Hondo's Bar

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Batman doesn't kill, he doesn't let people die, he doesn't let people kill other people, it's his thing

It's his thing...in the comics...since about 1975.

In the silver age, no one killed, so it wasn't HIS thing, just a thing.

Before that, he killed and carried a gun even.

Don't get me wrong, I really dig the anti-killing batman to the point I greatly prefer it, but jumping the story to another medium allows me to adjust for a new interpretation.

If they tried this shit in the comics after decades of setting up a persona that was against it, then I'd object.

I'm aware he carried a gun, he started out as a blatant rip-off of The Shadow but that and a lot of other regrettable decisions have been washed out. At this point his no killing persona is as integral to his character as his parents getting shot in an alleyway and his silly Dracula costume. It's a re-interpretation that creators keep trying to force despite the fact that the people paying to see these things keep telling them to cut it out.

giphy.gif

Oh God what a fucking mess. It didn't have to be this way it really didn't. I left the cinema just shaking my head in disbelief. After Marvel have spent the best part of a decade establishing and perfecting the template for adapting huge interconnecting Universes, DC go ahead and do...that.

It's as if they're trying so hard to show that they're not copying Marvel that they're just doing the opposite of everything Marvel did in spite of themselves. Oh they waited until their sixth movie to bring their characters together? Fuck that, two is loads. Oh they adapt a single story arc per movie? Fuck that, let's use bits of every story the comics fans loved. Oh they mix comedy, drama and action together? Fuck jokes, Hipsters don't laugh anymore (Depressing can work, but not with cheesy dialogue it can't). Oh they use editors? Fuck that, every scene is needed in it's entirety.

It felt as if at some point they had a brainstorming session where they discussed which storyline they'd use, so the writers come in with DKR, The Death Of Superman and Must There Be A Superman? And then Snyder turns and says, "How about we use everything...and loads of more crap on top of that." I'll be astounded if there is a single deleted scene on the dvd extras, because Christ did it feel like they gave us every second of film they shot.

I kind of feel similar towards this as I did with season 2 of True Detective, there's a good product in there somewhere, it just needed loads more direction and help from somebody that knew what they were doing.

I did enjoy:

• Affleck was an excellent Batman, and I really hope this experience doesn't scare him off of directing a solo Bat movie where he can be creatively involved from the start.
  • Irons was perfect as Alfred. Not a single complaint there.
  • Cavill is a good Superman, he just hasn't been in a good Superman movie yet. Not his fault though.
  • Wonder Woman was cool and has me intrigued for her solo outing.

Other than that though, the movie was a solid "eh" for me.

Edited by alive she cried
  • Upvote 2

yeah, ASC's gif is killing me

see i was talking to jumbie about how i was gonna take umbrage at "traditional" cinematic bats vs comic/animated/the idea most of us have of him, but it might be a larger issue: deep down, i'm prolly more bothered by superman killing than bats, since clark has both the strong inclination & vast ability to find another way. Man of Steel literally wasted his first outing by not letting him be superman, and painted him into a corner so he'd have to take that route with Zod - Jumbie rightfully points out post-Crisis supes doing similar early on, but now i can't help but wonder if it wouldn't really have bothered me/anyone if we had a flick before it where he got to save people, minimize collateral damage, act in a way to inspire (and, you know, actually give call to all the statues/reverence he oddly had in BvS) - we may've actually felt for him having to take that last resort with a truly overwhelming force (again, early on for him, too), and by proxy, bats' late-era carelessness causing so many deaths might not've been as jarring.

I realize i'm coming at this from a comics fanboy perspective, but given how much pandering there was here, i don't think that's unfair. the stereotype that existed for ages (and books like JLA/Avengers pointed out) is that DC's big heroes are practically revered, and frown on even WW taking life when the entire league's on the line. Marvel, by contrast, is generally darker & has fractured heroes with (FF aside) questionable relationships with their public image/etc...which is to say, Snyder/Goyer's dark (both tonal, and contrast/gamma; fucksake, does everything go down at night?!) story with characters that don't seem to care much for the people/world they're up on crosses to protect...man, the more i think about it, there's points i could add to my "the ugly" section but it all ties to this not feeling like a story for either character, especially not Supes.

Damn, WB is already throwing up a deleted scene...

I had to turn to the internet for help explaining what the hell this meant . . . The main theory is that the creature glimpsed is Steppenwolf, who in the comics was one of Darkseid's Elite (and also human-like, not a crazy horned monster thing).

Well, that prison cell rant by Lex has become clearer.

...huh

again even i didn't catch that the winged creatures in the red son-esque dream sequence/alternate reality were from apokalips, but i really thought the bell ringing bit was clearly about darkseid...if you're gonna throw a big enough baddie out there that'd require the entire JLA (and we just kinda handled doomsday), he seems like a really great choice.

honestly, we haven't seen enough of Thanos in the MCU for me to comment, but villains are really important in these things; Ultron being kinda ehh for me knocked Avengers 2 down a few pegs. if they (read: different crew) nail darkseid & the thread he brings, JLA could be a really awesome flick! my current hope is that the backlash causes WB to push this back a bit & go with a new vision, maybe bump up Green Lantern's return & make him viable member of the team! he'd really fit in with the cosmic madness this'd cause...it's a longshot, but i'm hopeful!

Snyder does fine with a good writer. He just has no ability to make good story decisions on his own like Ron Burgundy with the teleprompter. There are better directors than Snyder but it's David Goyer and Christopher Nolan that need to go.

Edited by Iambaytor
  • Upvote 1

An Academy Award winning screenwriter happens to be one of your stars? Why isn't that option one? Article says it's merely an option.

Good Will Hunting was a well-written, well-plotted movie. Preachy, but Affleck's had time to become cynical since then so that idealism won't get in the way.

The best thing about Good Will Hunting from the POV of a Justice League movie is that there were a lot of 1-1 relationships portrayed with people philosophically opposed to each other, bumping against each other and then some prevailed and others didn't and it all played out very naturally.

BTW, I hear a lot of people seem stuck on puzzling out the Superman/Jon Kent dream sequence...

After Superman died in the comics, there was a one-off issue where Superman's spirit basically fights its way out of the afterlife with the help of his dead adoptive father against demons who want to keep him trapped there.

The movie dream scene was probably to set that up for later.

I'm betting money now that the Superman resurrection movie, be it Justice League or something else, is going to have Kevin Costner fighting demons to save Henry Cavill.

Edited by Jumbie

Batman V Superman’ Takes A Dive With -70% Second Weekend

Well, the poor reviews and mixed word of mouth are finally taking their toll on the second weekend ticket sales for Warner Bros.’ Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. This morning, BvS woke up from a hangover to learn that they’re on their way to a -70% weekend drop of $50.7M. That fall off is one of the steepest for a superhero film, notching out the -69% posted by 20th Century Fox’s X-Men Origins: Wolverine. All this despite the fact that Bruce and Clark have the Friday-Sunday period all to themselves, without any new wide threats from the other majors plus the added benefit of 30% K-12 schools off, and another 9% colleges on break, per ComScore. The second Friday till for BvS of $15.3M, down 81%, looks like a collapse because it’s compared to last Friday’s $81.55M which includes $27.7M previews. Even if you back those previews out ($53.85M), BvS’ Friday-to-Friday decline is still big at -72%.

i don't rightly follow box office stuff, but i keep hearing there's little chance this clears 1 billion (which both of the last bat films did) with the steep cliff it's rightfully falling off of...and apparently WB through like 400 million at its budget & marketing. any way you slice it, this is a disaster: they tossed 3 of their potentially biggest IP's at this & hoped to launch a cinematic universe from it, and it clearly suffered for that. I can't help but think of what Amazing Spider-Man 2 did to Sony's plans, there's gotta be some heads rolling at WB & a change of direction, because goddamn...DC fans really did deserve better.

*edit: fuck, Justice League starts shooting the 11th of this month? for real? prolly too late to dramatically change gears, here's to hoping for better writing & someone reigning in snyder

xvrirwusaq6d1k3uddts.jpg

512832_v2.jpg

Rewrites can be done pretty fast. Given the money committed already, contracts signed etc, the most likely outcome for JL is a budget drawback and rewrites.

The movies for Flash, , Aquaman, WW and even Batman can be put on hold to see how it pans out.

*Even with the good reaction the characters/portrayals of WW and Batman got, the risk of investing money in them plus the loss on the BvS is probably going to cost them their solo movies depending on how contractually committed the studio is.

Yeah but I think Wonder Woman is mostly done so I could only see reshoots to add some more levity, like they're doing with Suicide Squad. It also may be that they'll realize that the asshat who keeps going on TV and telling all the people who buy tickets to his movies how wrong they are for not liking his movies is box office poison. Goyer has at least had the sense to keep his stupid mouth shut since She-Hulkgate.

What this means for the greater DC universe going forward is anyone's guess but I would bet they're willing to give Affleck a chance since his portrayal was fairly well complemented and he is still an award winning filmmaker who is not Zack Snyder. But Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad are happening whether they like it or not.

• 5 weeks later...

THR Box Office: The Verdict for 'Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice

3zauT73.png

The tentpole is almost at the end of its run at the worldwide box office, where it's the No. 7 superhero movie of all time to date, not accounting for inflation; in North America, though, it won't catch up with 'Deadpool.'

The verdict is in: Zack Snyder's Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice will end up as the No. 7 comic book movie of all time at the worldwide box office to date, not accounting for inflation.

Through Sunday, BvS — which is all but done with its run — has grossed $862.9 million globally, including $325.1 million in North America (37.7 percent of its total) and $537.8 million internationally (62.3 percent). It's likely to finish up in the $875 million range when all is said and done, not enough to change the order.

In terms of 2016 titles to date, BvS trails behind Disney's Zootopia, ($931.4 million and counting).

Since BvS' launch in late March, there's been plenty of debate about the movie's performance, and its steep drop-off following a record-breaking opening of $166 million domestically, a best for the month of March.

Warner Bros. is steadfast in proclaiming the tentpole, starring Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill, an enormous victory, saying it successfully launches the DC cinematic universe. (The next outing is director David Ayer's Suicide Squad on Aug. 5., while Snyder is in the midst of shooting the first Justice League.)

BvS, costing at least $225 million to produce before marketing, has grossed notably more than Snyder's Man of Steel, which first introduced Cavill as the newest superman. Released in 2013, Man of Steel took in $668 million globally and $291 million domestically.

"This is fantastic result, by any measure," said Warner Bros. domestic distribution chief Jeff Goldstein.

Some box-office analysts are more circumspect, noting that Dawn of Justice won't get to $900 million, much less $1 billion.

"Still, outside of Christopher Nolan's two Dark Knight movies, and Tim Burton's Batman films when you adjust for inflation, this is the highest-grossing property in DC's bullpen thus far. It tops Man of Steel by more than $200 million," says analyst Jeff Bock. "So yes, BvS successfully relaunched DC's cinematic universe, but they are nowhere near Disney/Marvel in terms of critical reception and box office prowess. One can only hope that bigger and better is still on the way."

Another insider says to become a member of the billion dollar club requires "a great release date, great reviews and solid social media buzz," a trifecta BvS failed to achieve.

Internationally, BvS didn't break any records in Europe and Asia (it decidedly underwhelmed in China), but overperformed in Latin America.

The movie was roundly rejected by critics (it sports a 27 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes), while audiences only awarded it a B CinemaScore, a poor grade considering most superhero tentpoles have received some variation of an A grade.

But says comScore's Paul Dergarabedian: "In what world is $862 million not a hit? Despite tepid reviews and mixed audience response, the power of the brand and the novelty of the two iconic super heroes going 'mano a mano' has delivered an unqualified global success. From a box office perspective this is a blockbuster hit no matter you slice it.

"Now if you want to talk about the emotional enmity and critical lack of enthusiasm for the film, that's a separate and distinctive argument," Dergarabedian continued. "However that's not relevant to box office-centric perspective that says this movie is a hit."

BvS was originally supposed to open May 6, but relocated to the Easter corridor when it was revealed that Captain America: Civil War would open on the first weekend in May.

SuperheroBoxOffice.jpg

Civil War bout to be like

sJDtWGt.jpg

1462232081881.jpg

also this

Marvel_vs_DC_Licensing_Chart.jpg

I went to see Civil War yesterday. but they were sold out. That superhero itch had to be scratched, so I saw BvS instead. What an unfortunate...series of creative decisions.

Batman outright killed a lot of people - without any second thought. It puzzled me. Right off the bat (hoo-wah!), I was perplexed.

When he goes to save Supes mom, Martha (why did you say that name?! Where is she?! I'm not wearing hockey pants...) - and takes out that gang - that's Batman.

He had some...thing (magnetized explosives?)...like, disarm all the baddies and then he beat the living shit outta them. I don't understand why he couldn't Batman all those people during the earlier car chase. Giant glue canon that stops the cars in their tracks...EMP pulse that shuts their cars down...giant nude cut-out of Monroe that pops out to momentarily distract them as he shoots out their tires. Out of character excessiveness and disregard...when there absolutely was an alternative. The alternative is what makes Batman cool...he doesn't cross that line.

Sure, he's bitter now - but it still totally felt out of character to have Batman nonchalantly and more importantly - unnecessarily land the fucking Batmobile on an armed thug! LOL - WTF!

I understood Supes plight w/ Zod in MoS - I dug it. The end where he's finally got him in a headlock, it could've been shot better so it could've been conveyed properly / more interestingly and have a more satisfying impact, but the point was - he didn't want to kill Zod. He did so, 'cuz he had no other choice. Ironically, I always found Batman to be more self-righteous than Supes.

I totally understood Luther's character and dug it. The performance was border-line cringe worthy - he was trying too hard. The character was like some atheist who had just become disenchanted by religion and had a massive chip on his shoulder in regard to 'hero worship'. Great angle, wrong actor (?) or wrong acting choices (?)...it was so over-the-top. It felt more suited for the Joker - it felt like he was channeling Ledger at moments.

Wonder Woman was pointless. Who is she?! What is happening?! All those meta-human files...that was DC saying: 'Look, man - we don't have the time for all these origin movies. You know who these fucking people are...look: they're all gonna be in the next one, fuck it. I laughed so hard at Aquaman's reveal...and that plastic toy trident...that whole line-up reveal was laughably awful. It was sooo bad...like, right out of an episode of a CW show. All w/ their ready-to-go logos...and stock footage...really?!

The actual BvS fight was terribly lame. Couldn't get into their heads: Batman wants to kill Supes 'cuz of his potential threat and Supes wants to kill Bats 'cuz he needs his help...? Superman tried to explain his situation to Bats, but instead hit him. What? Wh...oh, the title of the movie, right. Batman was a joke in this movie - in regard to all this Affleck praise, yeah - he looks the part. But it was a terrible Batman...not his fault, but yeah - he looked cool.

Doomsday and Superman dying at the end? Grooooooaaaaannn...mega eye-roll. Super eye-roll as the coffin begins to shake...aaand cut to black! LOL!

Overall: I think Man of Steel was a better movie. I enjoyed BvS more 'cuz there was a lot more...stuff in it. Super (da-daaa) interested in seeing the extended / director's cut. I actually think the movie can be salvaged if they connect the dots sum more and add some scenes that allow us to understand the characters a bit more...but, goddamn - it's already at 2 and a half hours.

'Batman v Superman' Fallout: Warner Bros. Shakes Up Executive Roles

The fallout from Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice continues to ripple through Warner Bros.

The Burbank-based studio is making changes to the way it handles its DC Entertainment-centered films, giving oversight of the feature projects to a pair of executives and creating a dedicated division for the films. Current exec vp Jon Berg and Geoff Johns, DC's CCO who successfully launched the comics label's foray into television, will co-run DC Films, according to multiple sources. Warner Bros. declined to comment.

Further executive changes are anticipated, including a potential hire at the senior level.

Berg was already working on BvS, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman and Justice League. He also is the conduit to Ben Affleck, having worked with the actor-filmmaker on Argo and Live By Night, the crime thriller Affleck recently wrapped as director, writer and star for the studio.

With Berg and Johns, Warners is attempting to unify the disparate elements of the DC movies with a seasoned film exec and a comics veteran that together can hopefully emulate the way Marvel Studios has produced its films under the vision of president Kevin Feige. But sources also say Warners still wants to remain filmmaker-driven. As part of the new job, Berg and Johns will become producers on the Justice League movies.

gotta be an improvement, but i can't help but feel Johns was stretched far too thin helming the last few reboots for the books, so this seems like a lotta hats to wear

bYFYl3F.png