Hondo's Bar

Comic book movies

Is Sony to part ways with Spider-Man?

Sony has said that it will consider a proposal from activist investor Daniel Loeb that the group should sell off parts of its music and movies business, which includes popular franchises Spider-Man and Resident Evil and the weepy ballads of Brit crooner Adele.

Chief exec Kazuo Hirai told reporters from the Financial Times, Reuters and others that the company's board was discussing the plan to sell a portion of its entertainment biz, suggested last week by the firm's largest investor, Loeb's Third Point hedge fund.

Loeb said he wants the ailing Japanese firm to spin off 15 to 20 per cent of its film and music division in a public offering to raise money for its electronics and turn the entertainment business into a separately listed firm. The fund manager's suggestions carry new weight after revealing that he had increased Third Point's stake in Sony to $1.1bn.

follow-up: NOPE

• 3 months later...

Marvel wants Sackhoff (starbuck) for female super lead

Marvel director/producer Louis D’Esposito was recently quoted saying the company wants to make a female lead superhero movie. He even offered up the characterCaptain Marvel as a possibility.

The Riddick and Battlestar Galactica star revealed as much on a recent podcast, stating Marvel inquired about her availability during the first quarter of 2014.

200px-Kara_Thrace.jpg699121818927871bee22b.jpg

Yes. Sackhoff is a great choice. It's hard to tell how much of Starbuck's awesomeness came from the writing and how much came from her, but I suspect few actresses could have given a performance that resulted in such a great portrayal. It's odd that Marvel would ask her about her availability without asking her to sign an NDA. Usually, they don't want to fuel speculation before they've signed a contract because if there is a lot of positive buzz around someone being cast in a role, it can give the actor some leverage to ask for more money as they are trying to rope them into multi-movie deals. Unless, she did sign one and violated it, in which case, risky move if she wants the role.

Vin Diesel teases 'Merging of Universes' for Marvel Phase 3

When I met with Marvel it wasn’t for anything immediate, it was to talk about a film that would be introduced in the Phase 3 part of Marvel, not for a few years. You wouldn’t be able to see it for a few years. In my mind, Marvel were doing it right, they were enrolling me at the ground level which is the best way to enrol me.

I had heard people over the last year, people saying on the social media page saying “What’s up Vin? Why aren’t you going to Marvel? Why aren’t you doing anything with Marvel? It would be a crime of cinematic history for you not to be in [Marvel movies]”

So I was thinking “This Marvel thing is really becoming really important for these people. What can I do? What should I think about?”

I get the call, I go down to Marvel. A*great meeting. It was even talking about something so big I can’t even talk about because it’s like the merging of brands in a way, which I won’t get into. That was something way, way, way, way, way down the road.

Later, he explains how he was put on the spot at Comic-Con. I was in Hall H when a fan asked him about his meetings with Marvel. This is how it felt from Diesel’s side.

We had agreed not to say anything about the specifics of the meeting. So, now I’ve got the fans who I love more than I love the industry, than I love everybody… I was thinking “I’ve got to be real with them, I’ve got to tell them something” and yet I want to be respectful of people’s process and if people like to do a slow reveal, you know?

Quite frankly, it would have been too much to say and it might have been anticlimactic to say “We’re working on something for 2016” and so I just said “You’re going to hear some really big news” and I left at the end of that and it went crazy.

yay, i guess? i like the long game talk, dont really care about vin

Most probably, but even if she isn't they have Disney money to pay her with should she negotiate for more pay.

It's not like she can turn this down. While she's popular within the nerd community because of her role as Starbuck, she's hardly made it. This could be her REAL coming out party.

I have no idea if she's a lesbian or not.

Edited by Panch

Also, while Vin gets a bad rap for making bad movies, people forget that he was the voice of The Iron Giant in The Iron Giant. While some of you guys might not think that means shit, Vin is lending his voice, not his muscles to these Marvel movies. I say give him a chance.

You seem to think Disney got their Disney money by being generous to actors. Everyone in these Marvel movies except RDJ gets paid very little compared to what they get in other movies.

Which had nothing to do with Disney and the shit pay was from the marvel side of things.

• 1 year later...

Marvel will not be adapting Civil War.

We’ve been enjoying the guessing game recently about what the subtitle of Joe and Anthony Russo’s Captain America 3 might be. The co-directors have been fuelling the fire by suggesting that the title has been in place for years now, and that the reveal will drastically change the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Naturally, that led Marvel fans to run wild with guesses, but allow us to take one possible storyline off of the table. Cap 3 likely won’t retell the Civil War plot from the Marvel comics.

Joe and Anthony Russo were speaking with Desde Hollywood about the DVD release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, which in turn has become a promotional tour for their eventual work on Captain America 3. In this recent interview, they addressed the possibility that Civil War could be the basis of Steve Rogers’ next chapter. Basically, they shot it down.

Joe Russo says:

It’s complex. There are a lot of characters. Marvel doesn’t have ownership of some of the key players in that. [...] I don’t run Marvel, so I can’t say that it won’t happen, but I would say that it is highly unlikely."

The Civil War series stretched multiple issues over several months and involved the federal government launching a Superhero Registration Act. The storyline divides key Marvel heroes into two camps: one led by Captain America and the other led by Iron Man. Dividing Marvel’s two massive on-screen heroes carries certain appeal, for sure. But there are numerous obstacles that Marvel would have to overcome – not the least of which being that Spider-Man, the X-Men and the Fantastic Four are a major part of Civil War, and those character still belong to Sony and Fox.

Now, does this mean Civil War is impossible? Actually, no. Deals could be happening behind the scenes to get characters on screen together. And when we interviewed the Russos, they hinted to us:

Do [the cameo heroes] have to be under contract with Marvel? Maybe they are at another studio. … Listen, when I started collecting, The Secret Wars was one of the first books I ever bought, so that’s always been an obsession of mine to see something of that scale done – a crossover. I don’t know if that would ever be possible, with all the different situations at the studios. But I would love to see a lot of characters on screen together."

Joe and Anthony Russo have been planting seeds left and right about a massive Marvel ensemble. The subtitle for Captain America 3 could melt the Internet when it finally drops. But it likely isn’t Captain America: Civil War. So what else could it be?

Kind've a shame but to be expected since some of the biggest players (especially Spidey) wouldn't be able to make it - hopefully an animated or some other approach might work. Honestly, in the time since this thread was posted in, they made Guardians of the fucking Galaxy a smash hit, so i think they'll be okay.

The X-Men and the FF were not a "major part" of Civil War.

I don't think it's completely out of the question that Marvel could work something out with Sony. They seem to have a friendly relationship.

Fox, on the other hand...I think they fucking hate those guys. Part of the reason they're killing Wolverine is probably out of spite.

heh, i hadn't really thought of that...mostly because the last two times :wolvy: died it was terrible and quickly forgotten.

The X-Men did mostly stay on the bench, but Reed spent a lotta time twirling his evil mustache along with Tony, that'd be something of a loss.

Having had a few years to think on this I've come to a realization: FUCK CIVIL WAR, I appreciate what it and Diassembled did for making the brand more mature without descending into 90s X-cess excess but I revisited it recently as well as several nooks from that era in getting caught up on Marvel cosmic and it's a chore. If I wanted to read a needlessly violent book where characters jump to absurd conclusions, act out of character, and generally behave like assholes I'd just re-read the first few years of the Ultimate line. It was a tonal reboot for the Marvel universe and it brought about a lot of good things but there's nothing there to get nostalgic about.

Edited by Iambaytor

..yeah, even aside from the bad (millar'd) ending, i can see it not ageing well, Ultimates is prolly a good parallel. i do like the concept though, but even then we need more time with the Avengers & other new characters & teams being introduced before audiences are gonna care about the drama of seeing them fight each other/solve political problems with their fists.

maybe by that point sony will have run the spidey franchise into the ground enough? feels pretty optimistic, granted.

• 3 weeks later...

rumor: Sony talking about sharing Spider-Man with the Marvel Universe?

Sony, on the other hand, may be doing things the opposite way. While I can’t get the confirmations I need to verify the story, I’m hearing that there are some very cool “Spider-Man” plans being discussed that would help Sony refocus their enormously important franchise while also opening up some connections in the onscreen Marvel movie universe that would blow fandom’s minds. Will it work out? I don’t know. I would love to be able to state for sure that it’s happening. What seems clear from what I’ve heard is that Marvel wants to be able to play with all of their characters, and if they can make that work creatively and on a corporate level, they will, and that means the world gets bigger again.

man, i really thought they'd have a few more years of running that franchise into the ground before this was on the table, but obviously it'd be awesome to see...also apparently Avengers 3 will be 2 movies now?