Hondo's Bar

Y: The Last Man

The NZA

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice find Boogie!! :worship: for that and just having you around again.

I have the entire series barring the newly-released 'Whys & Wherefores' in trade & about half the series in singles. Looking very forward to the HCs though, and hopefully this'll prompt DC to get on the stick with some decent Preacher treatment.

Nick- What's in the Punisher Omnibus? Max or Knights?

do...do ye actually buy hardcover versions of tpb's you already have? :blink:

the only way i'd buy a hardcover is if it was the only version available, not only is it more expensive, it's actually harder to read a hardcover, you can't open the book as much as a regular tpb so you miss the inside of each page.

i only have two hardcover's and wish they were regular editions.

they're a waste of money in my opinion.

eh, it depends.

for a lot of extras - like the Absolute editions - yes, and also for my favoritest of books, cause i like the library look/feel. i admit the oversized ones dont read as easily as some softcovers, but take a look at Ultimates in HC and the big, glossy pages do more justice to the art. Same for Hellboy so far.

so yeah, depends on the series. Id not sell mine & buy back the HC's on most any series unless they got some good extras, though.

Skeet, the Punisher Omnibus is from the Knights ones. That's why Im gonna buy as soon as its released.

and yes I prefer HCs most of the time. They're just great. Glossy pages, extra material... and they can last for many generations :2T:

Im not totally back yet... Just a couple of days more...

Nope, it's all Knights -that crappy arc in between the ennis Dillon run where the punisher travelled back to the 30's with Nick Fury + Punisher kills the Marvel U(only ever heard about, wanted to read so badly) + Double Shot #1(whatever that is). In short, It's all the punshier I could ever want between Welcome Back Frank & the return of the Russian!!

"What you going to do when Spiderman's head falls off? You want me to wait while you go find Captain America Big Boy?

• 4 weeks later...

When I was growing up, I likes to read comic books. I lked all the movies based on comic books, for some reason as I got older I thought comic books were for kids. I never understood why grown people read them. Now as of late I have been reading more comic books, thanks to a good friend. Now that I'm older I think I understand them way better now than I did when I was a kid.

I just read Y The Last Man, and I'm going to tell you it was one of the best things I have ever read. It really pulled me in and me think about a lot of things... inspired me to one to write or do something like that. I have been very uninspired these days not knowing what I want to do with my life. I think it would be cool as hell to write comic books. Even though comic writers are pretty low on the list of writers. Y The Last Man made me feel good about art again and it was the first time in a long time that I felt really close to a group pf characters.

So in closing Y The last Man is one of my new favorite books ever!!!

• 8 months later...

So yeah, reviving this thread for anyone new who wants to discuss Y, CO-HAJUKIN-UGH. Maybe anyone who wasn't satisfied with the ending? I personally think it was flawless. A great approach you don't often see that, while still leaving a question mark, dotted all I's & crossed all T's.

• 2 months later...

So, I'm a few months late in noticing JZA's post. Better late than never. It's been a while since I finished the series, obviously, and I'm fuzzy on the details now. I just remember it being kind of a meh ending.

I liked how he time-jumped fwd in the last issue though to give a better resolution to Yorrick. BKV never truly explained what caused the male near-extinction either, did he?

And the character of Yorrick in general throughout the series always came off as a bit too "sensitive 90s male" for me.

that's funny; skeet & I usually have to battle ASC & others on the wonder that is Preacher's ending, again id not heard dismay at Y's prior, thought it was one of the better endings id seen.

the jumping forward was ironed out & got to show a worn-in Yorrick ready to let it all go escape to another adventure, while tying up some fun 355 backstory, what became of Y's sister and bitch-ass Beth, etc. honestly, the bit with Ampersand damn near got me misty.

now, the character of Yorrick itself is something else: i can see where you'd say that (its an issue for me in many other formats, im not a fan of most Woody Allen pieces as a result) but with Yorrick, he really seemed to grow as the series went on, and when you really get down to it, true character growth is a bit've rarity for me in comics. I distinctly remember thinking by the end of the "Safeword" arc, he wasnt the same guy that started this journey. i rather liked that.

Finally finished this, the ending didn't feel right to me. I know full well that that was really the only way it could end but it still felt like something was missing. Though I guess that was kind of what Vaughn was going for. Kinda makes me scared to see the end of Ex Machina now.

So, I'm a few months late in noticing JZA's post. Better late than never. It's been a while since I finished the series, obviously, and I'm fuzzy on the details now. I just remember it being kind of a meh ending.

I liked how he time-jumped fwd in the last issue though to give a better resolution to Yorrick. BKV never truly explained what caused the male near-extinction either, did he?

And the character of Yorrick in general throughout the series always came off as a bit too "sensitive 90s male" for me.

Really? I'm generally a lot more adverse to the idea of SNAG's and therefore, will cry foul earlier than most(to wit, you smack of it based on your views on cheating, IMO) but I didn't get a whiff of that in Yorick. Guy starts out as a well-meaning joker like any of us here I could care to name. Hell, you don't even field his true reaction to the plague until the aforementioned Safeword arc. Sure he lets out that he's a poor at coping with this kinda stuff(he mentions 9/11 at some point), but aside from pining after Beth and not fucking every girl he sees, I don't get how he's anymore sensetive than your average, cool guy. With regards to the plague, two definitive(or as close to) possibilities are volunteered. I can dig that the uncertainty will promote discussion about the series in years to come, whereas once you've talked about the ending, Vampire survivability vs that of certain Judeo-Christian deities, and maybe the lost Sex detectives story, there's not a lot to talk about with Preacher other than favourite moments. Point being, open endings hold just as much merit as anything more conclusive, but that's probably a different discussion.
Finally finished this, the ending didn't feel right to me. I know full well that that was really the only way it could end but it still felt like something was missing. Though I guess that was kind of what Vaughn was going for. Kinda makes me scared to see the end of Ex Machina now.
Only thing missing was the fact that you hadn't started hating on it yet. Mission accomplished. ^_^

Nah, not hating, just projecting my vague disappointment. I feel like something was missing but I'll be damned if I can figure out what it was. It wasn't an explanation or you-know-who living. I don't know, I guess maybe I could've done without the future thing?

I did find the whole Beth/Hero pairing to be random and out of fucking nowhere and I wished they would have shown more of these adventures that Yorrick keeps alluding to, but that's really the only 2 things I really "hated" about the book.

As for fearing the end of Ex Machina, I'm not afraid of it because I feel Y's ending was weak, I'm afraid of it because I figure Hundred is all sorts of fucked right now. I fear for Mitchell Hundred as much as I did Animal Man circa-Grant Morrison

good points, jay. mebbe these punks'd respect a solid ending more if theydve read 100 Bullets, as well. ^_^

felt like most bases were covered -

were you hoping for something more climactic with the isreali army or wha?

also, as its going on, Ex Machina might be drama/social commentary but the plot lingering in the background is growing darker and darker. i personally dont see it ending well.

No, it wasn't really even the Israeli army, that ending was fine with me. In fact I don't think we really needed a "final boss" to cap off the series, at that point in the story I was more done with Alter than I was with Starr in the penultimate issue of Preacher.

I guess maybe my problem is that

we fade out on Yorrick having a nervous breakdown in front of a fountain and then we flash to him as a crazy old man in a straight jacket surrounded by monkeys. I think if they'd shown the story tie-ups and then gave a somewhat ambigous ending of Yorrick walking off into the sunset Man-With-No-Name style with only vague hints of human extinction resolution rather than clone Yorricks and President Beth Jr. I would've appreciated more. Though I guess Vaughn's intention was to make you feel unfulfilled by the time it ended and that's the poin

t.

Baytor- I know what you mean about the pairing.

Just seems too convenient, no? An apologist might say that Yorick & Hero, growing up together as they did may develop similar interests in the fairer sex, then go on to point out that both parties are in Yorrick;s shitlist for varied but similar reasons. One might go further to point out that Beth sought Hero being that too late she realised she wanted Yorrick, and Hero's the next best thing and as for Hero- she's not getting any clone action since it's all her brother so refer back to first point.

An Apologist might say that. Not me though. *cough*

Really? I'm generally a lot more adverse to the idea of SNAG's and therefore, will cry foul earlier than most(to wit, you smack of it based on your views on cheating, IMO) but I didn't get a whiff of that in Yorick. Guy starts out as a well-meaning joker like any of us here I could care to name. Hell, you don't even field his true reaction to the plague until the aforementioned Safeword arc. Sure he lets out that he's a poor at coping with this kinda stuff(he mentions 9/11 at some point), but aside from pining after Beth and not fucking every girl he sees, I don't get how he's anymore sensetive than your average, cool guy. With regards to the plague, two definitive(or as close to) possibilities are volunteered. I can dig that the uncertainty will promote discussion about the series in years to come, whereas once you've talked about the ending, Vampire survivability vs that of certain Judeo-Christian deities, and maybe the lost Sex detectives story, there's not a lot to talk about with Preacher other than favourite moments. Point being, open endings hold just as much merit as anything more conclusive, but that's probably a different discussion.

Can you refresh my memory on what those two things were? One had something to do with the Japanese chick's

dad, right? That whole arc after the Oz submarine where the fem-ninja takes him back to the cloning day-care was

really boring to me. I remember actually not reading the series during that arc. I picked back up there and read it to the end when the last issue came out.

As for him being the sensitive 90s type, borderline douchebag at times--that all came to a head in the arc where he discovered

Beth then realized w/in one fucking issue she wasn't right for him. FTW!!?? I could maybe by that if he'd only been searching for her for months or maybe even a year. But if his love for her was truly the kind of love that'd keep him faithful for YEARS amidst a never ending supply of one-night stands not to mention him suppressing his feelings for 355 (Culper Ring Bodyguard) I don't think it would end that way. Having them break up makes for a great twist and segues nicely into the revealing of Y's and 355's mutual feelings.

However, stringing readers on for years like that and ending it that way w/ those 2 women felt gimmicky to me.

I'm saying if that was truly his feelings about Beth & 355 I think he would've realized it MUCH sooner and acted upon it.

That doesn't really contrast w/ my views on cheating--and this is a much different situation than the one we were discussing in that thread.

You're still a big girl's blouse when it comes to cheating, but moving onward. The two theories were

the birth of the first Human Clone releasing a plague killing all the males- submitted as an ethereal punishment or planetary failsafe depending on who you talk to

. The second wghich makes more sense but isn't really given proper presentation is

The culper ring releasing an biological agent over Asia that was intended to kill the men & 'nueter' China to thin it out a little, went crazy & created a worldwide event. You'd think a black ops organisation would anticipate something like that though...

I don't mean to be a cunt here Hakujin, but without reading the series in it's entirety I dunno that you're qualified to make more than ill-considered angry noises in Y's general direction. Much the same as I do toward the Wanted Movie. If you have no intention of finishing the series that's cool, but the Japan arc with (and how do you not know their names? There's like 3 primary characters- it's like saying that baldy one-eyed guy in Preacher)

Dr Mann's father

is integral for character development of Mann as well as the story. I felt like easily the least likeable character of that story(with the exception of Beth1) had her moment to shine, and she did it well.

As for the ending with the women, I thought Altair's final stand was a little weak(the stand was great, but what I recall of Alter's final speech or w/e was pretty shit), the conclusion with

355, Beths 1 & 2, was the only way it could be. It was pure speculation but I got the vibe from the first issue that Beth was about to break up with Yorick, and it wasn't until well-late in the series I picked up on the genuine tension/comeraderie between 355 & 'Rick(all the little moments in between where they profess love for eachother half-asleep or in the heat of the moment were just shitty little distractions), it'd be weird to see them together without any kind of agenda, so as sad as it is, 355 pretty much had to go. I was sad as all get out when 'Rick left Beth 2 in Cali, and overjoyed(like LOL overjoyed) when Hero found her up the duff. It made sense that even in this crazy post-event world the two would try to carve some convention out of it. As Nick said- true character development is hard to come by in most mediums these days, but you see Yorick mature through the series, and it's only at a couple of key moments you realise how far he's come(without simply comparing #1 to #60)- for me it was the Arizona arc.

Archived