but they didn't wow me.

Ultron is a great villian. Way more comedic than I anticipated, though this is mostly a good thing. He's kind of like an evil Tony Stark. I say fuck Mandarin, this Ultron is Tony's true archenemy.

Vision though...Vision stole the show for me. I honestly haven't read a lot of Avengers comics and I just have what most comic fans would call a rudimentary knowledge of the character. But in this he is so fucking cool. His powers are cool, his origin is cool, his character is really layered and cool, he looks cool, he moves cool. Basically, he's cool. I just want more and more Vision. I know it'll probably never happen, but I'd love to see him get a solo film.

Overall the film continues in a similar vein to Avengers. Huge action pieces, separated by sassy quip after sassy quip and a few great character moments thrown in for good measure. I thought we could have done with a few less jokes as we neared the end, but I felt the same about the first one, so if it didn't bother you in that, it shouldn't bother you in this. I'd rank rank it up there with Avengers, Winter Soldier and Guardians of The Galaxy.

8/10 must see.

Courtesy of Variety

“Avengers: Age of Ultron” debuted to a massive $201.2 million across 44 territories this weekend.

Disney and Marvel’s super team adventure was the highest-grossing film in everywhere it opened, and has now rolled out in 55% of the international marketplace, including such major locales as France, Italy, Germany, the United Kingdom, Russia, Korea and Australia.

Going into the weekend, Disney was projecting a foreign debut of between $160 million to $175 million.

“The bar was high, but this is a sign of unbelievable momentum in the marketplace,” said Dave Hollis, Disney’s distribution chief. “It all goes back to the strength of the brand and the incredible work the Marvel team does in telling stories in such a consistent way and creating these worlds.”

The hotly anticipated superhero sequel opens next week in the U.S., where it is expected to earn north of $200 million and could top the first “Avengers'” record-breaking $207.4 million bow. Bringing Thor, Iron Man, Captain America and other costumed heroes together isn’t cheap, and “Avengers: Age of Ultron” carries a $250 million price tag.

What’s particularly impressive is that “Avengers: Age of Ultron” put up such big numbers despite currency fluctuations. The strength of the dollar and economic troubles in Europe and Russia have dramatically altered the exchange rate picture in the three years since the first “Avengers. The Euro has fallen roughly 20% in the ensuing time, while the ruble has plunged 46%. Yet the second film is still exceeding the first installment by 44% in today’s dollars.

Good shit. It definitely sets up the next Avengers movies, but even more so it sets up Civil War which will probably end up being Avengers 2.5. James Spadertron is amazing.

And I'm even more excited to see Thanos Brolin in action.

It was also interesting how when they referred to Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver as "enhanced" and alluded to other players they have been fighting.

It really feels like this movie opened up the universe alot more.

How would you rank it?

Hmm...

Off the top of my head, i.e not a definitive order, I'd put it ahead of Iron Man 2, Thor 2, and maybe even IM 3. I really need to rewatch those latter 2 as I've only seen them once.

My current MCU Top 5 would be: GotG, Avengers, Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Thor.

Yours?

I feel you Newt... but still

l8IrMN6.jpg

This may not have been the best Marvel flick, but the action scenes are definitely in first place for me.

Naw. Action in GotG and Winter Soldier alone surpassed this one. The opening scene in the woods was good, but there were some moments when the CGI was just too obvious and I got taken out of the film.

Also speaking of action in the film...

Maximoff twins were okay, but Singer definitely nailed capturing Quicksilver better than Wheddon. Even Hulkbuster vs Hulk was lacking something. Great sequence, but was it as memorable as Hulk scaling buildings in NYC whilst ripping apart aliens? Nah, not so much for me. But it was by no means a bad action film--just not as good as prior MCU offerings. That all being said, the Cap/Thor team ups during the last fights of the film were damned great.

i mean, i loved it, but it did feel disjointed at certain parts

like the hawkeye house scenes were cool - and really set you up for thinking he'd bite it - but it felt like they'd go from that to big boom action again, then disjointed team stuff some more (because what else do you do with such a big cast?), then another quiet moment, then boom

i didnt really think as much on it until reading Joss talking about what he'd wanted to happen, compromises etc (nothing overly specific, mind) and how he's not coming back. still great just...a bit all over the place? i dunno

surprised nobody has mentioned the weird Thor subplot with the magic cave. I read that was a longer scene with The Norn (?) Personally i liked it, and it felt like them not really caring about the mystical element, so that way we don't need an hour of Doctor Strange explaining the scientific properties of magic.

I have no idea why the movie-verse is bending over backwards to scientifically explain magic. In the comics there's science and there's magic, and there's a lot of crossover, but they're different things and that's okay. I'm hoping Doctor Strange and Iron Fist bring a bit of the mysticism back, it's more fun that way.

man even as a marvel fanboy: no thank you, not here for the das boot of comic flicks

I have no idea why the movie-verse is bending over backwards to scientifically explain magic. In the comics there's science and there's magic, and there's a lot of crossover, but they're different things and that's okay. I'm hoping Doctor Strange and Iron Fist bring a bit of the mysticism back, it's more fun that way.

yeah i guess people are concerned about going from a more "grounded" reality to having mysticism, but again, the average moviegoer now has a green monster teaming up with a god and a superhuman WW II vet, nevermind whatever scarlet witch was doing. i think the stage is amply set, might be more jarring in the netflixverse but we've got time.