Hondo's Bar

Comic book movies

The thing about Atomic Robo is that by its nature its out of order. It's a series of glimpses into the robot's long as life from being invented by Nicola Tesla to the far flung future, they're little unrelated episodes about a common character that makes Hellboy seem orderly and straightforward. Also at one point Carl Sagan shoots a big scary future gun, it's pretty awesome.

Chronicle director in talks to make Venom movie

The Los Angeles Times reports that Sony is in negotiations with Chronicle director Josh Trank to helm the Spidey villain's solo feature film.

The studio has been developing a Venom spinoff film for awhile after the character of Eddie Brock appeared in Spider-Man 3 played by Topher Grace. The Hunger Games director Gary Ross was attached to the film for awhile before moving on.

The plan is reportedly to hire a new writer to pen a new Venom screenplay and to have a different actor other than Grace play the role next time around.

There's also no word on whether or not the character would fit into the rebooted universe of The Amazing Spider-Man, but it would seem reasonable to assume that it will.

That sounds lovely.

I never thought I'd say something like the following statement, but I've been catching up on the book lately.

May I humbly suggest that instead of Brock the presence of one Eugene "Flash" Thompson?

You're probably right that it would never happen, is it the same as Reilly though? It hasn't taken long, but Flash is Venom to me now. Hopefully for many years to come. It's a more interesting dynamic than Brock had.

Edited by Thelogan

Brock had his own dynamic but he didn't have the whole "without the symbiote I have no legs" thing going for him. But Brock has the Anti-Venom thing going on now, which I think works far better for him and Flash isn't just a waste of two characters like having Gargan in the suit was.

Agreed on all counts. Flash and Venom need each other. Their relationship is...well, symbiotic. Or, at least, I hope they make peace and it will be someday.

It's just that you could replace "shady military black-ops guy" with Nick Fury. Pretend Topher never happened. Add some warzone acrobatic shooting for that crowd. Throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato. Baby, you've got a blockbuster going.

I understand everything everyone is saying. The character of Venom is stronger because of how he is written now. He's better. But why... why does it have to be... be Flash?

I know the character wasn't doing anything, but it still seems weird to me. AND I'm enjoying the new title! I understand Brock had run his course with the sybiote. I'm ok with it NOT being Brock, but why Flash Thompson?

I'm part of the thinking that believes supporting characters should stay that sometimes. Supporting. It's why the show Heroes went under (Jeph Loeb helped). Once the supporting characters gained "powers" it got stupid.

As far as a movie would go, yeah, absolutely no reason for it to be Flash. Any paraplegic vet will be fine.

As far as the book goes, the option would have been to make a new character or take this one that's been sitting around in Spidey books being pointless for 40+ years. It works, and him having history with Spidey and Pete make for some interesting interactions that we wouldn't get otherwise.

You know, reading the original comics currently, I can see shades of the man Flash will become as far back as like Issue 9. He's a little dickshit but he has a warped sense of honor and he's the only character who never backs down on his support of Spider-Man no matter what. Hell aside from Peter, he and Jameson are the only characters who go beyond having one dimensional character quirks for like the first 3 years. (Liz Allen is a bubbleheaded waste of space, Aunt May may have alzheimers, Betty Brant is a weak fragile woman creature whose thoughts can't seem to wander beyond her love life, Harry Osbourne is a douche without any of the redeeming qualities, and Gwen Stacy is a humongous slut)

tumble.jpg

on the comics note: i absolutely get panch's apprehensions (it's a weird call, putting it on Flash) but baytor was right, even with the fun Dark Avengers was, Gargan-symbiote never really went anywhere. they've finally got something resembling a plan for Brock, and i'm down for them trying the suit on someone else. i only read the first few issues of the pairing but it wasn't as jarring as i'dve expected, at least.

As far as Brock goes, in hindsight it seems pretty clear that Anti-Venom was custom built to be a plot device in Spider Island. I mean, a guy that can take away spider powers? There aren't many opportunities to let that shine. It's a tad specific. It's like having the mutant ability to absorb the impact of giant green fists.

I don't really know what they're gonna do with him from here. I also haven't read all of Spider Island yet, so that may have already been answered. I do like the guy, I just fear for his future one his blatantly engineered existence has filled it's purpose.

Oh, and another +1 for Gargan-Symbiote being stupid. I think someone just thought "Scorpion Venom" was a clever contraction and it went too far.

No, it looks like a really good mask, but it does not look like that's something real face. You tell me that's a Green Goblin costume, and I'm impressed. You tell me that is appearing in a movie as a real goblin, and I'm going to say "are you serious? That's a fucking mask."

Anti-Venom's abilities are a bit more specific than that. He can basically remove the toxicity from anything, cure drug addicts of their addictions, the first time the symbiote tried to re-bond with him the anti-venom suit hurt it (I don't know why it didn't the second time) the removing spider powers thing was just one of the higher limits of his powers, basically he removed the radiation from Parker's blood. Theoretically he could use that against anybody whose power was caused by raditation: so basically just Spider-Man, The Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Radioactive Man, The Sentry, Daredevil, arguably maybe even Captain America. Also he has all the abilities the symbiote afforded him in addition.

As for the Goblin mask, it looks great, it's supposed to look like a mask.

Wait, wouldn't that mean he could rid Thing of his powers? Or is that something the Thing even wants anymore?

See, Anti-Venom is one of those things like Ghost Rider or The Hulk that could totally fix everything for everybody but just happens to be incapacitated or out of town when he's needed. Like during the last Ghost Rider book in those two pointless World War Hulk tie-in issues when even Dr. Strange admitted that he could basically wipe his ass with The Green Scar and still be home in time for Jeopardy but he couldn't because the Spirit of Vengeance didn't "want to."

The 2008 story "New Ways to Die" features the return of Brock. Matt Murdock convinces a court of law that Brock is not responsible for his actions while bonded to the symbiote and has criminal charges against him dropped.[79] Brock gets a job at a soup kitchen under Martin Li. Brock's is unknownly cured of his cancer by Li, who possesses special abilities, and Brock believes it to be a miracle.[79] After Brock is attacked by the new Venom, Mac Gargan, the symbiote attempts to reunite with Brock. Brock's skin becomes caustic to the symbiote, and he is enveloped in a new white symbiote forged from the remnants of the Venom symbiote in his body bonding with his white blood cells charged with Li's healing energy,[79] becoming Anti-Venom. Brock defeats Gargan and nearly kills the Venom symbiote. When Brock detects remnants of the symbiote inside Spider-Man, he attempts to "cure" him, draining radiation from his body and nearly de-powering him.[80] While later saving Spider-Man from Norman Osborn, Brock again fights a battle-suit enhanced Gargan and the recovering symbiote.[81][82] Gargan hits Anti-Venom with his stinger, injecting a poisonous formula that seemingly destroys Brock's suit. When Gargan attempts to kill Brock, the Venom symbiote stops him. Brock's anti-Venom suit later reforms.[82]

Brock later faces the villain Mister Negative and discovers that he and Li are the same person. Learning that the man he idolized is a supervillain causes a breakdown for Brock, making him question his faith and become unstable, referring to himself as a monster.[83] In "The Return of Anti-Venom" (2011), Brock is unable to expose Negative's true identity, believing no-one will trust him. Anti-Venom starts a crusade against Negative, attacking his criminal operations.[84] When Anti-Venom realizes that May Parker also knows Negative's identity, he decides to attack Negative directly before Negative can silence her.[84] Brock teams up with Spider-Man and the new Wraith to fight Negative. Wraith uses her technology to publicly reveal Mister Negative is Martin Li, sending him into hiding. Spider-Man and Anti-Venom call a truce to their rivalry.[85]

In a 2011 New Avengers storyline, Brock joins Wonder Man's Revengers to destroy the New Avengers.[86] During the 2011 Spider-Island event in which 99% of New York City's population are transformed into mind-controlled spiders, Brock is forced to sacrifice his suit—and being Anti-Venom—so that it can be converted into a powerful curative capable of healing the infected millions.[87][88][89]