Hondo's Bar

MegaCon - Orlando, Florida

The NZA

Just so anyone who was interested knows, its me, Mulan & Junkerseed, lookin to be a 2 day excursion, and runnin us all bout $50 a head, which is pretty damn cheap id say (before food tho, we'll make sandwhiches or somethin).  Oughta be fun...had to right off the water park part, twas too expensive.  Anyway, big ass comic con & Kevin Smith alone oughta be a blast. :D

• 2 weeks later...

For all of you that didn't go you totally missed an awesome convention.  We got to meet Kevin Smith and I was in a loss for words...too giddy I guess.  But Nick and Danny got in a good hearty handshake.  But you should see their autographs...too funny beyond belief.  Anyways his panel was one of the many highlights.  He's such a cool guy.  Mewes couldn't make it, but still worth the trip and the traffic jam sittin and the stupid stupid rain.  We overall made out like bandits coming home broke but not empty handed...exibit A nick's apartment.  I'm glad we could also meet Sergio Argones.  Think that was another of Nick's highlights.  Can't believe I was standing next to the man and didn't recognize him.  And finally getting Nick's ultimate spidey #1 autographed by Bendis was pretty cool.  The costumes were neat too.  My favorite had to be the Lulu lookalike.  Man do these people go all out.  

Well if there are more interesting guests next year...I'll have to make this trip once again.   :D

Oh and KEVIN SMITH rocks!

It was badass.  Nobody was a dick and wanted $ for autographs, most folks were real friendly...

found much of what i was lookin for, and JunkerSeed & I raided the two places that had trade paperbacks for half off, that shit was incredible.  Im startin to think that guy is a magnet for good deals.  Didnt hurt to have Mulan, the world's greatest finder of obscure things along either.

I still wish more of us couldve gone but i wont lie: no one that came spent less than around a hundred bucks on the various cool shit they had there.  

Chiefy - if youre readin this, i tried to pick ya up the new War Machine series but the guy wouldnt haggle. Lemme know if you still want it, ill keep an eye out here in town.

Anyway, thanks again to Mulan & Junker for a really great time. And yeah, the Kevin Smith panel alone was pretty much worth the trip - many inside stories & jokes on Jay, Jason Lee, Affleck etc if youre a fan.

Here's to hopin they find a way to somehow top it next year.  Now i just gotta find out if any big conventions show up in Texas... ???

Yeah, it was an incredible weekend.  I only expected to spend a little bit of money on like 2 trades and maybe a poster, I left spending over a hundred on like a billion half-off trades and the entire run of that H.A.R.D. corps series.  Costumes were outta hand, I still say the killer condom was one of the best.  The panel was certainly the highlight, Smith is way too cool.  Whoever didn't go really needs to consider going to one eventually.  Well, I've gotta read about a billion pages worth of comics, so that's all I have to day about that.

• 1 year later...

Hey, im jumpin the gun on this one - MegaCon is March 5-7 2004 - but theyre startin to announce guests and im hyped. :D I dont know that many comic fans out here in miami will wanna tag along (Junker if you read this, whaddya think?), just thought id throw it out there. Silent Bob & the northern FL folk, who are closer anyway - we should meet up this year, man. Anyone else who might be by the east coast at that time next year, cmon, itll be a cool forum meetup! For us comic folk anyway.

So, they announced some celebs like the Smallville chick or whatever, anyway here's the artists/writer so far:

Kaare Andrews

Brian Michael Bendis - Cant wait to meet this guy again, he's really fuckin cool. Maybe he'll know my from his board, who knows?

John Cassaday - Captain America guy

Amanda Conner

Phil Jimenez - Artist on New X-Men right now

Andy Lee

David Mack - Holy fuck, i have to read Kabuki by March

James O'Barr - For you Crow fans

Jimmy Palmiotti - Excellent inker/artist, see him on older Daredevil

Walter Simonson - The best Thor writer out there, i gotta get him to sign a trade

Craig Thompson - Writer/artist of Blankets!

Skottie Young

Luis Amado

Tony Bedard

Jose Caraballo

Patrick Carlucci

Jim Cheung

Laura DePuy

Chuck Dixon

Steve Epting

Glenda Finkelstein

Jeff Johnson

Greg Land

Ron Marz

Stanley Morrison

Mike Perkins

Brandon Peterson

Adrian'Asia'Petty

Justin Ponsor

Ariel Rivero

Tone Rodriguez

Steven Sanchez

Bart Sears - He & Ron Marz did The Path, i wanna get some sigs

Josh Sullivan

Gotta get familiar with more of these names, too....anyway, just throwing it out there. It goes like this:

Hours

Friday 12:00pm - 7:00pm For attendees who purchase Advance tickets.

Friday 1:00pm - 7:00pm For attendees who purchase tickets at the door.

Saturday & Sunday 10:00am - 6:00pm

Tickets purchased at the door:

$18 per day or $40 for a weekend pass

Tickets purchased online:

$15 per day or $35 for a weekend pass

Group Rate Tickets:

Over 25

$13 one-day pass or $32 weekend pass

Got plenty of time to set up meets, where to stay etc....i usually like to go for 2 days, that way you can look around & attend some panels. No "Guest of Honor" like Kevin Smith yet, ill update back as they add people.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, a lot of us comic fans are saddened because we can't make it up to things like WizardWorld, but us Floridians do have the almost-as-good MegaCon to look forward to, every year. And this year's list is hella good!

First off, for a fanboy like me, the headliners are none other than Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes!

But it just gets better!

Kaare Andrews

Brian Michael Bendis

John Cassaday

Amanda Conner

Terry Dodson

Fred Gallagher

Cully Hamner

Adam Hughes

Phil Jimenez

Michael Lark

Andy Lee

David Mack

James O'Barr - Creator of "The Crow"

Jimmy Palmiotti

Kelsey Shannon

Walter Simonson

Brian Stelfreeze

Karl Story

Skottie Young

Luis Amado

Robert Atkins

Tony Bedard

Jose Caraballo

Patrick Carlucci

Jim Cheung

Matthew L. Dalton

Laura DePuy

Chuck Dixon

Steve Epting

Jennifer Janniere Farrell

Glenda Finkelstein

Derrick Fish

William J Hodgson

Jeff Johnson

Greg Land

Ron Marz

Bob McLeod

Stanley Morrison

Mike Perkins

Brandon Peterson

Adrian'Asia'Petty

Justin Ponsor

Emily Rigelsky

Ariel Rivero

Tone Rodriguez

Steven Sanchez

Bart Sears

Josh Sullivan

Bryan "Kaiser" Tillman

Oh, and Brad "Wormtongue" Dourif.

Sadly. Craig Thompson was on the list, but had to back out. Here's hoping he can change his mind before March comes up. I'd love to get my copy of Blankets signed.

Coulda sworn i made this thread a while back...

Thompson backed out? Thats a damn shame. My plan now is to read "Kabuki" before March. Hey, im talkin to some folks on the Bendis board on meetin up, wanna do a group fanboy thing over there? Could be fun..hope they announce more panels & such. Im hyped, might actually have some $ in time too. If so, im killin that half-off trade table this time.

Coulda sworn i made this thread a while back...

Yeah, I think you made one about MegaCon in general...somewhere. But I figured the guest list was enough to bring it back up.

Im hyped, might actually have some $ in time too. If so, im killin that half-off trade table this time

Not if me and my insurance money gets there first :D

• 2 weeks later...

Heh...good luck with that one Bob. :D

Bad News first:

*Due to unforeseen circumstances, Warwick Davis & Craig Thompson

will not be attending MegaCon

and finally: the Good News

They're back...JAY AND SILENT BOB

Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes!

SATURDAY AND SUNDAY ONLY!!

(Signing times to be announced)

MegaCon '04 current guest list

• 2 weeks later...

And it looks like Nodell is back too. Man does this guy get around. I don't think he's missed a single convention.

Man, Kevin Smith again! that's just too cool, but do you really thing Mewes is going to show up this time?

Sux though, I've still go to work. Spring break's not even til April. Oh well, bring back lots of cool stuff and pics. Have fun!

• 8 months later...

Anybody else planning on going to MegaCon '05?

I'll be there to promote and sell LO-FI, and hopefully we'll have a booth instead of a table in Artist's Alley.

Our buddies at Read More Comics are sponsoring MC this year, so we're trying to work out a deal where we'll actually be on the con floor, which'll be great-- we should sell a bunch of copies that way.

We'll probably wind up going for at least a day, depends on who all will be there. We went last year hoping to get Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes but they pulled out at the last minute because Jersey Girl was opening. No matter. We had a good time. We'll see how the guest list shapes up this year and figure it out.

Maaan...last year, ComicXFan reached me through Darick Robertson's website, right? And they offered a position to interview writers & artists for the con, based on some of my reviews theyd seen.

I was really hyped; i didnt have the $ to go, but this was a free pass, and a chance to meet some of the creators, too...sadly, the bottom fell out at the end, and MegaCon revoked many sites' passes.

I mean, accordin to SB, at least i didnt miss too much, but it woudla been cool, i havent been to one since '02 or so. I miss that table that shows up the last day and does 50% off trades.

Anyway, all goes well, count me in for this year, we'll work out a road trip if any miami locals wanna go.

• 3 months later...

Guest list's out for '05's Megacon. Not as impressive as some past years but there're still some decent names on there (like, oh I dunno, Mark Waid). And plenty of time for more people to sign on.

Peter S. Beagle

author of “The Last Unicorn”

Mark Waid

Mike Deadato

George Perez

Michael Avon Oeming

Chuck Dixon

Wilson Tortosa

Aaron Lopresti

Jim Mooney

Marv Wolfman

Ethan Van Sciver

Monte Moore

Phil Jimenez

Tone Rodriguez

Michael T. Gilbert

Roy Thomas

Dan Brereton

Allen Bellman

Gene Colan

George Tuska

Tommy Castillo

Andy Runton

Jinky Coronado

David Campiti

Manuel Aguilera

Robert Atkins

Jerry Beck

Tony Bledsoe

Justin Bleep

Mike Bocianowski

Gil Carlo

Pat Carlucci

Ed Coutts

Terry Cronin

Wes Danielson

Dave DeVries

Joe Fauvel

Derrick Fish

Tom Fleming

Jason Flowers

Joe Gallagher

Randy Green

Linda Grucza

Jeff Hall

Greg Horn

Jennifer Janviere

Rob Jones

Rick Ketcham

Cory Evan Laub

Katherine Leis

Chris Lie

Bob Lizek

Tony Lorenz

Andrew J. Lovoulo

James E. Lyle

James Mason

Pat Martin

Jose Marzan

Steve Mangold

Dove McHargue

Angel Medina

Mark Mekkes

Paul Monsky

Stanley Morrison

Darrell O’Riley

Jason Peltz

Joshua Raynack

Robert Charles Richardson

Emily Rigelsky

Stuart Sayger

Steve Sanchez

Alex Saviuk

Heather Scott

Justin Scott

Mark Sparacio

Sherrie Spencer

Josh Sullivan

Randy Taylor

Bryan “Kaiser” Tillman

Paul Vincenti

Andy Warner

Danny B. Waters

Nathan Weidemer

Xzanthia

Thom Zahler

Ok, so I don't know 95% of the list, but I'm definitely gonna go just to get Gene Colan's sig on my Daredevil drawing.

I'm definitely gonna go just to get Gene Colan's sig on my Daredevil drawing.

Good call..that guy was way ahead of his time.

A few good names up top, and i used to be a Waid fan in the day, but yeah, i hope to see a few more...chances are, if finance is good, ill end up goin just for the half-off trade stand. If it actually works out this year, we oughta do some kinda meetup for sure; again, Junkerseed has a place right around the way from there.

• 1 month later...

Well. it's sounding better...

SPECIAL GUEST OF HONOR

Joe Quesada

Friday

Panel time: 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Signing time: 4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Saturday

Panel Time: 1:10 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Signing time: 4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Just Added!!!

Robert Granito

Billy Tucci

Adam Hughes

Nakanari

Talia O'Neal

Brian Pulido

Skottie Young

Greg Titus

Khary Randolph

Also, they got an indy film fest (of sorts) going this year, and theyre giving funds to ACTOR, which is nothing but good.

Sadly, Bendis says he's definitely out this year, but Joe Q. is a cool addition.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everybody, for the folks going to MegaCon, LO-FI will be at the show in full force.

I don't know our table number, but I do know that we'll be in the indie press section. Keep your eyes peeled for our LO-FI banner and kids wearing LO-FI t-shirts (they're awesome!).

Should be there Saturday and Sunday, but the rest of the crew will be there Friday, since they left Miami today. If you'd like to meet up, definitely drop by the table and say hi!

Cheers,

Bob