Hondo's Bar

Best Heavy Metal Band

Best Heavy Metal Band  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Half the time Sabbath was singing war protests and songs about political unrest. But if you wanna get that technical then where's Alice Cooper?

half the time? that's a bit of an exaggeration

i added alice but only for his later stuff

and ozzy too

Yes, I'd like to hear any definition of metal that somehow would leave AC/DC out but the rest of the jokers on this poll in. How can you listen to a song like Thunderstuck and say "not metal"?

they need more than one metal song to be considered metal

and even if you don't like the bands on the poll you can't argue they're not metal.

Dude, name me one AC/DC song that's not metal. They've never done any cheesy ballads, never experiments with synthesizers, never used a strings section, never done anything acoustic, and all their songs are about sex, drugs, hell, rock and roll and general badassery.

Again, give me any definition of "heavy metal" that would somehow encompass your bands, but not AD/DC.

Dude, name me one AC/DC song that's not metal. They've never done any cheesy ballads, never experiments with synthesizers, never used a strings section, never done anything acoustic, and all their songs are about sex, drugs, hell, rock and roll and general badassery.

Again, give me any definition of "heavy metal" that would somehow encompass your bands, but not AD/DC.

highway to hell, rock n' roll ain't noise pollution, tnt, for me metal is heavier than the ac/dc style.

the term metal has evolved since the early seventies when it was applied to zeppelin, deep purple and even hendrix.

i suppose it all depends on whether you agree it has evolved since then.

but for me ac/dc are classic rock

This whole idea of trying to define music is so difficult. I worked in a little new/used cd shop for almost seven years, and I just finally decided to stop trying a long time ago. Its like trying to argue art, which is a varying experience from person to person. I think music is easily a form of art.

They don't have any mentions of demons or abortions. Demons and abortions are the cornerstone of heavy metal.

yeah, i agree it's not just the type of music, it's the lyrical content as well. Hell's Bell's and Highway to Hell are the closest they came to heavy metal.

Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be and Rock N' Rock Damnation both had the Hell theme as well. On the cover of Highway to Hell, Angus is dressed as a demon too.

Also, a bunch of the bands on this listen never talked about hell or demons or the devil (like GN'R and Van Halen).

Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be and Rock N' Rock Damnation both had the Hell theme as well. On the cover of Highway to Hell, Angus is dressed as a demon too.Also, a bunch of the bands on this listen never talked about hell or demons or the devil (like GN'R and Van Halen).
okay, however, on the broad spectrum, some of their songs are on the heavy metal side, but you're forgetting that they also had songs such as 'who made who' and 'whole lotta rosey', as well as 'shook me all night long' , (let us not forget 'she's got the jack'- my fave!) as well as more recent songs such as 'safe in NYC', which is more of a hard rock sound than metal.Now, when i think metal (on occasion this Tori Amos/Bjork/Coldplay/Radiohead fan does!) I think... ALL HEAVY, ALL THE TIME. I don't think ACDC. I LOVE ACDC. Don't please, get me wrong. Their classic hits are to be admired and respected, but *I* don't find them heavy enough to be put under the whole heavy label. But that's me. If ACDC is heavy to you, well then get your school boy outfit on and rock her with the shocker (as they say), more power to you! God knows they are going to keep on rocking (for those of you brazen enough to put ACDC under 'classic'- know this, ACDC is still rockin' it out yo!) and so should you!
almost grateful for the lack of Cannibal Corpse.
OMGUD.I forgot about them. *shudders*

Lyrical content has nothing to do with it, musical genre is decided by sound, I could (and have) sing Enter Sandman in the style of a Country Gospel song but it is not metal. And don't tell me Heavy Metal is about look either because most of these bands' stage presence is about the same as Grunge and the armor look was done by Glam Rock.

wait, what? says you. i certainly wouldnt apply this to other genres.

looks like us hip-hop fans are pretty fucked

j16984rouct.jpg

Boris with Merz - Rock Dream

best metal album ever. drone/sludge/metal band boris with noise pioneer merzbow upping the ante

Edited by Lorelei

i've never really liked metal or been able to respect it, mainly for the imagery.. i used to listen to half those bands when i was 14

i voted black sabbath just because i've sampled tony iommi before

well you can't take the lyrics in metal seriously,

the music is all that matters,

well you can't take the lyrics in metal seriously,

the music is all that matters,

bands like iron maiden are awful [imo] regardless of that

making music for the sake of it especially when you're using 4/4 time signatures just doesn't make any sense to me.

bastardised jazz, technically

bands like iron maiden are awful [imo] regardless of that

making music for the sake of it especially when you're using 4/4 time signatures just doesn't make any sense to me.

bastardised jazz, technically

you'll get no complaints from me about maiden, they cross the line of cheesieness that i find acceptable.

i don't know about the timing or structure of music, (i'm not a musician) i just judge it solely on whether it sounds good or not

and to me metallica, sabbath, megadeth, zakk wylde sound fucking fantastic.

now if i want lyrics, i'll listen to waits, springsteen, dylan.

it all depends on your mood

wait, what? says you. i certainly wouldnt apply this to other genres.

If you base it on lyrical content then Kiss, Toadies, even Alanis Morissette are Metal. Music is based on the sound, Classic Rock has a kind of a Rhythm and Blues feel, Metal is all about powerful guitar solos and lots of drums, industrial is about percussion and metallic noises, techno is about playing the same 15 beats over and over again in different sequences for like 3 hours, pop is usually upbeat and happy, country uses a bluegrass and now almost classic rock sound.

"techno is about playing the same 15 beats over and over again in different sequences for like 3 hours"

you could say that about any genre of music. it's not true. just look at some of the best rock songs ever written. they use 4 chords. it depends how complex you want to go.

"pop is usually upbeat and happy"

Weesmallhours.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
Are you honestly calling Frank Sinatra "pop music?"

Are you honestly telling me you've never heard of pop music in the 40s/50s? yes, frank sinatra is pop. traditional pop.

* Ballads

* Swing

* Standards

* Traditional Pop

* Vocal Jazz

* Soft Rock

* Show Tunes

* Pop