Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

The NZA

thought everyone knew louisiana's state song is historically about making lovers out of your family

I figured it would be something disparaging about the blacks, or something in French.

From now on when somebody brings me something I am going to ask them if they treated it like a lady, and then ask if they ate its pussy like a lady and just glare.

Edited by Iambaytor
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Issue 106

This was another solid single issue. Kirkman, you evil genius...

DAMNIT! I have to wait another month to see what Negan does to Carl yet I don't feel cheated or like it was an unnecessary delay. The whole issue flowed very nicely. Even the inter-cuts w/ the "B-list" characters were interesting. And after the set-up for "stroming the castle," meeting Negan on the road was a great twist.

Kirkman is bringing his A-game w/ this arc thus far. I'd say the last three issues especially were all very solid. Maybe writing for TV has helped him improve in making each issue more episodic.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Negan has got to be the most casually terrifying bad guy I've ever seen in anything, ever. He has a sort of easy-going malevolence that shatters all my preconceptions about -paths, be they socio-, psycho- or otherwise. He doesn't even come off as standard evil. Just the Biggest Dickhead In The Universe.

His demise will have to be directly proportionate to just how much of a dick he is. I expect big things.

Well it seems it's building towards something. The true wonder of this book is it never ceases to surprise me so I'm reluctant to even guess what could happen.

You could be right though. Perhaps Negan could become a looming, long-term threat if that's what you mean. That would be a bit of departure though as Kirkman seems to like nicely encapsulated arcs punctuated with periodic rug-pulling.

again, if he bites it this arc...it'll be kinda wasted, i think. unless kirkman's playing a long game of showing how bad some of the people he had under control were, which is also possible.

the thing with Carl last week though..i guess that might force the issue

You could be right though. Perhaps Negan could become a looming, long-term threat if that's what you mean. That would be a bit of departure though as Kirkman seems to like nicely encapsulated arcs punctuated with periodic rug-pulling.

What's all this "you could be right" and "if that's what you mean" talk? You mentioned his "demise," and I was just curious if you thought it was imminent. At this point, this book has thrown me for such a loop, I can't even say with any confidence that Carl is alive. The reveal could very well be that he's handing over to Rick a dead body. I don't think that's likely, but I can't even be sure anymore.

The Governor was around for 22 issues, and Negan was first mentioned in issue 95 and first appeared in issue 100, so if they are trying to build up an antagonist that would live up to the Governor's legacy, it would make sense to keep him around a while longer, but it also seems like, storywise, something is going to have to give, and sooner rather than later.

Kirkman is truly a master of his craft when he has you dying to know in what way a giant asshole has harmed a 10 year old boy. I know it's been said to death at this stage but I have no fucking clue what could happen next issue.

I was pondering what could possibly happen to Negan and it doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility that he could encounter resistance from within his own camp. He controls through an intricate web of fear and violence. We've already gotten hints that the previously "ironed" partners of his "wives" still harbour a lot of bitterness. How could they not? You steal my girlfriend then burn half my face off? I think Rick and Co will be the spark that gives all his inner enemies the confidence to stand up to him.

Only two more issues in this current arc? Huh...

My guess is next issue is spent w/ Rick "dealing" w/ Carl's dumb haircut (Logan called that one nicely.) and then the final issue in the arc is either Iron Face somehow contacting Rick's crew to overthrow Negan OR Iron Face overthrowing Negan and taking over. Either way, the next arc will likely be "Act 2" in this Negan saga.

Wouldn't matter w/ TWD, crim. It's not a Preacher or Y: The Last Man with a set end in sight. Kirkman has pretty much said he'll be writing this book on his death bed.

Is there any history or precedent on creator-owned titles being continued after the death of the creator-owner? I guessing the inheritor(s) of Kirkman's estate could hire anyone one they'd want to write the book.

Cue the joke answers about Zombie Kirkman writing the book from beyond the grave....