Hondo's Bar

The Batman (Reeves)

I've been having real life discussions with work people on why BvS was amazing and that Marvel is sucking it up because they just need to set up the next film. It's easier to read online, but coming from someone in person... I can't. They said they were too "bubblegum".

I hope Batfleck csn pull this off. This is looking like a du pser fire so far though.

Wonder Woman looks cool tho right?

Sucks. If they had to do it all over again, I bet the only thing they would do different - would be to take their time. Solo Supes, Solo Bats - keep the Solo flicks comin' till JL.

I bet this whole venture will be the last time we see a Nolan-like / super-heavy attempt at a Superhero Cinematic Universe for a looong time. The reboot is totally gonna be...

super-friends-12.jpg

Either way, I'm down - LOL, I am just obsessed w/ this mental image of Watchmen - recast w/ DC characters. Ah well, maybe in 40 years - after the 5th cinematic reboot.

• 3 weeks later...

Affleck no longer directing

Now, it looks like Affleck has finally caved to that pressure. According to Variety, he will be stepping down as the director of The Batman, but he will still star as the eponymous caped crusader—reprising his roles from Batman V Superman and the upcoming Justice League. Affleck also released a statement about his decision to give up the directing gig, and it basically sounds like he realized he couldn’t handle the weight of a Batman movie any longer:

There are certain characters who hold a special place in the hearts of millions…Performing this role demands focus, passion and the very best performance I can give. It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require. Together with the studio, I have decided to find a partner in a director who will collaborate with me on this massive film. I am still in this, and we are making it, but we are currently looking for a director. I remain extremely committed to this project, and look forward to bringing this to life for fans around the world.

Now, DC and Warner Bros. will begin searching for a replacement.

ae8442c7412f40bb5c4c3fb82e471fc4.gif

4sYshhj.gif

I'd bet money that he was pushed out after Live By Night tanked.

No way. This is the same studio that has triple-downed on Synder/Goyer with the heart and soul of thier cinematic universe.

Affleck still has that Oscar on his mantle. I'm with ASC, its probably due to studio meddling with the script and/or other behind the scenes production troubles.

Yet more evidence that WB should just give Batman back to Marvel.

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

Just what in the hell is going on over there?

b753ecb2debc2cc1e08d36100764b44e.jpg

My theory is that Affleck ain't feelin' the direction the DCU is going and the 'in-universe' confines he'd have to work in. I can only imagine the amount of 'universe building' / 'thematic retconning' and mandatory 'bullet-points' he'd have to work into a new Batman. Maybe it's another Ant-Man / Fantastic Four situation goin' on? "I'll put the cowl on ("we're in the money!") - but I ain't puttin' my name ™ on this...product'.

Yet more evidence that WB should just give Batman back to Marvel.

LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

The Batman: Warner Bros. Reportedly Seeking New Script & Creative Team

“…the project will undergo substantial changes and possible/probably another full rewrite. Warner Bros. is already speaking to several filmmakers about taking over in the director’s chair — including one of my personal longtime favorites to direct a Batman movie, Matt Reeves, who seems to be the frontrunner — and word is the project will essentially get a fresh start once a new creative team has been put together.”

batman-bombbesp6.gif

I thought an Affleck-directed Batsy film could help save the DC cinematic universe, now my faith is shaken! If they get Matt Reeves, it could still be great (really enjoyed his Apes film and what I could watch of Cloverfield before I got too nauseous), but damn. When you start hearing words like "rewrites" and "retooling" especially this early on, it's NEVER a good sign!

When you start hearing words like "rewrites" and "retooling" especially this early on, it's NEVER a good sign!

yeah, i was gonna ask - can you think of a movie that went through something similar & ended up being good? cause ive seen it many times with games and i'm struggling to think of a time that happened.

Today in DCEU: Affleck reportedly wants out as Batman

On the latest episode of Collider Movie Talk, host John Campea stated he has heard from three separate sources involved with Warner Bros. over the last four days that Affleck is looking to leave the role of Batman. Along with a warning to take what he’s heard with a grain of salt, Campea said:

“Ben Affleck, make no mistake, he wants out. He doesn’t want to be Batman anymore.”

tumblr_n8n2wxOmgU1rrkahjo1_400.gif

i mean, it's a rumor so nothing could come from it - but if they're really that lost with the solo movie & the studio doesn't wanna change directions, i could believe it

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Reeves to direct and produce The Batman for WB

Matt Reeves has closed a deal to direct and produce The Batman for Warner Bros.

"I have loved the Batman story since I was a child," Reeves said in a statement. "He is such an iconic and compelling character, and one that resonates with me deeply. I am incredibly honored and excited to be working with Warner Bros. to bring an epic and emotional new take on the Caped Crusader to the big screen."

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah - I'm sure DCs down to put R-rated IPs onscreen, but I don't see the 'Superfriends' taking that route. Unnecessary and kinda self-destructive - kids can go see the Marvel stuff (Spidey / Cap) but, not DC (Bats / Supes).

Question is - what R-rated stuff does DC have that can stand against Deadpool...that's really what they're cookin' up.