Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

The NZA

well yeah

they've been painted into that corner for years now though, haven't they? zombies as background etc, only change was (as you said) herd control. the cycle remains: this civilization just = bigger rug to pull out from under the reader, potentially.

i mean, "SciFi post apocalyptic book about feudal politics and the scary is all gone", that's been the M.O. for like ever now...i get that's your point, but

a) maybe those aren't negan's people?

b) where could you really see smart zombie who talks/cuts things going, though?

It brings back the danger of the zombies. I mean, in any case I don't really see much life in this series from this point forward anyway and yeah, maybe it's not Negan's people but it's another group of asshole humans that are going to try and kill Rick and the gang (and this time probably succeed) and yeah, it hasn't been scary since Rick figured out they actually stood a fighting chance (though I would say the actual appearance of Negan was when all the scary ran out). Talkers would've given the old lion some teeth, and yeah it's a temporary thrill at best I feel we could've gotten maybe 15-20 issues out of that new threat. The problem is Kirkman solves his problems too easily, he really stretched out the Negan thing but most of the time shit comes up roses even though we lose a beloved character or two. If they really want to commit to this whole "Man is the REAL Walking Dead" thing they seem to be going for then I'll accept the masked men as some ultra-survivalist religious cult shit, that could be good for some kicks, but they just seem to be your run of the mill thugs with guns and those are even more tired than the zombies at this point.

• 5 months later...

Caught up. I think it's moving slower than it is... but still let's get the ball rolling a little faster.

I kinda hope this is how Negan is for the rest of his time in the book. Just hoping he can get out somehow, but just keeps getting shot down and put in his place. I know they are setting something up with him though, I just hope it's not some shitty forced team up with Rick or something.

Also

Concerning the Whisperers, I'm 50/50 on how that played out. Before I read these issues I did read the spoilers above and knew something about the.. ahem.. talking dead. My initial reaction was "oh fuck no, I'm glad that didn't pan out. However... after seeing how it happened I dunno. I think Baytor called the ultra survivalist stuff, and I'm cool with that, but if the zombie WERE actually talking? I think I would have bought it if instead of gaining actual intelligence they were mimicking or something. Maybe a little bit of intelligence that way. It would have been creepy. I just wouldn't have wanted zombies who were "reborn" or something and gained full functionality. /ramble

Edited by Axels

Issue 138's ending...

Let the solo adventures of a one-eyed adolescent in the zombpocalypse begin. It's got a lame Romeo & Juliette vibe to it, but I'm guessing the eye-hole licking chick and/or Alpha bite it by the end of the arc.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 3 months later...

...anyone still reading? # 144 was brutal

so, things finally went down with the new group - lost a handful of members you needed to be reminded who they were, but there's 2 big names there at the end of the fence...yikes

So did everybody else breath a sigh of relief when that black dread was revealed to be grey? If Michonne had gone out off page...that would have been amazing though, actually.

That was insane and all, I just find that except for Negan and Jesus, I don't really care about any post prison/Eugene (Abraham and Rosita are gone) character. Oh Olivia is dead? Oh no, who'll discuss cereal with them now? I also just struggle to remember who characters are. Is that just me?

yeah, i liked dude, but i was worried it'd be someone worse. rosita stung, though...

and no, i mean that's the joke, right? we had to have a quick recap on each head to remember who some of these folks are; ensemble casts are one thing, but these towns are massive.

i'm assuming this is the prelude to the inevitable culling: the formula this whole book has been: find safety (better than last place) > pull rug out from under the crew, wiping out a few big names & mostly ones you don't know/care > flee & struggle to rebuild, then repeat

...so all the quiet town fair stuff we've been seeing reeks of just building on a larger scale - now here's legendary gaurdian rick, going back with a new thread & loved ones lost, and (enough of) the soft citizens are gonna wanna take on queen zombie's hordes & lose everything. or? i dunno, neegan or another wild card gets out to start shit against their will anyway.

could totally be wrong of course; the book's thrown me a few curveballs over the years

I like the new "baddie" in Alpha. She's got a philosophy on the post zombpocalypse world that is fundamentally different from Rick. The Gov. & Negan all had similar views to Rick in at least they were trying to rebuild communities or some semblance of a society.

Also, I wonder if the shit is going to hit the fan in issue 150 or if Kirkman is again going to throw a wrench into fan expectations by not having the "twist" moment happen in the "big" issue.

As for issue #144...

I totally agree with ASC & NZA, aside form Ezekiel and Rosita, I had no idea who those other characters were. And post Abraham/Eugene/Rosita there's really only been Negan, Jesus, Dwight, and now Alpha that stick in my memory. Ironic that Eugene is the sole survivor from that trio. And wasn't Rosita pregnant? Fuck. Eugene is either going to go Commando or just become useless. I'm leaning more towards the latter, but you never know how tragedy will ultimately effect people.

Speaking of new characters, Kirkman introduced this "new" group with the time jump then kind of forgot about them, and so have I. I couldn't really tell you one name form that group. Carl's freakshow of a girlfriend is interesting though, and I wonder how all this is going to play out. The Whisperers initially seemed like a mediocre plot at best, but Kirkman has really built it all up to an interesting point in the series. Will Nza's theory be correct and this massive uber-horde wipe out Alexandria thus restarting the cycle of rebuilding? I'm guessing likely. The Hilltop or Dwight's crew will maybe absorb the survivors or maybe they'll rebuild Alexandria. I'm definitely curious to see where it all leads.

• 7 months later...

I'm all fucked up reading this

forgetting that Carol is dead and Sophia is alive in this continuity. I'm interested to see where Negan goes in all of this, almost looks like he is on the path toward redemption... in some form. That or maybe an unceremonious murder at the hands of the Whisperers. Seems like a Kirkman thing to do no?

that's literally my guess, yeah

he & the shit hillbilly kid live just love enough to ruin rick's preemptive strike, thereby undoing all the good that's been done forever now/thinning out the cast while making rick's pseudo-transition to the governor feel full circle

honestly, ive no idea where it goes next...ive said this forever now, but i wouldn't be surprised if rick doesn't survive this next big arc

hmm

i mean, he seemed to be developing/maybe changing? by not acting out when he had the chance prior, its almost like he'd started to believe in something better before Rick ganked him & i feel there's been moments of that, so while i think it sounds cool here i don't know that i'd go for it - particularly if we just get stuck recycling villains. i feel like negan's time is over.

what i'm betting on is Alpha getting got - maybe by negan like you said, maybe rick's people, maybe one of her own when it's proven she can't rule like they want - and rick realizing what a fucking nightmare her camp is like, especially now when they're off the leash or run by someone legitimately worse. this is a woman who literally let her daughter go (from what was heavily implied to be a society freely raping her) & seemed to have taken out a few of rick's people in hopes that they'd never cross paths again, for the benefit of either camp. i could be reading that all wrong, but i thought it pretty overt that alpha's barely holding onto something absolutely monstrous.

Interesting. The thought didn't cross my mind that...

this escape by Negan could herald his ultimate demise--either in death or as a "villain." I think that Kirkman believes Negan is basically Rick's Lex Luthor/Joker. You don't kill off that character. But maybe it's Alpha's turn for the spotlight and glorious demise? Could be, but I still put my money on this being a long set up for a Negan led Whisperers attack. Not much money though. Like, $5.

• 4 weeks later...

Damn. I gotta wait another three issues for that shit to get under way? I was hoping that encounter would take place in the next issue, #134.

I guess we'll check in on Carl and his Whisper GF next issue then. Also, we all saw that coming with Negan killing the kid, right? That shouldn't have been a shocker for anyone.

yeah, you almost felt bad...but not really

wondering what neegan's plan is here, he's not all that stupid but i don't know how much he knows about the whisperers, or how to not get them to behead you. also, why exactly did Rick keep his jacket about? for that matter, i have no idea why Lucille is still around, but i'm just waiting for dude to fuck up & carry it on him around Maggie...

yeah, you almost felt bad...but not really

wondering what neegan's plan is here, he's not all that stupid but i don't know how much he knows about the whisperers, or how to not get them to behead you. also, why exactly did Rick keep his jacket about? for that matter, i have no idea why Lucille is still around, but i'm just waiting for dude to fuck up & carry it on him around Maggie...

Yes, total "WTF? Why!?!?" in regards to both of those objects still being around.

Kirkman mentions in the letters column that Negan is "completely crazy," so who the fuck knows what's gonna go down. My money is on an eventual double cross of the Whispers to destroy them as a threat so he can take over his old compound. It seems this is what Kirkman is setting up since now there is a power vacuum there since Dwight quit. Kirkman seems to be wanting to play Negan as the Joker to Rick's Batman. We'll see how well that analogy goes with this storyline.

I'm also wondering if Negan's escape/return means another "big" character gets taken down by Lucille. Maybe Rick? Maybe Dary--nevermind. Wrong TWD.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

man, i really gotta read the letters section more often, i mostly only do that with bendis these days (you should too if you get a chance, he loves recommending movies/shows)

i get that though, he comes off crazy as fuck but he did keep his people under control, and he has these moments of clarity when talking strategery with Rick. I also think you're right about him double-crossing them - the hype is him wanting to burn it all down (like that kid thought), but he clearly doesn't want that...this is the same guy in the last year or so who could've escaped, but didn't. he also gave a genuine smile hearing rick amp up the troops...hell, looking back, he seemed to wholesale buy into Rick's vision right before getting taken down.

starting to think you're really onto something here - if he delivers the intel/whatever to turn the tide when the whisperers inevitably release holy hell on alexandria/the hilltop/etc and ends up coming off the hero (like he clearly wants), maybe he could get that or some other post & be released, just to stay a thorn in rick's side. again though, if it does go down that way? i need to see maggie's reaction, that last fight she had with rick would be nothing compared to this proposition

man, i really gotta read the letters section more often, i mostly only do that with bendis these days (you should too if you get a chance, he loves recommending movies/shows)

i get that though, he comes off crazy as fuck but he did keep his people under control, and he has these moments of clarity when talking strategery with Rick. I also think you're right about him double-crossing them - the hype is him wanting to burn it all down (like that kid thought), but he clearly doesn't want that...this is the same guy in the last year or so who could've escaped, but didn't. he also gave a genuine smile hearing rick amp up the troops...hell, looking back, he seemed to wholesale buy into Rick's vision right before getting taken down.

starting to think you're really onto something here - if he delivers the intel/whatever to turn the tide when the whisperers inevitably release holy hell on alexandria/the hilltop/etc and ends up coming off the hero (like he clearly wants), maybe he could get that or some other post & be released, just to stay a thorn in rick's side. again though, if it does go down that way? i need to see maggie's reaction, that last fight she had with rick would be nothing compared to this proposition

Truth be told, I haven't read a Bendis comic, let alone one of his letter columns, in a while. I think the last thing of his I read was the Secret Wars Old Man Logan mini. But I do remember from back in the day his indie stuff always had great letter columns. BKV's letter column in SAGA​ is probably my current favorite.

And Maggie's reaction to Negan escaping completely slipped my mind. Her hasty execution of Gregory after his attempt on her life certainly does set it up for her having a potentially deadly encounter with Negan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

That was a decent read, Panch. And I had zero recollection of Rick ever mentioning a brother or any other sibling in the comic.

Just read issue #156 and all I gotta say is : daaaaaaaaaaamn! Great glimpse inside the inner workings of the Whisperers camp and dat ending!

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 1 month later...