Hondo's Bar

Heath Ledger Dead

fnc.jpg

Actor Heath Ledger Found Dead at Manhattan Residence

foxnews_story.gif

NEW YORK — Actor Heath Ledger was found dead Tuesday at his downtown Manhattan residence, according to the NYPD. He was 28.

NYPD spokeswoman Stephanie Jaramillo told FOXNews.com that Ledger was discovered by his housekeeper at his apartment on Broome Street in the Soho section of New York City and was pronounced dead at 3:35 p.m. EST.

Jaramillo declined to comment on the cause of death, saying only that "the investigation is still ongoing."

But The New York Post reported that Ledger died of a possible drug overdose and his apartment was strewn with pills.

Ledger had an appointment for a massage at his Manhattan apartment, NYPD spokesman Paul Browne told The Associated Press. The housekeeper went to let Ledger know the masseuse had arrived and found him dead, according to Browne.

The Australian-born actor was nominated for an Oscar for "Brokeback Mountain," where he met his wife, actress Michelle Williams, in 2005. Ledger and Williams had lived in Brooklyn and had a daughter, Matilda, until they split up last year.

Ledger's roles include the suicidal son of Billy Bob Thornton in "Monster's Ball" and had starring roles in "A Knight's Tale" and "The Patriot." He was to appear as the Joker this year in "The Dark Night," a sequel to 2005's "Batman Begins."

Sticking to my rule of two sources:

header_cnn_com_logo.gif

Actor Heath Ledger dies at 28

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Actor Heath Ledger was found dead Tuesday of a possible drug overdose in a Lower Manhattan apartment, the New York Police Department said.

The Academy Award nominated actor was 28.

"Pills were found in the vicinity of the bed," police spokesman Paul Browne told CNN.

"This is being looked at as a possible overdose, but that is not confirmed yet."

Police later said the pills "appear to be over the counter" sleeping medication.

Ledger was unresponsive when he was found by a housekeeper who had gone to wake him for an appointment with a masseuse in the Soho apartment, Browne said.

He was declared dead at about 3:30 p.m., Browne said.

In 2005, the actor played Ennis Del Mar in "Brokeback Mountain," about two cowboys who had a secret relationship.

The role earned him the Oscar nomination.

Ledger was born in Perth, Australia. He has a young daughter with actress Michelle Williams, his co-star in "Brokeback Mountain."

"He was just so respected in the industry," said Kim Serafin, senior editor of In Touch Weekly. "It's just horribly tragic. He was just a fine actor and a good person, so this is horribly sad and very unexpected."

Also:

bbc_logo.gif

refreshLogo.gif

MSNBC%20logo.jpg

This is very sad. Just two days ago I bought a purple sports coat at a thrift store that I planned to were to the dark Knight premiere. I guess I'll still wear it, but in his honor. Such a shame, he was a great actor. He also missed the cut off to join the 27 Club (Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Alexander the Great)

Sadly, it looks like no prank. This is really sad, the guy's career was just starting to get past the pretty boy image and into what could have been a very long and interesting career. I was really looking forward to see what he could do.

(Someone remind me to change my Hondos theme next time I'm at my main computer. Feels a little disrespectful now.)

Sadly, it looks like no prank. This is really sad, the guy's career was just starting to get past the pretty boy image and into what could have been a very long and interesting career. I was really looking forward to see what he could do.

(Someone remind me to change my Hondos theme next time I'm at my main computer. Feels a little disrespectful now.)

i don't know about that sb,

you're paying tribute to the guy because you like his work and had belief that he would do a good job in a character you have a huge interest in. if anything i think you should keep it for longer as a sign of respect

Even though he was 28, he was finally getting rid of that kiddo Heath (10 things, knights tale) even though he did knights tale after the patriot, the patriot is where you started to see his coming of age acting. Havent seen brokeback, but we all know it won tons, so he was most definately coming around. I am sure he played a good joker too...

But I also get that foolish feel when it comes to celebs not waking up in the morning. It just seems like some people just arent cut out do be rich and famous. I did Victim Advocate for 2 years with the Sheriff's Office, and 4 of the 5 suicides that I responded to were all rich, well to do people. The 5th one was an overdose, which might as well be ruled suicide. It just seems like most everyone struggles to be on top, and those that are there just lose their grip. Rest in peace.

:cheers:

To be honest, I kind of wonder if his insistance on method acting didn't hurt him. The guy locked himself in a hotel room for a month, writing in-character journals to get into the mind of the Joker. He did similar "preparation" sessions for playing an intense introvert in Brokeback Mountain and a heroine addict in Candy. That kind of thing can't be healthy.

Signal, his performance in Monster's Ball is also incredible.

SB, I agree with SB. You were excited about him portraying a character deeply embedded into our collective consciousness (I contest that playing characters we all already know are the hardest of all roles to play). Many a greater actor died with a far worse last project under their belts. If Heath's method acting was his undoing, it was a testament to his commitment. Not to sound insensitive, but we should all be so lucky to die from working too hard to make strides in the craft for which we are passionate.

Archived