Hondo's Bar

Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls

Just got back from seeing it. Review possibly forth-coming if I ever get un-lazy. Until then, lemme just say I liked it. Obviously, no film will ever match Raiders (you can say that about just about any action movie, anyway) but I think Kingdom fits in comfortable with Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade. I had a few gripes (too much cgi!) but they are all drowned out by the thrill of seeing Harrison Ford in that costume again.

One thing I was surprised by was just how much I liked Mutt. I'm a big fan of Shia LaBeouf. I think he's great in everything he's in and he's got a huge career ahead of him, but I still expected him to be completely overshadowed by Harrison Ford and the legacy of Indiana Jones. I also thought his character background was a little hokey. Basically, I just didn't think it would work. But remarkably, Shia holds his own thanks to a fun but not overly-showy performance. He blended right into the flick (just like his hyper-kinetic performance in Transformers blended in with Michael Bay's filming style - but this was more enjoyable) and I can see why the almighty Spielberg has taken a liking to him. If they really do plan to pass the series on to another character someday, I'd be happy to follow him.

There have already been plenty of complaints by folks online about adding aliens to the Indy mythology. Frankly, I'm not sure what other Indy movies these people have been watching but considering the guy has dealt with 700 year old knights, voodoo dolls, vampires, possession, and the friggin' Ark of the Covenant, aliens are not that big of a stretch. Indiana Jones movies were always meant to reflect the pulp entertainment of the periods in which they are set, so having aliens in the Cold War paranoia-fueled 1950s makes sense, even if it does occasionally clash with the character's roots.

I'm not really the only one who saw it last night, right?

Some more things I liked about Kingdom:

The interrogation scene after the atomic bomb blast was one of the few dialogue scenes that felt like classic Indy. Though, to be honest, I couldn't quite take Agent Jan Itor of the FBI seriously.

Indy actually referenced something that happened in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles! That just gave me a little geekasm.

The motorcycle chase through the university campus was another scene that felt just like the old Indy movies - probably because it was one of the few without heavy cg environments.

The fire ants. A bit random and fake looking? Sure, but icky and scary enough to fit right alongside the icky/scary scenes from the other three films (snakes, bugs, rats). It also gives the series what could quite possibly be the most disturbing villain death yet. Having your head explode is one thing, but being dragged alive by a million giant fire ants into their hill and eaten? That's just all kinds of ew.

"You don't know him. You don't know him! YOU DON'T KNOW HIM!"

The ending shot with Mutt holding Indy's hat - perfect.

A couple more things I didn't like:

Despite a good performance by Blanchett, Irina Spalko is probably the least memorable Indiana Jones villain to date. She had gimmicks instead of genuine character traits (

a psychic with a sword?

) and not enough (or any) memorable lines. Belloq she ain't.

The closest thing to an interesting villain was Mac with all his weasel-ness. But he switches sides so many times, it's hard to get a handle on just what kind of character he is - you know, besides a weasel.

Edited by Silent Bob

Mac was better the first time when he was Benni in The Mummy

Anybody who complains this movie sucks can bite my shiny metal ass. No it's not better than Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade but that's because they were amazing movies. It is better than Temple of Doom, that's for sure.

My two complaints. 1) Too much CGI, but then again I didn't like the old conventional effects in the old one. 2) This is Indiana Jones, we need more snakes!

• Upvote 1

Yes, Temple of Doom remains the relative low point of the series, but you have to admit that it had, hands down, the best climax of the entire franchise.

So I guess one freakin' enormous snake doesn't make up for a bunch of little ones in your eyes, huh?

Another thing I liked about the film:

At first I felt like Indy's comical pauses during action scenes to act like a professor (in the library after the motorbike slides under the tables and in the quick-sand-but-not-really-quick-sand) were out of character, but the more I thought about it the more it made sense. At his age he'd be spending less and less time in the field and more and more time in the classroom and, naturally, would probably start to pick up traits that were more like his father. Henry Jones Sr. definitely would have acted like that.

Another thing I didn't like:

Why did they get a great actor like John Hurt and then basically give him the role of Lassie? "What is it, Ox? Lead the way. Show us where to go, boy." Such a waste.

Edited by Silent Bob

Yes, Temple of Doom remains the relative low point of the series, but you have to admit that it had, hands down, the best climax of the entire franchise.

Well yeah it's the only ending where the main villain didn't melt, disentigrate, or

burst into flame.

So I guess one freakin' enormous snake doesn't make up for a bunch of little ones in your eyes, huh?

No, cause Last Crusade had a big one and so did Temple of Doom but they had a buncha little ones too, and come on the a giant rat snake can't make up for cobras.

Ok heres my rundown of this movie (with spoilers):

Opening sequence: Wow! Action, Nuclear blasts, Cate Blanchett looking semi-hot!

About an hour in: Woo! More awesome action and Shia La Boeufs there too! This is the Indy I know and love.

Soon after that: Didn't I see this exact storyline in

Stargate SG1

before??

Rest of movie: ???? KILL STEVEN SPIELBERG, KILL GEORGE LUCAS, HANG THOSE FUCKERS FROM THE HIGHEST TREE. THAT WAS THE MOST GODAWFUL PIECE OF SHIT I'VE SEEN IN YEARS AND I'VE SEEN GIGLI!

Edited by crimsonfire

I saw it this weekend, and I thought the movie was pretty good. Defintely up-to-par with the other Indy movies, but not exactly the best of all of them. The Mac character reminded me too much of Benny from the first Mummy movie. And the

crystal skull/alien connection was too much like Stargate SG-1

, but otherwise great movie!

Get a load of this article about a possible Fifth Indiana Jones movie:

Lucas: 'Indy 5' A Possibility

George Lucas tells me it’s more than a strong possibility there will be a fifth "Indiana Jones." He says that he and director Steven Spielberg have left the door open for a sequel to "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

Lucas, looking dandy with slicked-back gray and white hair in a snappy tuxedo, was a guest Thursday night at Paramount/DreamWorks’s party for "Kung Fu Panda" at the 61st Cannes Film Festival.

The swell event was set up on the pier across from the Carlton Hotel, where the studio spared no expense recreating sets and treating guests to haute Chinese cuisine. There was even one of the 40 pandas from the publicity stunt the day before, dancing in the crowd to Carl Carlton’s old hit "Kung Fu Fighting."

Lucas had a lot to say about the new "Indy" and its future.

"I haven’t even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out."

"And it’s not like Harrison is even old. I mean, he’s 65 and he did everything in this movie. The old chemistry is there, and it’s not like he’s an old man. He’s incredibly agile; he looks even better than he did 20 years ago, if you ask me."

Lucas says he’s not concerned about early mixed buzz on "Crystal Skull."

"This movie is the exact same experience as the other three were. The difference is, the novelty of discovery is gone. I get worried when I hear fans say they’re expecting something different that will change their lives. This is 'Indiana Jones' just as you remember him."

But that’s exactly the gamble Spielberg and Lucas took with reviving their icon. Expectation grows into a frenzy and then no one in that frame of mind can be satisfied.

You already can see this with "Sex and the City: The Movie" and it hasn't even opened everywhere. Fans and even some critics want some transcendent experience. They almost seem upset that all they got was … "Sex and the City."

Lucas has been here before, when he revived and extended the "Star Wars" series. The build-up to the release of the fourth installment (aka now Chapter 1), "Phantom Menace," was huge until it reached a fever pitch. Then, almost before it could be absorbed, "Phantom Menace" became the target of scorn from fanatics. Computer-generated character Jar Jar Binks was public enemy No. 1.

But "Star Wars" continues to thrive. In August, Lucas says, he’s releasing an animated 90-minute "Star Wars" movie to theaters via Warner Bros. called "Clone Wars." It will be followed in September by an animated series on the Cartoon Network and TNT.

"No one wanted it," he told me. "Every studio rejected it, including Fox, and I’m very loyal to them. They have right of first refusal. Eventually I brought it to Warners. It’s the first time that three components of the studio have acted together. It’s very exciting.

"But the story is that everyone said, 'No one gets this. It’s just … 'Star Wars.'' I said, 'That’s right, It’s just 'Star Wars.' Just like this is … 'Indiana Jones.''"

Oh, yes, and by the way: If "Crystal Skull" breaks records when it opens on May 22, Lucas could wind up having his name on a fourth title in the all-time box office top 10 (it would be Spielberg’s second).

"But these movies — the 'Indiana Jones' ones — were never big hits right away. They were always slow starters that built up to big numbers," Lucas insisted.

I don’t think that will be the case with this one. And the notion that a sequel already is playing around in his head should only fuel the heady numbers about to be posted.

This was the part that scared me:

"I haven’t even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out."

Please say it ain't so?!!!! You do not downgrade the main character into a side character in favor of a new character! If this is gonna be the angle for the next Indy movie, it will fail MISERABLY!!! :groucho:

Then in the sixth movie Henry "Mutt" Jones III will be able to lament the passing of his dear dad Indy and go on to fight Commies and Argentinian Nazis while draft dodging the Vietnam war on a Student Deferment in Archeology and Motorcycle Mechanics.

I really dug Indy IV... Cj and I rented All of them the day before we saw it to refresh our memories, and really the fourth one was spot on as far as musical scoring, acting, etc. Almost as if they were all filmed together, but this one just had a little updated shit in it.

At any rate, Cj and I liked it, and we even mentioned how there will prolly be sequals. I mean, check out the ending. I think these will be the new Indy films for the kids of today. I would go see another.