Hondo's Bar

The offspring

Just plundering around the old threads and searching, i cant see a topic on these.... With news of an upcoming album, i thought i'd kick on americana and thusly have fell in love with them once more.. i haven't listened to them in the best part of 2/3 years, but i cant stop listening to them now

Anyone else got mad love for them?

Great band, awesome song with excellent use of harmonies. Smash, Ixnay and Americana are all solid albums. Don't recall listening to all of Conspiracy, but Original Prankster is a kickass song, but Want You Bad was sadly generic sounding. I did listen Splinter, and while it had two or three good songs (Spare Me the Details and Da Hui were fun), most were overly whiny teen angsty songs like Gone Away. Gone Away is a good song, but a good Offspring record has one or two of those types of songs and the rest are fun. Splinter seems to have a poor balance. It should be 55% raw energy (Killboy Powerhead, Have You Ever), 35% funny (Why Don't You Get A Job?, Me & My Old Lady) and 10% whiny shit (Gone Away) with some room for overlap (Bad Habit is both funny and raw energy).

im babbling about "All I want", it went on forever for the first few levels, on loop, as i recall. Made me resent them for a bit, but id had a few albums of theirs from when i worked at a record store. Theyre awesome, despite what Sega tried to cinvince me.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
I listened to a few songs off that album on Youtube and was not thrilled. Anyone bought it? Does it grow on you.

Late picking up/downloading the album. I find the album has some promise, but its nothing like what they can do unfortunately. There were one or two tracks that stood out as really good, and others that stood out as offensive on the aurals.

• 1 month later...
im the one guy here that likes them more than Green Day.

Hardly, good sir. In fact, I HATE Green Day.

Americana was my very first album ever (I got it in cassette form, by the way ^_^), so it's got a very sweet spot in my heart. I think I learned by ear almost every song in that album in my first month with it - and I didn't even know English (I was 10 at the time), so Americana makes me proud, too.

Now when I listen to it, there's some awesome lyrics in it.

• 3 years later...

220px-The_Offspring_-_Days_Go_By_album_cover.jpg

1. "The Future Is Now"

2. "Secrets from the Underground"

3. "Days Go By"

4. "Turning into You"

5. "Hurting as One"

6. "Cruising California (Bumpin' in My Trunk)"

7. "All I Have Left Is You"

8. "O.C. Guns"

9. "Dirty Magic"

10. "I Wanna Secret Family (With You)"

11. "Dividing by Zero"

12. "Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell"

i wanna be hyped, but the first track...

it's not what i was hoping for. i think i wanted this

Do not want.

It's been over a decade since Pretty Fly For A White Guy came out deriding "posers" and here's one of the best selling rock bands of the 90s putting out a song that sounds like a Katty Perry reject. Linkin Park & Billy Corgan Smashing Pumpkins also put out new albums last week. I haven't listened to 'em yet, but I hope they fared better.

Wow, must be some sort of something going on, because I spent yesterday listening to all the good offspring from back in the day, on youtube. I had got Bad Habit stuck in my head somehow and decided to listen to them again for the first time in almost a decade (aside from the occasional radio play). Didn't even know they were still around, but it sounds like it is best to just remember the older stuff and not listen to the new stuff, just like just about every other band I liked back in the 90's.

putting out a song that sounds like a Katty Perry reject.

I read this and thought you were being a little harsh. That was before I heard the track. Did they sit down and say to themselves "I know what the world needs right now! Another vapid California party anthem!" The Days Go By title track wasn't as offensive to hear, but it was just boring. It sounded like a slightly more upbeat Nickelback song.

So, do the anti-Green Day, Offspring fans think this is still better than Green Day?

here's one of the best selling rock bands of the 90s putting out a song that sounds like a Katty Perry reject.

I read this and thought you were being a little harsh. That was before I heard the track.

Man, I thought the exact same thing. 'Katey Perry reject??' It can't be THAT bad.....Haku your comment is spot on.

I think most causal fans dropped off after Conspiracy of One, but my brother's a huge offspring fan, and stuck with them through Splinter and Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace. The only reason I got to listen to those albums was cause he had them lying around. From what I remember of what I heard they weren't bad at all.

But THIS. Man I wanna believe they were like 'Hey you know what'd be hilarious, if we made a terrible vapid california pop song as a joke!'