Hondo's Bar

New Trailers

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="VIvCJ7iskzgFyD" width="550" height="253"><param name="movie" value="http://www.movieweb.com/v/VIvCJ7iskzgFyD"></param><param'>http://www.movieweb.com/v/VIvCJ7iskzgFyD"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.movieweb.com/v/VIvCJ7iskzgFyD" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="550" height="253"></embed></object>

I don't know why there are that many apes in the city. I don't know why they aren't immediately torn asunder by hand grenades and automatic weaponry, or disabled by tear gas. I haven't even seen it and there are already plot holes that can blot out the sun.

But those apes are kicking ass, and I find myself wanting to see this more and more.

I read about KNIGHTS OF BADASSDOM in EW last week and it looked intriguing. That trailer was a bit too spoilerific for my taste, but it did indeed live up to it's title. In fact the only thing it was missing was Bruce Campbell.

I don't know why there are that many apes in the city. I don't know why they aren't immediately torn asunder by hand grenades and automatic weaponry, or disabled by tear gas. I haven't even seen it and there are already plot holes that can blot out the sun.

But those apes are kicking ass, and I find myself wanting to see this more and more.

I'm not watching any more trailer son this as I've already decided I'm watching this and don't want anymore spoilers. However, the previous trailer showed...

Caesar rolling cans of the genius making "Cure . . . to Alzheimer's gas" into the facility where he was being held. So that accounts for the influx of the super-apes/chimps/gorillas.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

I saw the first Apes movie for the first time on a TBS Thanksgiving Apes movie marathon, and I didn't know the twist ending as a kid, despite being exposed to a spoiler in the form of a musical version of Apes starring Troy McClure on The Simpsons. I guess I'd just forgotten it. But are kids making the connection now?

As a side note, this new Apes movie may be good in its own right, but it appears it is retconning Escape from the Planet of the Apes in order to basically reimagine the event in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, but Escape is my favorite Apes film, so I'm kind of upset about it before going in.

Has it really been TEN YEARS since the Tim Burton reboot of Apes? Where does time go? I'm getting old....

Edited by Reverend Jax

This new one is supposed to be starting the whole thing over (assuming it does well) so it's got nothing to do with previous continuity. Which is fine because it had a bigger plot hole than Highlander Endgame. "So monkeys in the future are smart because monkeys FROM the future came back to the past had ONE baby that was used to make other monkeys smart, then the smart monkey led an uprising of the other smart monkeys who had become a staple in households (because human beings love having pets with the same intelligence level as them) that somehow caused some humans to lose their evolutionary abilities to speak or form coherant thoughts and others to become radioactive telekinetic CHUDs?"

The answer if you're wondering, is yes.

Yeah, they're pretty silly films in hindsight.

People in the far flung future of 1999 were using the apes as slaves and menial laborers before they were taught to "be smart". Then they revolted.

I never liked that all it takes is one of their own to show them how to do it, and allofa sudden they're making words and designing architecture and shit. But they're silly films.

The temporal paradox I dug quite a bit, I'm a sucker for that kinda shit. The Gargoyles cartoon had a similar one that I liked as well.

Which is fine because it had a bigger plot hole than Highlander Endgame.

I never said they made sense...

Yeah, they're pretty silly films in hindsight.

...or weren't silly. I said (essentially) that I liked them. Time traveling talking apes becoming global celebrities in a world where apes replace cats and dogs then basically go from being pets to humans...that's good shit.

So it would appear this new continuity they are creating wouldn't require time travel at all. That's pretty lazy writing. Time travel as a plot device is the watermark of any good fiction.

AHaha, I saw that earlier Newt, along with this.

Hollywood Exec #1: We need a new movie.

Hollywood Exec #2: Okay, let's think of one.

Hollywood Exec #1: No, don't be stupid! We need an old one, and we'll just redo it.

Hollywood Exec #2: ...okay... but almost every movie's already been remade at this point, or is being remade.

Hollywood Exec #1: Huh. Are there any TV shows that haven't become movies yet?

Hollywood Exec #2: A few, but they've all been optioned as well.

Hollywood Exec #1: Videogames?

Hollywood Exec #2: Same deal.

Hollywood Exec #1: Dammit. Wait a second!

Hollywood Exec #2: What?

Hollywood Exec #1: Games, that's it!

Hollywood Exec #2: Huh?

Hollywood Exec #1: Board games!

Hollywood Exec #2: What the fuck are you talking about? You can't make a movie out of a board game.

Hollywood Exec #1: Sure you can! All you need to make a movie is a title people know! And people know the name of board games!

Hollywood Exec #2: But board games have no plot.

Hollywood Exec #1: Jesus, are you really a Hollywood executive? Fuck plot! All we need is a name!

Hollywood Exec #2: Fine. So what game?

Hollywood Exec #1: Something action-y... got it! Battleship!

Hollywood Exec #2: Battleship.

Hollywood Exec #1: Yes! I'm brilliant!

Hollywood Exec #2: You're going to make a movie about two kids playing Battleship.

Hollywood Exec #1: No, you fool! I'll make a movie about battleships! Playing Battleship! With battleships!

Hollywood Exec #2: Actually, it's still weird you're doing a movie based on a board game, but that's actually not the worst movie idea--

Hollywood Exec #1: Even better! American battleships versus alien ships! It's a battle for the planet!

Hollywood Exec #2: Wait, where the fuck did the aliens come from?

Hollywood Exec #1: Space, obviously. Ooh! Spaceships! Alien spaceships! Versus battleships!

Hollywood Exec #2: So this movie, which is going to be named Battleship, actually has nothing to do with Battleship the game.

Hollywood Exec #1: It has the same name! That's all that matters!

Hollywood Exec #2: Fine. I'm going to do a mountain of cocaine until this plan actually seems like it makes a bit of sense.

Hollywood Exec #1: I already have!