Hondo's Bar

New Trailers

Super looks better than Defendor and maybe even better than Kick-Ass. Given James Gunn's love of splatstick humor and the fact that nearly the entire cast of Slither is in it, I'm feeling good about this. From the few glimpses I've seen it looks like Nathan Fillion plays some sort of Christian-friendly real-life superhero and Michael Rooker/Kevin Bacon is a bad guy combination that can't be beat. I also really want to see Ellen Page in a Stephanie Brown Robin costume now.

The difference though, from what I've gathered, is that Rain Wilson's character is neither a downtrodden comic book geek or an average joe wanting to make a difference. He's a whiny loser whose wife dumps him so he puts on a costume based on his own selfish desires and rights the things he sees as wrong (an early promo had him braining a guy with a wrench for cutting in line.) I see this being the Observe and Report to Defendor's Paul Blart (I mean that tonally, I don't think Defendor was as bad as Paul Blart)

The difference though, from what I've gathered, is that Rain Wilson's character is neither a downtrodden comic book geek or an average joe wanting to make a difference. He's a whiny loser whose wife dumps him so he puts on a costume based on his own selfish desires and rights the things he sees as wrong (an early promo had him braining a guy with a wrench for cutting in line.) I see this being the Observe and Report to Defendor's Paul Blart (I mean that tonally, I don't think Defendor was as bad as Paul Blart)

Because I'm not very clear on your ramblings observation, can I ask just one question? Have you seen Defendor? Yes or no will suffice.

Dylan Dog.

Really?

That's a fucking terrible name. Anyway, I'll definitely give this film a look on video as it's a clear Constantine knock-off, and I loved that film. Also, it's set in NOLA, and I'm always curious to see how it's depicted on film.

Dylan Dog is based on a long-running Italian horror comic series of the same name. The comic series is set in contemporary London and came out at the same time as Constantine in the mid-80s.

Yeah if anything, John Constantine is a Dylan Dog rip-off. Actually... come to think of it he's really the same character with a different hairstyle (well, Dylan isn't bisexual and he's a bit less of a dick, but only marginally) I'd blame Alan Moore but he barely had anything to do with the character other than come up with him.

Edited by Iambaytor

Yeah if anything, John Constantine is a Dylan Dog rip-off. Actually... come to think of it he's really the same character with a different hairstyle (well, Dylan isn't bisexual and he's a bit less of a dick, but only marginally) I'd blame Alan Moore but he barely had anything to do with the character other than come up with him.

Working off the wikis of both, it would seem that Constantine was created first as a recurring for Swamp Thing in'85 and Dylan Dog was created less than a year later in '86 and was serialized; meanwhile Constantine didn't get Hellblazer until over a year later in '88. Also, while the movie wasn't bad it didn't focus on the fact that Constantine is a practicing hedge mage as well as an investigator (he's tantra sex partners with Zatanna and all that...) while Dylan Dog is specifically stated to be a normal human private detective specializing in the supernatural.

On the Hondo's page for Ratatouille, only one person disliked the flick, and among critics there was even less dissent. You don't have too much company in this boat.

Well, Jax, I think I'll need a bigger boat than you anticipated. Out of the 11 films Pixar has released, Ratatouille has grossed the least amount of money domestically. Technically, Toy Story & A Bug's Life grossed less money at the box office, but those films came out over a decade before Ratatoullie and if you factor in inflation then it's really clear the rat cook flick was a "miss" by Pixar's usual standards. :2T:

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Well, Jax, I think I'll need a bigger boat than you anticipated. Out of the 11 films Pixar has released, Ratatouille has grossed the least amount of money domestically. Technically, Toy Story & A Bug's Life grossed less money at the box office, but those films came out over a decade before Ratatoullie and if you factor in inflation then it's really clear the rat cook flick was a "miss" by Pixar's usual standards. :2T:

And in worldwide gross it's their 5th highest grossing film, only $10 million short of being their 4th highest. In the US it was released against heavy hitting competition in Transformers and Harry Potter and it had a name most Americans couldn't pronounce and featured a main character that is an animal most people find repulsive in the one place they least want to see one, in a kitchen. And it doesn't change the fact that despite being one of Pixar's weaker performers in the US, it was the 11th highest grossing film of the year, 6th highest worldwide, and 2nd highest grossing animated film of that year. And it is 96% on Rotten Tomatoes and 96 on Metacritic. Ratatouille was a hit, not a miss.

All fine and dandy, Jax. Yes, the film made money, but by PIXAR STANDARDS -- it was a miss. And by my personal standards, it was also a miss. I just gave you those numbers to quash your snide lil' boat comment. :2T:

Why do people toss out box office numbers like they're a measure of quality? Citizen Kane was a flop and Little Fockers was #1 for like 3 weeks, that's all I'm saying.

b/c Jax needs numbers, and it's the easiest stat to acquire online to support a relatively subjective topic, such as "which film is a 'hit'." just sayin'.

Your argument is pretty solid, but have you even seen Defendor? Super just looks like the redheaded (pun intended) stepchild of Kick-Ass and Defendor.

You guys ought to check out Special if you haven't already, which I'd be very surprised if not. Thought it was better than Defendor actually.

as for keeping on topic :p

Super 8 (JJ Abrams' third film) gets a full-length trailer finally! Plot points revealed!

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqvZMhRB5cE?version=3"><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqvZMhRB5cE?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqvZMhRB5cE?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Scottish Smurf? One of many WTF moments in this smurfing trailer...

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR71RcD-HFU?version=3"><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR71RcD-HFU?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR71RcD-HFU?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Scottish Smurf? One of many WTF moments in this smurfing trailer...

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR71RcD-HFU?version=3"><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR71RcD-HFU?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR71RcD-HFU?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Neil Patrick Harris, why? Why?

One of many WTF moments in this smurfing trailer...

Perhaps 'WTS moments' would be more appropriate. I don't except to see any halfway good movie based on a Hanna-Barbera cartoon. All the ones that have been made are awful and have made money, so why would they change the formula. The Flintstones, Scooby-Doo, Yogi Bear...I thought Alvin and the Chipmunks was Hanna-Barbera, but they're not, but for the sake of my argument, let's say they are, along with Garfield and Marmaduke. According to Wikipedia, there is a Hong Kong Phooey movie (that's actually coming out Dec this year) and a Johnny Quest movie. I could see a Johnny Quest movie being great, but I don't see it having to be great in order to make money, so it probably won't be.

WTSmurf, indeed, Jaxuardo! And don't forget the other horrible "toon to live action films"--George of the Jungle and Underdog. Both of which I thought were HB, but according to wiki are not.

Hong Kong Phooey might actually be good if they could resurrect and/or clone the great Scatman Crothers to voice the part. Ray Parks would of course do the motion capture. Heh..