Hondo's Bar

Comic book movies

Weren't Beowulf and Polar Express Zemeckis films?

And the recent CGI A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey, and Mars Meets Moms, and the upcoming CGI remake of Yellow Submarine, which I was kind of excited about until I heard it was going to be directed by Robert Zemeckis. Zemeckis hasn't directed a live action film since 2000's Cast Away. A CGI Yellow Submarine remake could have been awesome with cartoonishly proportioned human characters, like The Incredibles, or Wall-E, or How To Train Your Dragon, but glass-eyed Zemeckisian Beatles could make 4 of the world most charming people to ever live and make them uninteresting robots.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Beowulf DID totally suck, I left the theater feeling underwhelmed and anger and hatred have only built up in the time since. Terrible fucking movie, even if it hadn't involved dead eyed monstrosities and the lamest portrayal of Grendel's mom in existence. I don't care if Neil Gaiman did have a part in writing it, because I can garuntee that almost none of his work made it to the screen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I found a guy making some Preacher casting calls here, and although some of the them are silly (I have yet to see a proposed Jesse that I wholeheartedly approve of), some others intrigued me.

Paul Dano as Arseface

paul-dano_l.jpg

arse1.jpg

I like that one. Homeboy points out There Will Be Blood, and I'm glad he did because I forget that was even him sometimes.

Clint Howard as T.C.

clinthow1.jpg

88186-137438-t-c_large.jpg

That's a big "Yeah, no shit" right there. It occurs to me that the idea could have been around for years and I just missed it, because it's absolutely perfect.

Joseph Gordon Levitt as Cassidy

joseph%20gordon%20levitt%20cassidy.jpg

My initial reaction was "that's absurd", but the more I think about it the more I think Levitt could pull it off. Besides being too ethnic looking, I was concerned that he was too young, but dude makes a good point: Cass is only 20, he just looks older because years of substance abuse has taken it's toll. With some proper age lines and a dye job, Levitt could probably do a really good job.

Scott Glenn or Mickey Rourke as The Saint of Killers.

ScottGlenn_Granitz_13014950.jpg

Mickey-Rourke_0.jpg

823694-sofkillers_super.jpg

Glenn is a little scrawny and a lot old, Rourke is the opposite end of the spectrum. The Rourke idea is interesting to me, but even in this post-The Wrestler world I remain unconvinced that he's much of an actor (I think he mostly just plays Mickey Rourke). It could potentially work though, and I don't hate it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Comic Book TV counts too, right? Of course it does.

From TR: The Quick Rise and Immediate Fall of the Punisher TV Show Announcement

Fox has bought an hour-long drama from ABC Studios based on The Punisher, expanding Marvel's television development slate to five live-action series. The project has been given a put-pilot commitment, meaning the pilot is guaranteed to be put into production.

Holy shit! A Punisher TV series? That sounds awesome. You know, I always thought Punisher was uniquely suited for TV -- one dude, no superpowers, few supervillains, just killing criminals. Pretty easy to make, plenty of action, and who wouldn't want to watch bad guys get their asses kicked every week?

Deadline reports the adaptation, from Criminal Minds showrunner Ed Bernero,

Criminal Minds? Okay... well, it's not exactly an action show, but it is a procedural, and I guess The Punisher could be a procedural with more murder at the end, so--

will transform the comic book antihero Frank Castle into a rising-star detective in the New York Police Department who moonlights as a vigilante, seeking justice for those the courts have failed.

Fuck it. Never mind.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Network TV, like Hollywood, also has big problems with most anti-heroes. They have to try really hard to make sure their actions are justified (kinda like Marvel did around the mid to late 90's, actually (if I recall correctly)). Whereas the movie channels can have a dude like Dexter and be cool with it.

Punisher kills bad people. He does it because bad people killed his family and he hates them now, so he kills them whenever he can. /end origin

Commence the ass kickery. And keep out the shots of him weeping in the shower too, por favor. Frank does not have moral dilemmas.

FX used to be on fire with The Shield, Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck and a few others. i dont really know what they show these days, but i know AMC is outdoing them.

Fx has Sunny, Sons of Anarchy, which I hear is excellent, Archer, Damages, which The Vagrant raves about, And Justified, which I also hear is good.

come on, Jax at least refuted my point by using shit i'd heard of.

Remember how I liked It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia for like 3 years before you even discovered it and then you were all "HURR YOU GUYS I FOUND THIS SHOW!" and I called you a late-to-the-game motherfucker? Yeah, it's like that.

Heh. Hipster Ryan Baytor has a valid point, Nick. Also, Sunny is OK, but I don't have the religious fervor for it some geeks tend to. Don't get me wrong, I dig it more than I don't, but it's not "appointment" TV for me. I think I'm still a season or two behind on the series...

Archer on the other hand is comedy gold. I completely forgot that was an FX show. That's what Netflix and torrents will do to ya. :D

Edited by Mr. Hakujin