Hondo's Bar

Gaming Blargh/random bits

bishopcruz

Square Enix revealed today its summer lineup and, believe it or not, actually moved a few release dates so that games will hit earlier than previously announced. In addition to the recently released Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth on PSP, Square Enix has nailed down final dates on three key titles to round out the rest of the summer: Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria, and Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime.

“This summer, Square Enix is releasing titles that will truly appeal to all audiences,” said Daishiro Okada, President and COO, Square Enix, Inc. “The line-up brings new titles for some of Square Enix’s most beloved series with games for casual and young gamers, as well as gamers ‘on the go,’ the revival of a cult hit, a new take on a renowned franchise and the ability to play together. We’re excited about providing entertainment that will bring in new fans as well as delight our existing ones.”

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII is being developed internally by Square Enix for PlayStation 2. The release date has been moved up from August 22 to August 15.

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime hits next and is a collaboration between Square Enix and TOSE. The game will come to DS on September 19.

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria is the brainchild of original VP developer Tri-Ace. This VP prequel is also coming earlier than expected, moving from November to September 26 on PS2.

You hane no idea how happy that has made me.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is for Doj

Half-Life 2 on PS3

I always thought it was odd that Valve decided to release Half-Life 2 on the original Xbox at the tail end of its lifespan. First, the port they turned out wasn't exactly spectacular, and second, the game itself just seemed primed for a next-gen console in the first place. Well, now Valve is making good on that potential--last week the developer announced that the upcoming episodic installment HL2: Episode Two will be hitting the PlayStation 3, and amazingly it'll contain all the back content with the Half-Life 2 name on it. That's the original game, Episode One, Counter-Strike: Source, and even the new project Portal and the resurrected project Team Fortress 2. That's an awful lot of material to chew on, and it's great to see Valve on board with the next-gen consoles.

:???: AWESOME!!!!!!!!

While I don't give a damn about this here's the tour in case you want to go.

Nintendo has announced the 2006 Nintendo Fusion Tour along with tour dates and locations. The tour is being produced by Live Nation and will feature Hawthorne Heights, Relient K, Emery, The Sleeping, and Plain White T's. On the videogame side of things, the Fusion Tour will showcase several new and anticipated titles at each concert, including the Nintendo Wii console.

Here's the tour schedule:

Sept. 27 Columbus, Ohio

Sept. 28 Indianapolis

Sept. 29 Detroit

Sept. 30 Cleveland

Oct. 1 Covington, Ky.

Oct. 4 Philadelphia

Oct. 5 Worcester, Mass.

Oct. 7 Pittsburgh

Oct. 8 New York

Oct. 9 Norfolk, Va.

Oct. 10 Winston-Salem, N.C.

Oct. 11 Myrtle Beach, S.C.

Oct. 12 Orlando, Fla.

Oct. 13 Atlanta

Oct. 14 Jacksonville, Fla.

Oct. 15 Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.

Oct. 17 Jonesboro, Ark.

Oct. 18 New Orleans

Oct. 19 Houston

Oct. 20 Dallas

Oct. 22 Phoenix

Oct. 24 Anaheim, Calif.

Oct. 25 Los Angeles

Oct. 26 San Francisco

Oct. 27 San Diego

Oct. 28 Las Vegas

Nov. 2 Spokane, Wash.

Nov. 4 Denver

Nov. 5 Kansas City, Mo.

Nov. 6 St. Paul, Minn.

Nov. 7 St. Louis

Nov. 8 Milwaukee

Nov. 9 Des Moines, Iowa

Nov. 10 Champaign, Ill.

Nov. 11 Chicago

This is for Doj

Half-Life 2 on PS3

I always thought it was odd that Valve decided to release Half-Life 2 on the original Xbox at the tail end of its lifespan. First, the port they turned out wasn't exactly spectacular, and second, the game itself just seemed primed for a next-gen console in the first place. Well, now Valve is making good on that potential--last week the developer announced that the upcoming episodic installment HL2: Episode Two will be hitting the PlayStation 3, and amazingly it'll contain all the back content with the Half-Life 2 name on it. That's the original game, Episode One, Counter-Strike: Source, and even the new project Portal and the resurrected project Team Fortress 2. That's an awful lot of material to chew on, and it's great to see Valve on board with the next-gen consoles.

Well that's all well and good, but when Episodes 2 and 3 are finished, will they be enough to fill a whole disc? Actually Valve needs a new property to keep the company afloat, and fast. Portal looks cool, but it's clearly based heavily on Half Life 2, same sound effects, probably a lot of the same textures, and the models seem to be reskinned versions of ones from Half Life 2. Plus the idea isn't wholly original, it's been done in Prey and before that an indie game called Narbacular Drop which I've yet to play.

Wright plans to bring Spore to next-gen consoles.

"From the beginning, we thought about how we could move Spore to multiple platforms including consoles," said Wright about the highly anticipated PC-evolution simulator. Unbiased towards any next-gen console in particular, Wright explains that each console is unique and brings something different to the table. "[spore] will probably take very different forms depending on the platforms."

The transition from PC to console has always been a difficult task when it comes to mouse-controlled games, but Wright has the solution. "The mouse is a very good random-access device for putting on the screen; a console controller really makes you want the game avatar-based, so you move on character" Wright explains, adding that "with Spore, about half the game is avatar-based already," therefore making Spore an easy port and expandable franchise.

:)

Showing just how damn cool Xbox Live Arcade is comes this news:

Symphony of the Night Coming to Xbox Live Arcade

ORIGINAL STORY: Kaz Hirai's triumphant warcry of "Riiiiiidge Racer" on the PSP led people to believe other key PSOne titles would soon be heading to the PSP via emulation. Apparently Konami missed the memo, as Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is making its way to Xbox Live Arcade.

The September issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly (issue: 207) reports:

Konami is resurrecting the cult PS1 game Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on Xbox Live Arcade. Along with SOTN, Konami is also bringing back other classic hits, some revered (Frogger, Contra, Super Contra, Track & Field) some obscure (Time Pilot), and some really obscure (Scramble).

When will SOTN head to XBLA? Representatives from Konami told 1UP that the game is tenatively slated for a Q1 2007 release on XBLA.

UPDATE: For clarification, the version of Symphony of the Night that will appear on Xbox Live is not the Sega Saturn version of the title, it is the PlayStation version. Furthermore, nothing from Konami has indicated that SOTN's appearance on XBLA will keep the title exclusive to Microsoft's Live Arcade.

Now where are Suikoden 1 and 2?

The publisher said earlier this week that it had seven titles in development for the Wii, although it had previously only announced Rayman Raving Rabbids and Red Steel for the platform.

Newly announced titles include Far Cry, which will utilize the Wii’s remote to “drive, shoot, slash, jump and climb your way through a rebel-infested tropical hell.”

Two driving games from the publisher will also be ready right out of the gate, with GT Pro Series and Monster 4X4 World Circuit. A Wii version of Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII is also along the way, plus a game based on the upcoming CG movie, Open Season.

“Media and analysts agree that Ubisoft has the greatest potential for reward with the new console’s launch because we believed in it from the beginning,” said Laurent Detoc, president of Ubisoft North America. “With an impressive lineup of launch games that offer something for everyone, we are in a unique position to benefit from the Wii’s success in appealing to both new and hardcore gamers.”

Analysts such as Michael Pachter with Wedbush Morgan Securities have pointed out that third parties who aren’t yet committed to the Wii could be missing out on revenue opportunities in the console’s early life. After the Wii’s stellar E3 2006 performance, companies that have taken a “wait-and-see” approach may have been caught flat-footed by the console’s appeal.

Currently, two of the top third party supporters of Wii’s launch are Sega and Ubisoft.

Sega’s VP of marketing told Next-Gen last month, "The American companies don't do a good enough job of wooing Nintendo.”

Sweet.

It's really sad when you think about it. Xbox Live has the games worth playing while the system only has like 1 game worth to own. Glad I didn't spend my money on such a lame worthless of crap.

I swear, Microsoft could send you over a pair of hookers along with every system and you'd still bitch.

Arcade is one of the system's killer apps thus far, of course games like Oblivion, Call of Duty 2, GRAW, Prey, Condemned, Project Gotham Racing 3 and DOA4 are well worth the price of admission. I'm also salivating over Dead Risisng and N3.

But then again if you don't like western games, then not much I can say will convince you. After all, for whatever reason you didn't like the original system, and it had some KILLER software.

Edited by bishopcruz

Arcade is one of the system's killer apps thus far, of course games like Oblivion, Call of Duty 2, GRAW, Prey, Condemned, Project Gotham Racing 3 and DOA4 are well worth the price of admission. I'm also salivating over Dead Risisng and N3.

Most of those are PC games, and Dead or Alive 2 on the PS2 is still immensely playable, so sequels don't really make me hard.

DoA4 is honestly the best that series has ever been. The countering system is not longer as fucking cheap as it has been in past incarnations and there is actual skill required now.

I mean hell, Virtua Fighter 2 is still immensely playable, that didn't make me not love VF4.

Meh, I like playing with a gamepad, on my couch, and on a decent sized TV. Much better than hunched over at my desk. It's generally how I prefer to play games. Not to mention in the day of everything being multiplatform gaming TONS of stuff is available on both PC and console.

Not to mention the costs of PC hardware.

In other news the demo of Dead Rising came out today. FUCKING AWESOME, I can't wiat till next week when this comes out. This game should have killer app written all over it. I'm sorry, but if the thought of pounding zombies silly with a sledgehammer, skateboard, cash register, electic guitar, etc. dooesn't make you giddy, then you have no soul.

If Dead Rising somehow stays an X-box exclusive, im gonna be at your house a bit more next semester, man - that game does look awesome. What's N3 again?

I was happy to see John Woo's Stranglehold is gonna be multi-platofrm at least, and an updated version of Symphony of the Night'd have me excited too. Good luck pushing for Suikoden 1 & 2 tho....i know therye going for slightly obscure games, but even then it feels like a longshot.

I'm admittedly bowing out of the next-gen race for a while to come. Ive again got dozens of PS2 titles to catch up on that i dont feel are lacking in the graphics & otherwise depts, I want a Wii but no longer feel the need to buy systems opening day, Bishop's shown the softer side of the 360 but id still need more titles m'self, and PS3's prolly gonna be a bit before the price becomes more reasonable, so i think im gonna sit this round out, at least for the first year or so.

Which is just as well, cause prices sometimes come down, but we all know that first year really gives you time to see a more full lineup than the opening titles you often settle for, and it looks like GC and PS2 arent done with new titles just yet either.

Did I miss the announcement that Zelda was Wii only? I thought it was going to be on both Wii and GC. Super Mario Galaxy is Wii, not GC.

Not that there is all that much difference between the two, I mean the Wii is basically an overclocked GC with a new controller.

Edited by bishopcruz

I swear, Microsoft could send you over a pair of hookers along with every system and you'd still bitch.

But then again if you don't like western games, then not much I can say will convince you. After all, for whatever reason you didn't like the original system, and it had some KILLER software.

I did have a X-box at one point. That thing was just sitting there never being used because IT WAS A WORTHLESS COUNSEL. Sorry but 4-5 games does not make a KILLER system.

Edited by newtype

any system that gets that much support from Sega cant be all crap; you had Shenmue II, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future or whatever, and Ninja Gaiden wasnt bad either.

i already named more games that system had (with the halos) than my Sega CD did (uh, Sonic CD, the Lunars, and...make my video starring Kriss Kross). Not a killer system either, but not crap.

For me, what the system's lacking (and hopefully the 360'll work on this) is things like japanese RPGs and strong exclusives, which Dead Rising might be.

any system that gets that much support from Sega cant be all crap; you had Shenmue II, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future or whatever, and Ninja Gaiden wasnt bad either.

i already named more games that system had (with the halos) than my Sega CD did (uh, Sonic CD, the Lunars, and...make my video starring Kriss Kross). Not a killer system either, but not crap.

For me, what the system's lacking (and hopefully the 360'll work on this) is things like japanese RPGs and strong exclusives, which Dead Rising might be.

Till I see games worth owning I'm staying away from the 360. Other then Dead Rising an Oblivion I need a better reason to buy this.

P.S that goes for the PS3 as well. Yes I did say I'll buy it but I'm not made out of money.

Edited by newtype