Hondo's Bar

New Trailers

I thought I'd make a thread to post cool new trailers for upcoming movies. I'm getting all of these off of apple.com so you can go look yourself, but this saves you a trip.

First of all, this year seems to be the year of the magician, as there are three high profile movies featuring magician characters on the horizon.

Scoop - Woody Allen returns to his roots after Match Point...well, halfway. He's gone back to comedy but he's still in London. Though Woody plays the magician, I have a feeling it'll be his dialogue coming out of the mouth of Deadwood's Ian McShane that will make the real movie magic. Also starring Hugh Jackman and Scarlett Johansson.

The Prestige - And speaking of Hugh Jackman and Scarlett Johansson, they pair up again in another magician movie - the latest for Memento/Insomnia/Batman Begins director Christopher Nolan. Jackman plays a magician locked in a bitter rivalry with a fellow-magician and once-friend played by Christian Bale. Also stars Michael Caine, Andy Serkis and David Bowie.

The Illusionist - Finally, rounding out our magician trilogy is The Illusionist, a supernatural mystery by second-time director Neil Burger (no I never heard of his first film either). It sports, I think, a more interesting look than The Prestige, and it has an amazing cast. Edward Norton, Paul Giamatti and Rufus Sewell might not be as bankable as Bale and Jackman are these days, but they're always a joy to watch. Also stars Jessica Biel.

The Fountain - And for those who can't get enough of Hugh Jackman (you're in luck because he stars in five movies this fall, though two are voice roles) he stars with Rachel Weisz in this amazing looking sci-fi movie, the first film by Darren Aronofsky since Requiem for a Dream six years ago.

Crank - Something to hold you over until they make Transporter 3. Starring Jason Statham and Amy Smart.

The Science of Sleep - The latest for Michel Gondry, director of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. This one is...well just watch it.

The Last Kiss - Starring Zach Braff and written by Crash/Million Dollar Baby's Paul Haggis.

Renaissance - And you thought Sin City was the movie that most looked like a comic book.

Children of Men - A sc-fi thriller with an intriguing premise - in the year 2027, the human race finds itself mysteriously unable to procreate. Starring Clive Owen, Julianne Moore, Michael Caine and Chiwetel Ejiofor, and directed by Alfonso Cuaron, director of Y tu mama tambien and Prisoner of Azkaban.

Ratatouille - Teaser trailer for Pixar's next collaboration with director Brad Bird (The Iron Giant, The Incredibles)

Charlotte's Web - Landing Dakota Fanning and Julia Roberts (as the voice of Charlotte) was a coup, and casting Steve Buscemi as Templeton was inspired, but let's hope the fart jokes in the trailer are not the only thing thi movie has to offer or we'll be seeing the worst Hollywood butchering of a children's classic since...I dunno, Dr Doolittle. Also stars the voices of Oprah Winfrey, Kathy Bates, John Cleese, Thomas Haden Church, Robert Redford, Cedric the Entertainer, Jennifer Garner, Reba McEntire and Andre Benjamin.

Running With Scissors - Written and directed by Ryan Murphy, creator of Nip/Tuck, boasting an amazingly good cast (Alec Baldwin - who only gets better with age - Annette Bening, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jill Clayburgh, Brian Cox, Joseph Fienes, Evan Rachel Wood, Kristin Chenoweth and Joseph Cross) and most of all, the trailer made me laugh. I guess that's all that matters.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Fuck Transformers. The only confirmed voice is Quinton Flynn. If the name sounds familiar, check the opening credits of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - he played Raiden. Now he plays Casey Jones.

Transformers - Fuck TMNT. The cast includes Jon Voight, John Turturro, Bernie Mac, Shia LeBeouf, Tyrese Gibson, and Dane Cook...wait, is this a comedy? Rumor has it that the original voices of Optimus Prime and Megatron are signed on. Directed by (sigh) Michael Bay.

Edited by Silent Bob

ya know what boggles my mind? The date.

I mean, in this day in age, with the technology and computers they have out now for cinema processing... what the fuck are they editing?

This film is already filmed and ready to go months ago...

Jeeez... :2T:

secondposter.jpg

2007? WTF?

Dude, even from that insanely blurry trailer I could tell there were a lot of effects that weren't finished. Then you've got finalized editing, music to record, ADR to complete, color processing, whatever. After that you gotta give the marketing guys time to have their field day by promoting the shit out of it. Sure, the film could probably be ready for release for November, but who the hell is going to release a Spider-man movie in November?

DOJ:

The Fountain - And for those who can't get enough of Hugh Jackman (you're in luck because he stars in five movies this fall, though two are voice roles) he stars with Rachel Weisz in this amazing looking sci-fi movie, the first film by Darren Aronofsky since Requiem for a Dream six years ago.

SB: awesome thread man, lookin forward to checking out Fountain, the gandri one and a few others.

Yeah, the long delayed The Fountain comes out this fall (October, I think). After that he's working on a movie called Flicker, and then he's linked to - Nick you'll love this - the movie adaptation of Lone Wolf & Cub.

Say what?

Love this thread and thanks to you I'm now looking forward to watching Children of Men .

Don't worry, man, I'm sure the hundreds upon hundreds of people working their ass off on the thing are going to have it out for you as soon as they possibly can.

It's like waiting at thr registry in along line though... when you finally get there, you are more pissed off than happy that your time has come...

... can't wait though, should be pretty kick ass.

Babel - From the director of Amores perros and 21 Grams, starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett.

Rocky Balboa - The sequel that nobody really wanted to see. It looks typical but at least not too horrible.

The Guardian - When you have Ashton Kutcher and Hot Costner as your leads your movie isn't going to be filled with amazing performances (or much humility for that matter) and the story looks pretty cliche, but the at-sea rescue scenes seem pretty tense and Andrew Davis - who directed The Fugitive, A Perfect Murder, and the better-than-you-realize Holes - is usually reliable for good thrills.

The Nativity Story - With the schocking success of The Passion, this was bound to happen. Personally, I don't recall there being two hours worth of story but here it is anyway. Starring Keisha Castle-Hughes (Whale Rider) as Mary and the always great Ciaran Hinds (A Sum of All Fears, Munich, currently playing Caesar on HBO's Rome) as King Herod and directed by Catherine Hardwicke (Thirteen, Lords of Dogtown)

Pulse - After helping to make Veronica Mars one of the most-loved shows on TV, Kristin Bell deserves better than a stupid dead teenager horror flick, but too late now.

Edited by Silent Bob

Flatland - OK, I read Flatland in High School, and I remember thinking, this could never work as a movie. Never. Never! Well, we'll see if I was right.... For those not familiar with the book (I'd actually be surpised if one person here has read Flatland), it's a story about a 2-Dimensional world, inhabited by triangles, squares, an rules by circles, and one simple square's journey into the third dimension. You'll see for yourself if you watch the trailer. Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts

Flatland - OK, I read Flatland in High School, and I remember thinking, this could never work as a movie. Never. Never! Well, we'll see if I was right.... For those not familiar with the book (I'd actually be surpised if one person here has read Flatland), it's a story about a 2-Dimensional world, inhabited by triangles, squares, an rules by circles, and one simple square's journey into the third dimension. You'll see for yourself if you watch the trailer.

It looks interesting as a preschool educational movie goes, but couldn't that glowing sphere thing from the 3rd dimension have brought along a wisecracking dodecahedron or something, preferably voiced by Chris Tucker.

Hollywoodland - Original reports indicated that this was going to be a George Reeves biopic called Truth, Justice and the American Way but now it looks like it's really something completely different. This Hollywood murder mystery is shaping up to be this year's L.A. Confidential, and possibly the long-needed career boost for Ben Affleck.

Marie Antoinette - Sofia Coppola's latest film was quite literally booed at Cannes, on October 13th (cause opening on Friday the 13th will help) we'll get to see if it was warranted.

Jackass2 - The movie that made many of us worried about the future of our species gets a sequel. Whoopty-doo.

Zoom - 20th Century Fox tried to sue these guys because they said this film resembles their X-Men series too much. Frankly, I think the makers of Sky High would have had a better case. By the way, I hear that when Tim Allen's contract with Disney finally runs out, it'll be a sign of the End Times.