Hondo's Bar

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron

Panch

Can we agree that Strucker's techno-monocle is probably the most ridiculous thing in theaters this year?

I think the reason they killed off Quicksilver was due to rights issues, which is a shame because while I like X-verse Quicksilver's scene in Days of the Future Past, I liked this character a lot more. But Marvel can't call him Quicksilver (I think they can call Marvel Scarlet With, I'm not sure) so they just said "fuck it."

After seeing the legions of fans spewing vitriol at Joss Whedeon re: Natasha Romanov in this movie, I was expecting something awful but found out that people really are just looking for a reason to get mad. She gets kidnapped and locked in a cell for like one scene, and provides her own means of escape. People also flipped the fuck out over the "still think you're the only monster" line, but she's obviously not saying she's a monster because she can't have kids so I don't know why the audience is being so willfully dense.

I didn't find the Thor scene confusing or out-of-place (they needed to give him SOMETHING to do) but was pretty underwhelmed by Vision. Vision, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver are probably my least favorite key team-members with the exception of Wonderman, Justice, and Firestar so I wasn't too pumped to see them at all. I liked Quicksilver enough, even though they pretty much did all they could do with him (maybe that's why he died), but Scarlet Witch was pretty great. I wish they would've kept her all creepy like she was at the beginning of the movie, though.

I look forward to seeing more of Klaw in Black Panther.

I did not find the movie to be obviously lacking material or choppy, it covered a lot of ground but I never felt like I was missing something.

Kinda felt like Falcon shouldn've been helping War Machine out in that scene, glad they threw him in there at the end but some action would'a been nice. They could've at least put the money they saved toward making the opening fight scene look less fake.

Edited by Iambaytor
  • Upvote 1

Scarlet Witch was awesome. So many people showing love for QS and Vision, but I thought she was the best newbie. I look forward to more Vision for sure, but he was definitely underutilized.

I hope in Infinity Wars Thanos find a way to bring back Ultron and there is sort of a Vilified Avengers team or something with Thanos, Ultron and Loki. Can't just be Thanos for a two part movie can it?

I feel like I'm the only one that could tell the Hawkeye setup was too obvious for Whedon. If WHEDON is going to kill someone, he never 'sets' it up.

I still didn't see the Quicksilver death coming, however. I figured he was foreshadowing the Hawkeye death to pull off some kind of narrow escape sequence where Hawkeye would get to shine solo (like River at the end of Serenity.)

Edited by Jumbie

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Joss Whedon Claims He 'Did A Disservice' To Avengers: Age of Ultron

Avengers: Age of Ultron director Joss Whedon has made little secret of his difficulties in making that film, and now he's clarified his feelings toward the process, saying he "did a disservice" to the film by blaming Marvel for all its woes rather than taking responsibility for his own part in its shortcomings.

“Ultron, I’m very proud of. There were things that did not meet my expectations of myself and then I was so beaten down by the process,” Whedon confessed to Hulk actor Mark Ruffalo at the Tribeca Film Festival (via Deadline). “Some of that was conflicting with Marvel, which is inevitable and a lot of that was about my own work and I was also exhausted, and we right away went and did publicity. I created the narrative — wherein I’m not quite accomplished at– and people just ran with it. ‘Well it’s OK, it could be better, but it’s not Joss’ fault’ and I think that did a disservice to the movie, and to the studio and to myself. Ultimately, it wasn’t the right way to be because I’m very proud about it.”

"But I also got to make, for the second time, an absurdly personal movie that talked about how I felt about humanity, and what it means, in very esoteric and bizarre ways, for hundreds of billions of dollars," Whedon continued. "The fact that Marvel gave me that opportunity is so bonkers, and so beautiful, and the fact that I come off of it feeling like a miserable failure, is also bonkers, but not in a cute way.”

mind you, i still think it was bloated & a step down from avengers 1, but still enjoyable & by no means a poor film like, say, BvS. that said, i'm happy with everything i'm hearing about Civil War so far, and quietly excited that the Russo brothers are handling the franchise from here on out.

downey carried those Iron Man flicks, looking back...not a memorable villain in the lot, for me. i remember thinking whiplash was surprisingly cool at the racecar fight, then he got QTE'd at the end when i blinked. they went weird with mandarin & totally wasted extremis.

Thor movies i enjoyed in a way that i don't recall pretty much anything about, but loki's still the best villain the MCU's had so far, so there's that! not bad, just not memorable, for me. and as a cap fan, 1 might not age well (origin stuff was great, but they squandered a good casting call for a villain & rushed through the war bits) for me at some point, but really, the gulf between 1 & 2 is even wider than it was for X-Men, in my mind...which is saying a lot. i fucking loved like everything about Winter Solider.

The lowest ones for me: Iron Man 2 n' Ant-Man (AM being the lowest). I think the first Thor is better than Dark World and Iron Man 3 was pretty damn good - so was Winter Soldier.

Age of Ultron, although totally enjoyable, really felt like a missed opportunity to me. I felt the sequel should've been different than the first one. With the first Avengers - you ain't never seen a cinematic superhero-ensemble-epic. The sequel should've been something as unique - I would've liked to see something brainy w/ the superhero-ensemble...I guess something like we got w/ Winter Soldier or will get w/ Civil War. AoU just felt like another 'punch the faceless baddies till we win' venture (which isn't necessarily a bad thing)...w/ a lot of seed planting.

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

I marathon 'em enough already not to need a refresher - but I'll probably end up marathoning 'em after I get back from the theater - knowing how it ends up n' watching w/ new context.

I don't know if I can wait till theater attendance drops - I'm gonna try to see this one as soon as possible - first thing in the morning on a weekday. I'm hoping to knock out Jungle Book while I'm already there.

DR80YpV.gif?resize=714%2C295

tumblr_n9ne6qyDKK1s2zaudo2_r3_500.gif