Hondo's Bar

Comic book movies

what

logans' tastes are sometimes misalinged, like on cap. it happens. not liking Wu saves me time from hearing your thoughts on an entire genre, and let's be honest ryan, if anyone talks to you about Fistfull and doesn't know Yojimbo, your mind usually shuts down anyway

• 3 weeks later...

Fox is desperate to get a Daredevil reboot off the ground, but is running out of time on their contract. They've offered Marvel the return of all Fantastic Four characters in order for an extension on the October 10th production cutoff for Daredevil.

Variety further reports that Fox has good reason for keeping the "Daredevil" rights. The studio is reportedly in discussions with director Joe Carnahan to direct a "Frank Miller-esque, hardcore '70s thriller" version of the Man Without Fear, which would most definitely be at odds with the family-friendly tone of Disney/Marvel.

I think they should take the deal, especially with all the cosmic shit coming up. FF includes Silver Surfer and Galactus. Daredevil is more of a street level guy and wouldn't really fit in with the tapestry they're weaving here. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they could make a cool DD movie, but it would pretty much be it's own thing anyway. Fox can do that.

Some think it's all a grand conspiracy and Marvel is actually getting Daredevil back.

Deadline claims that the Galactus/SS report was being "strenuously denied by studio insiders." These sources claim that with Chronicle's Josh Trank onboard to helm Fantastic Four, that film "is a big priority and the studio would be crazy to give away a cornerstone villain. Especially when the studio is very lukewarm about rebooting Daredevil."

I'd prefer the first scenario, but if Fox doesn't give a shit about Daredevil then they shouldn't have him.

I'm kind of just happy some things are changing hands. I can see a silver lining with either outcome.

god yes, get FF, DD, Pun and co back in the gate, then the big question: how the fuck do they possibly get spidey or x-men back? that could be a long, long time there, like comic movies DOA for a few years before the price is anywhere near reasonable, im guessing.

See, at first I figured Disney would just start dumping it's limitless resources on Fox. But I'm not so sure they want Spider-Man and X-Men back. They have merchandising rights, they don't have to pay to get these films made. They sit back, people make their blockbuster movies for them, and then they sell a bunch of toys and have increased book sales.

I'm sure as long as that's the case, Marvel/Disney isn't going to put up much of a fuss about ownership. If it STOPS being the case though, I'm confident Disney could give Fox whatever number they wanted without sweating much at any time. This all falls to the whim of the CPA.

increased book sales.

Why make millions of dollars when you can make thousands of dollars.

Getting the rights to Galactus may work out really well for Marvel Studios, as there are rumors that Jim Starlin, the creator of Thanos is planning on suing Marvel over the film rights to the character, claiming he created the character before being hired by Marvel (this is also rumored to be the reason a recent Thanos limited series scheduled to come out in the Fall was recently canceled, inexplicably). If Marvel is, in fact, seriously concerned that Starlin has a case, they might be moving to replace Thanos as the main villain of Avengers 2, eliminating the need for a Guardians movie (whose primary reason for getting greenlit was to introduce Thanos to audiences in set up of Avengers 2). Replacing Thanos with Galactus and the GG with an FF one, so that Avengers 2 could have FF cameos, would probably work out nicely, and allow Marvel to continue with the cosmic route they seem to want to take. If they can't use Thanos or Galactus, then who knows what might happen.

god yes, get FF, DD, Pun and co back in the gate, then the big question: how the fuck do they possibly get spidey or x-men back? that could be a long, long time there, like comic movies DOA for a few years before the price is anywhere near reasonable, im guessing.

Marvel's got the rights to The Punisher back. They even said they planned to stick with Ray Stevenson, which would mean he'd be playing 2 characters in the same universe.

Why make millions of dollars when you can make thousands of dollars.

Getting the rights to Galactus may work out really well for Marvel Studios, as there are rumors that Jim Starlin, the creator of Thanos is planning on suing Marvel over the film rights to the character, claiming he created the character before being hired by Marvel (this is also rumored to be the reason a recent Thanos limited series scheduled to come out in the Fall was recently canceled, inexplicably). If Marvel is, in fact, seriously concerned that Starlin has a case, they might be moving to replace Thanos as the main villain of Avengers 2, eliminating the need for a Guardians movie (whose primary reason for getting greenlit was to introduce Thanos to audiences in set up of Avengers 2). Replacing Thanos with Galactus and the GG with an FF one, so that Avengers 2 could have FF cameos, would probably work out nicely, and allow Marvel to continue with the cosmic route they seem to want to take. If they can't use Thanos or Galactus, then who knows what might happen.

That is the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard.

"I went to college between doing U.S. military service and getting work in comics, and there was a psych class and I came up with Thanos ... and Drax the Destroyer, but I'm not sure how he fit into it, just anger management probably. So I came up to Marvel and [editor] Roy [Thomas] asked if I wanted to do an issue of Iron Man. I felt that this may be my only chance ever to do a character, not having the confidence that my career was going to last anything longer than a few weeks. So they got jammed into it. Thanos was a much thinner character and Roy suggested beefing him up, so he's beefed up quite a bit from his original sketches ... and later on I liked beefing him up so much that he continued to grow in size."

and here's the best part where he admits the character in every incarnation was just a ripoff of what Jack Kirby was doing with New Gods at the time:

"Kirby had done the New Gods, which I thought was terrific. He was over at DC at the time. I came up with some things that were inspired by that. You'd think that Thanos was inspired by Darkseid, but that was not the case when I showed up. In my first Thanos drawings, if he looked like anybody, it was Metron. I had all these different gods and things I wanted to do, which became Thanos and the Titans. Roy took one look at the guy in the Metron-like chair and said : "Beef him up! If you're going to steal one of the New Gods, at least rip off Darkseid, the really good one!"

In other words he "invented Thanos before coming to Marvel" as much as Bob Kane invented Batman before Bill Finger came along. He's just trying to hop on the train of actual creators finally getting their injustices aired (Siegel and Shuster, Jack Kirby, Alan Moore, etc.) and just trying to make himself look similarly like a victim. He deserves credit and a few royalties just by virtue of coming up with the character (in as much as ripping off Jack Kirby is "creating a character") but Marvel owns the rights and he's just being a dick about it.

I think that Stiltman picture is the single best "Haters gonna hate" picture I've ever seen.

Edited by Iambaytor

That is the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard.

I was not making a judgment on the merits of his case, just that it is rumored that he will sue, and it is rumored Marvel is considering their options.

]

He deserves credit and a few royalties just by virtue of coming up with the character

You're hilarious. "His case is fucking bullshit, and I agree he deserves what he is asking for." unless I am misunderstanding the rumors I've read, he's not seeing Marvel to stop them from using Thanos, he's seeing for credit and royalties.

This is easy.

If they can't use Thanos, then we get a Dr. Strange movie, then Namor makes an appearance during Captain America, Silver Surfer shows up in Gaurdians of the Galaxy.

Throw in a Hulk, because he's the best Avenger anyway.

Then they make a Defenders movie.

efXVX.jpg

You can fill a couple of roles with any random characters. Throw in Punisher or something, who gives a shit? It's got Hulk, the TV sensation.

I'm fairly certain this has been the longterm gameplan for Marvel since the beginning. The Avengers is just a stepping stone to The Defenders.