Hondo's Bar

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron

Panch

Do you thinking they teased Thanos in Avengers 1 with the plan to not use him until Avengers 3? Or do you think they've since decided to push him back? Because if Thanos is NOT in Avengers 2, then I think that means he'll be in Guardians of the Galaxy.

What about Thor 2?

• 3 weeks later...

So, rumor has it that it looks like Benecio Del Toro is playing The Collector as the main baddie for the Guardians of the Galaxy film. Possibly Marvel is saving Thanos as the heavy in Avengers 2?

It would seems so, but Del Toro has a contract for appearances across multiple Marvel films. Would that be for GotG sequels, or other Cosmic Marvel stories? Thor 3, Avengers 2, Planet Hulk?

• 1 month later...

So, is the plan still to have this Avengers: Age of Ultron movie for May 2015, then Ant-Man afterwards for November 2015? Are they going to introduce Hank Pym in Age of Ultron, or potentially even before, maybe in Captain America: Winter Soldier, along with his peaceful Ultron creations, as a set up? They already have two established super-genius characters in Tony Stark and Bruce Banner (though Banner's not really a robotics guy), so are they just going to make Ultron created by someone other than Pym? Maybe They'll have Pym in Age of Ultron, but not have him don the Ant-Man role during the movie, or maybe only at the very end.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Edgar Wright has said in the past that Ant Man would be multi-generational and more than one person would don the mantle. Perhaps his movie will be about Scott Lang?

Yeah, but he said that years ago and hasn't mentioned that since, right? Ideas are thrown around and, especially when you have as long a preproduction period as Ant-Man has had, you go through many story ideas. I mean, we were told that the first Captain America movie was going to be half WWII-era and half modern-era. Eventually that got changed to basically a modern-era epilogue. When was the last time he said Pym and Lang would don the mantle in the first movie.

And that's all beside the point. The point is Ultron is not just Pym's invention, they are closely associated to one another. If Ultron is going to be in Avengers 2, does that mean Pym is as well. It seems to me like he basically has to be.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Joss Whedon Says THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Will Be An Origin Story; Confirms No Hank Pym

83845.png

Joss Whedon confirms that the movie shares only a title with the comic book event, and will instead be a totally original story. However, it WON'T feature Hank Pym and it sounds as if he will be a creation of Iron Man's! Hawkeye is also set to have a much larger role in the "global" sequel. Read on for details!

Follow Josh:

CBMBTNS.png facebookBTNS.png twitterBTNS.png googleBTNS.png

By Josh Wilding - 7/21/2013

89783918361789.png

Marvel caught up with Joss Whedon (what follows is my own transcription of their conversation as it has yet to be released officially after airing just moments ago on their live blog) at the San Diego Comic-Con to talk all things The Avengers: Age of Ultron. Surprisingly, the writer and director revealed a lot more than any of us may have expected! After saying that he always wanted to use Ultron as the villain in a sequel, Whedon would go on to clear up some misconceptions that the title has caused. "Well, because there was a book called 'Age of Ultron' quite recently, a lot of people have assumed that is what we're doing, but that is not the case. We're doing our own version of the origin story for Ultron. In the origin story, there was Hank Pym, so a lot of people assumed that he will be in the mix. He's not. We're basically taking the things from the comics for the movies that we need and can use. A lot of stuff has to fall by the wayside."

So, if Hank Pym doesn't create Ultron, who does? Well, Tony Stark seems to be the most obvious candidate, especially after Iron Man 3 showed that he had managed to create sentient versions of his armour. "We're crafting our own version of it where his origin comes more directly from The Avengers we already know about. It's a little bit darker than the other film because Ultron is in the house. There's a science fiction theme that wasn't there in the other one. Ultron is definitely something that evolves, so we're going to get together a couple of different iterations. Nothing can be translated exactly as it was from the comics; particularly Ultron." Finally, he was asked about the scale of the movie and which character he is most enjoying writing and revealed: "It's very much a global Avengers film. A lot of the movie has to do with their place not just in America, but the world. Part of the fun for me, definitely this time around, is writing Hawkeye. He did get possessed pretty early by a bad guy and had to walk around all scowly for most of the movie so now it's nice to actually have the character there and see him interact with the other guys." What do you guys think of these comments?

Read more at http://www.comicbook...qqlgeOZVE1Hx.99

Edited by alive she cried

I know that, particularly nowadays, each hero doesn't have a rogues gallery that belongs exclusively to them. The villains belong to the universe, and while most villains are most closely associated with a particular hero or hero team, they can be shuffled around a bit. The X-Men can fight Kingpin, Iron Man can fight the Juggernaut, etc. But Ultron is Ant-Man signature villain. He is to Ant-Man what the Joker is to Batman, or what Lex Luther is to Superman, or what Magneto is to the X-Men. I have always assumed that Ultron would be a villain in an Ant-Man movie, or at least in an Avengers movie that featured Ant-Man. This is like if they have made Loki the villain in an Avengers movie without Thor in it, and before giving Thor a solo movie. Who the fuck is Ant-Man supposed to fight in his own movie? Porcupine? Whirlwind? Or is Ant-Man going to face Ultron in his own movie after Ultron was introduced in Avengers 2 as TONY STARK'S INVENTION?

This seems like the wrong movie for Marvel.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Please PLEASE have a moment where Scarlet Witch is struggling to deal with her overpowering animal lust for Ultron.

This is all I want.

I always thought of Ultron as an Avengers villain, personally, but practically all of my knowledge of the character comes from that weird cultural osmosis thing. First hand, I've maybe read one or two stories with Ultron in them.

I know his connection to Pym, but I never really thought of Ant-Man as having a rogue's gallery.

Now that I mention it, I guess I just never really thought of Ant-man.

Gotta agree with Logan... AND Jax. Ultron IS an Avengers villain. Yeah, Pym is the creator, but he isn't the Batman to Ultron's Joker. HOWEVER, making Ultron a Stark creation is bullshit. Ant-Man is cool and all, but all he's ever REALLY done was create Ultron (and beat his wife) and now you're going to take that away from him? Dumb.

but you said it: he's an Avenger villain, and no one cares about Pym. literally no one - Age of Ultron had some interesting backstory, but it's not like Hawkeye where he's dynamic enough to carry his own series, why bother? in their samuel jackson is fury timeline there's no reason Stark wouldn't have the necessary hubris to create him.

and yeah, nowadays Pym is more known for smacking around jan. are you people worried about the edgar wright movie? do we even know which ant man he wants to do? let that man tell his own story with him, there's no need to bloat the avengers cast further with the next guy the audience won't remember. i don't see anyone crying about Quicksilver, Wasp, Hercules, Black Knight etc.

makes sense for a comedy...see, we just undid the need for Pym entirely though. 12 fans nationwide will be upset, and no one listens to them cause 10 of em are the guys who write marvel every month demanding the return of the Micronauts.