Hondo's Bar

The Batman (Reeves)

yeah, i was wondering that too - is Animal Man even in the running? my first guess was that this might be about Lobo, if that happens

I wish I could go back to the 80s and show Sam Raimi or Peter Jackson New 52 Animal Man and see that shit get made.

Edited by Axels

so, i'd forgotten to post this one: Matt Reeves to direct and produce The Batman for WB

Matt Reeves has closed a deal to direct and produce The Batman for Warner Bros.

"I have loved the Batman story since I was a child," Reeves said in a statement. "He is such an iconic and compelling character, and one that resonates with me deeply. I am incredibly honored and excited to be working with Warner Bros. to bring an epic and emotional new take on the Caped Crusader to the big screen."

QwYS96f.jpg

but, god knows he's got time now: Film: ‘The Batman’ Delayed as the Script is Rewritten From Scratch

We can now report that there is more going behind-the-scenes as well. According to sources close to the production, the screenplay for The Batman is being rewritten from the ground up, so it’s entirely possible that everything we’ve heard about the film’s story will no longer be in play.

For the record, the original screenplay for The Batman was supposedly in flux last month, when it was initially reported that the studio was eyeing a “fresh start.” A day later, it was reported that everyone was happy with the latest draft. Affleck, Chris Terrio, and DC Comics writer and CCO Geoff Johns were among those who worked the first version of the screenplay, which reportedly featured Batman facing off against Deathstroke.

While the internet’s knee-jerk response to reshoots and rewrites in general is to shout “Trainwreck!”, this actually sounds like good news. This means that Reeves, a talented director and a fine match for the Dark Knight, isn’t simply taking on leftovers – he’s actively involved in tailoring the film to his sensibilities. It’s not clear who is responsible for the new script quite yet, but this feels like everyone slowing down, taking a moment, and setting out to do this right rather than rush to meet a release date.

That's so weird, when you mentioned this and I went looking, it was like a few pages down on a google search which is how I missed it. And it wasn't on his IMDB page then, but it is now, so I guess this is legit. This gives me a small amount of hope, but I hope the script re-write isn't a bad sign! Maybe they finally realized how hard DC movies have sucked and went back to square one!

They need to stop following internet trends and focusing energy on what 'the internet' will like - and just commit to a vision.

I think the internet's response to Man of Steel derailed the initial vision Snyder and WB had for the DC cinematic universe.

Their attempt to 'fix things' is where the whole thing fell apart. I can compare Man of Steel w/ Prometheus. The internet destroyed those movies - hence, the effort to fix what 'memes' sez doesn't work. The result is...wallet pandering - instead of a unique, genuine attempt at something creative. It's just a transparent race against Marvel now. I want two different animals doing their own thing.

I don't think a common vision is really necessary to make a shared universe work. I know Marvel makes it work and they're great and I love them but I think their formula stifles creativity to a certain degree which is comically inflated in the case of DC. The comics themselves all have different feels: an issue of Wonder Woman has a very different tone from an issue of Batman and Batman is tonally very different from Superman. DC's main issue is that they hired two douchebags to set their entire universe in some dystopic amalgamation of Frank Miller and Christopher Nolan's Batman universes. Batman v. Superman: Bathole Sun Won't You Come was tonally fine for a Batman movie and I'd argue that about 3/5 of Man of Steel was okay for a Superman movie. I still very much enjoy Suicide Squad aside from some dodgy editing courtesy of studio fuckery, it was a perfect adaptation of the thing on which it was based and I will never stop loving it for that no matter how many Harley Quinn buttcheeks try and spoil it. It was a step in the right direction. What I like about what I see of Wonder Woman so far is looks like it takes place outside of that Batman grim-and-gritty world, maybe it will be but since Wonder Woman was the one really good part about Batman v. Superman, she's already got a chance of elevating the universe just on the strength of Gal Gadot alone so-far. My only concern is that her rogues gallery is awful but Iron-Man managed to work around that, so who knows. I'm withholding judgment until I see for sure but I've got a good feeling about this even if it is tinged with concern.

Y'all think this Bats should / will be a Prequel?

I think a different kind of 'Bat-movie' we haven't seen in awhile, would be a full-on Batman and Robin movie.

A legit Batman and Robin movie could be kew. BvS had Robin pretty much done (Greyson?) - SSquad had Joker still out n' about. Honestly, I don't want anymore of that Gangsta-Joker...I'd love a straight-up clown Joker again. Like, Romero / Nicholson. Not a junkie or a ghetto-fabulous...whatever that was...but a white-gloved, lethal cartoon character contrasted against the hard-ass streets of Gotham.

Unfortunately, they can't back-track this cinematic Joker - maybe a Prequel w/out the Joker and a Robin that lives at the end, could be a solid stage / setting to showcase the characters and world (Gotham) - w/out having to worry about the thousands of mandatory tie-in stuff. Batman and Robin vs...?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Noir? Detective? Dare we start getting excited?

Also, for the love of Christ, can someone at DC/Warner please realise how amazing a HBO Gotham Central show would be? Every six months or so I remember this could be a thing but isn't and get sad.

Edited by alive she cried

I like everything Matt Reeves is saying in that video. Seeing how much of it bears fruit or is actually realize don film is a longtime off though. So, who knows what we'll end up with.

A character-driven Batman flick sounds freakin' awesome.

I hope it's the 'No guns. No killing.'-Batman. That's my Batman.

Agreed on both points. However, we've seen the latter Batman in pretty much every film (I suppose you could make an argument for him being a killer in Batman Begins) except BvS. So I really didn't mind him being a more brutal, Frank Miller (I'm the Goddamn Batman!) type in BvS. That type of Batman has a legacy in the comics, so I was okay with seeing it on screen. That being said. I hope either this film or a future standalone film in the DCEU adequately shows the audience how Batfleck got so vicious and brutal; something to show us Batfleck wasn't always this laissez fare about killing and that "something" mad ehim this way. My guess would be they're setting it up for a "Death in the Family" type situation with Joker pushing Batfleck over that edge to what we see in BvS. Edited by Mr. Hakujin
Nanananananana...BATfleck!

Agreed on both points. However, we've seen the latter Batman in pretty much every film (I suppose you could make an argument for him being a killer in Batman Begins) except BvS. So I really didn't mind him being a more brutal, Frank Miller (I'm the Goddamn Batman!) type in BvS.

Have we, though? Keaton on Batman '88 straight-up murders The Joker, he gleefully murders a guy in Batman Returns by sticking a bomb in his pocket, Kilmer causes Two-Face to fall to his death (though that movie at least makes the stakes high enough that it shows that this kill is done out of necessity rather than impatience/enjoyment), Clooney locks a woman in a cell with a big beefy bastard whose wife she killed recently, Bale murders the fuck out of some cops and refuses to save Ra's al Ghul (it could be argued that he didn't kill anybody in Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises but he could've tried harder to save both Two-Face and Talia al Ghul. Even Kevin Conroy inadvertently killed the Joker in that Batman Beyond movie. These are all minor things but recall that Frank Miller's Batman went so far out of his way to make Batman stick to his rigid philosophy that he didn't even cross the line and kill the Joker after he had killed an amusement park full of children. The only cinematic Batman with no blood on his hands is Adam West. Both Suicide Squad and seemingly the new Justice League movie are depicting a course correction for Batman and it would seem that they're just going to kind of handwave Batman's fire-branding murderous ways. A Batman with principles would be helpful and they have a path to that with the budding romance between Bruce and Diana they're leaning toward.

^^I think it's fair to say one of the darkest, most brutal versions of the Dark Knight in comics is Frank Miller's and the darkest, most brutal versions of Batman on film is BvS Batfleck. (I guess it could be interesting if we went into a discussion over the perceived violence in those Batman films versus the actual violence. Well, except for the Schumacher films b/c there's no way I'm rewatching those.) So I don't think it's a stretch at all to consider them analogous. You do make a good point about Miller's Batman never killing. I never claimed Miller's DK ever did kill, only that he was the Batman I tend to first associate with the most extreme brutality. Zach Snyder really should've been reminded of fact this prior to BvS though.

bats killing in movies throws me off, but he's not even a detective there either and usually doesn't fight well so i'm okay with just accepting what we get, for the most part

i'm a bit saltier about supes killing, personally

I'm was so okay w/ him killing Zod - I just really think that whole scene could've been shot n' edited better to really push the point - that he had no other choice.

YES - the Supes we all know is infallible and would've found some way to stop Zod's destructive carnage w/out any casualties...but that's not who the re-imagined character in 'Man of Steel' was.

They needed to have more scenes in that movie that emphasized Clark's view of 'refusing to take a life'...to make that Zod end-scene have more of the intended 'punch'. (Zoink) Failed in set-up and in execution...but I very much got the point, w/ this version of Supes.

"Don't make me do this." Was the point. A poorly executed point.

Nooowhere near as criminal as Bats' - 'I don't have to save you' line in Batman Begins.

YES - the Supes we all know is infallible and would've found some way to stop Zod's destructive carnage w/out any casualties...but that's not who the re-imagined character in 'Man of Steel' was.

to me, that's what separates supes from the rest of the bunch - take that away, and you lose some of the tao of the character. it was shitty writing to make that basically feel like his first day on the job (we literally haven't seen a superman who saves people & seems to enjoy doing so) but part of me can't get over how this dude plays a great character that doesn't feel like suepes to me.

I'm watching sum 1948 Supes right now - I miss and totally prefer the 'classic Superman'. I'm sure he'll be back in the next reboot.

I just saw what they were trying for w/ 'Man of Steel'...like, 'I got it.' (shrugs) I dug it. It could have worked - a solid sequel (MoS2) could've totally put things back on track / have the wrinkles ironed-out, but they just doubled-down on chasing 'Avengers' money. LOL - it's all just so sloppy. Doesn't feel like there's any faith or even commitment to a vision - just trend-chasing and adjustments because...'well, the internet sez...'.

You gonna re-invent an icon - it's gotta be airtight. BvS cemented the 'dropping of the ball' for the DCCU's potential - w/ a miserable, bitter-af murderous Bats on a mission to kill Superman...'cuz a floating head told him to.

248-thumb-6.jpg

9be837ab3af5e8a4f1885e5eda20e570.jpg

Dying to see what Whedon does w/ the mess.

Depends on which version. In the alternate (edited) cut, he slips, falls and electrocutes himself.

... and in either version, Conroy's Batman wasn't the one who killed joker, and also never explicitly killed anyone, even going out of his way to save his defeated enemies like Kiyodai Ken.

In the unrated version Tim kills Joker without Batman being able to interfere but in the theatrical cut Batman just watches, even though Tim is clearly emotionally compromised. For almost any other hero that would be excusable but in Batman's case inaction is the same as assisting. Sure, it's not sticking a bomb in the Joker's jacket or tying him to a gargoyle and letting him fall to his death but just like leaving Ra's al Ghul on the train in Batman Begins, it would count for Batman because he wouldn't allow it to happen.