Hondo's Bar

The Batman (Reeves)

I just watched both versions on youtube. Conroy's Batman couldn't do anything in either version.

In the censored version, Batman's out cold and the Joker slipped and fell, accidentally pulling on a power switch and electrocuting himself after Tim pushed him into some equipment. In the Uncensored version, he's damn near unconscious and could barely say Tim's name; he he is being presented as a target to Drake by the Joker; and it was Robin's last moment target switch that Joker died. Just saying the animated Batman never got a personal kill count either; even when they went nitty-gritty.

Didn't see the look of relief on Batsy's face as he was dropped like a sack of potatoes and while he probably didn't pass out he was still unable to move for a few seconds until after the joker fried and Batgirl came running in, but the whole point of the censoring was that joker's death was now an accident, which makes no sense

but you're saying he could have prevented that?

Edited by Drifter

How? They turned it into an accident with the censoring. Should Batman have put rubber booties on the Joker with some slight of hand as he was being held up as a live target? Maybe call out for the Joker to be careful and not to slip?

Edited by Drifter

There's a lot of contrivances in that scene that don't really work. Batman has taken harder hits than that and gotten up, he has a ton of gadgets but a wiry guy putting him in a headlock immobilizes him and he gets up almost immediately afterward. Any other time he would've thrown a batarang or a batline or some other thing and immobilized Joker before Tim pushed him, the way he didn't even try to get up says to me he was letting things play out, which reads with the way he impulsively tried to beat the fuck out of him earlier in the scene because he was emotionally compromised.

but the uncensored version where he is basically letting Tim shoot him, it isn't his fault that the Joker got snuffed because how could he know that Drake would switch targets there at the last second?

Edited by Drifter

Uncensored version is a different story, I think the censored version has a darker undercurrent. Whether that's intentional or not, who can say.

I do think he probably had a batarang or something at the ready if Tim shot him. He's Batman.

Edited by Iambaytor

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Reeves confirms ‘The Batman’ is starting over from scratch

In March there was a rumor that said The Batman script would be starting over from scratch, and now we have confirmation from director Matt Reeves.

Reeves was a guest on MTV’s Happy Sad Confused podcast and host Josh Horowitz asked if he was going to be working off of Ben Affleck and Geoff John’s original script. “No,” Reeves replied. “It’s a new story. It’s just starting again. I’m excited about it. I think it’s going to be really cool.”

This might not be good news for Joe Manganiello, who was supposed to play the villain Deathstroke. Reeves has described his take on The Batman as a noir driven, detective version.

Reeves also talked about his meeting with Warner Bros. about The Batman. He explained to them that he needed a break after working on War for the Planet of the Apes for three years (it’s out this weekend), so don’t expect The Batman production to begin this year.

giphy.gif

deathstroke's out i guess? again, anything we can do to distance from BvS sounds like a plus in my book

• 4 months later...

Ben Affleck Is Planning His DC Exit, Won't Commit to The Batman

a3gyGdvh.jpg

Ben Affleck's version of Batman may very well be done in the DCEU following his appearance in Justice League. The star, at one point, was attached to co-write, direct and star in The Batman, the upcoming solo movie centered on DC's Dark Knight, but those days have long since passed. Now, it appears that Affleck won't even be playing the titular character in The Batman, as he admits it's not a certainty in a new interview.

Justice League is set to arrive in theaters this weekend and Ben Affleck has been out promoting the movie, which is the culmination of the entire DCEU up to this point. When asked about appearing in The Batman, which still doesn't have a release date, Affleck said it's "something I'm contemplating," casting doubt on his appearance in the first solo Batman movie in this new DC movie universe. He went on, adding that nobody does it forever and that he wants to find a "graceful" way to leave the role behind. Here's what he had to say.

"You don't do it forever, so I want to find a graceful and cool way to segue out of it."

Even since it was announced Ben Affleck isn't going to be directing The Batman, his future in the DCEU has been in doubt. It's been a roller coaster of rumors suggesting he's not going to play Batman again, with conflicting reports saying he's going to play the part for years to come. Over the summer, during Warner Bros.' presentation for Justice League at San Diego Comic-Con, Affleck seemed to squash rumors that he's walking away from the part, expressing a great amount of enthusiasm for Batman.

"Let me be clear. Batman is the coolest f---ing part in any universe. I am so thrilled to do it. It is f---ing amazing. After two films, Kevin Tsujihara, Sue Kroll and Toby Emmerich have said, 'We want you to be our Batman.' I would be an ape on the ground for Matt Reeves. It's a great time in the DC universe, and you can see why I am so excited to play Batman."

Considering the turmoil that's surrounded the production of Justice League, it's possible that Ben Affleck just wanted to play ball and not create any more negative press ahead of the release. It looks like Justice League will avoid the critical lashing that Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice took and it's set to dominate at the box office this weekend. Now that it looks like the movie is, more or less, in the clear, Affleck seems to be more willing to express doubt about the future of his Bruce Wayne.

The DCEU is showing no signs of slowing down and they have movies lined up for years. Assuming Justice League does what it's supposed to do, Warner Bros. is going to keep pumping them out. Batman is an enormous part of that universe and, even if they have to "gracefully" usher Ben Affleck out of the role, they're going to want someone playing Batman in future DCEU movies. Based on these new comments made to USA today, put your money on Affleck hanging up the cape and cowl in the near future.

• 1 year later...

People losing their minds over this reminds me of when Heath Legder was cast as the Joker. I'll admit that even I was skeptical. Then we all know what happened and I tried never to judge a weird casting like that again (I'm sure I've still judged, hence tried). I will reserve judgement until I see dude in action.

Edited by Panch
  • Upvote 1

I have two problems with this:

1. Pattinson has been using his post-Twilight visibility to really do some interesting things as an actor and getting attached to a major franchise can really get in the way of that.

2. I've come to learn that the arms race to get the perfect super hero body is probably extremely harmful to the actors getting them and as a scrawny little Brit in concerned what getting a Batman physique will do for his health down the line.

39 minutes ago, Iambaytor said:

1. Pattinson has been using his post-Twilight visibility to really do some interesting things as an actor...

This. Also, so has Kristin Stewart but that's a conversation for another thread!

But yeah, Pattinson's been crushing the indie scene. He even got some Oscar buzz for his role in Good Time. This article sheds some light on his post-Twilight career. Has this been officially confirmed because every headline I'm seeing is different. I'd honestly prefer him to Nicholas Hoult. I'm interested to see what he does with it!

Edited by Donatella
forgot to link the article!
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...