Karl Urban ... Dr. Leonard 'Bones' McCoy

John Cho ... Lt. Hikaru Sulu

Zoe Saldana ... Lt. Nyota Uhura

Bruce Greenwood ... Christopher Pike

Ben Cross ... Sarek

Anton Yelchin ... Pavel Chekov

Leonard Nimoy ... Old Spock

================================

Im either under a rock, or this hasnt been very well advertised...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its only about effing time... transformers 2, GI Joe (if it doesnt fluke out), Star Trek, the monsters animated movie... think its simply called monsters?

anyways, I hope we get a shit load of must see movies this year. Going 2 or 3 months to find a 'decent' rental at the video rental store sucks. I want to be able to walk in every few weeks and find a hit.

It's called Monsters Vs Aliens.

In my opinion, both GI Joe and Transformers look like cinematic masturbation, and not the fun kind, the pathetic, shameful kind. However, this summer is shaping other with some other bright looking releases. Star Trek is one of them, Harry Potter 6 and Wolverine are two others. Also, Watchmen, Bruno, Terminator Salvation, Up, even the latest trailer for Land of the Lost doesn't look that bad.

This looks like it has potential to be an awesome movie!

I'm still a bit peeved they didn't include William Shatner, but I'm sure JJ Abrams had his reasons.

am guessing Old Spock in this movie is the Spock from the TNG timeframe (he was still alive in TNG as we saw in the episodes "Unification" Parts I and II).

am guessing Old Spock in this movie is the Spock from the TNG timeframe (he was still alive in TNG as we saw in the episodes "Unification" Parts I and II).

No, this movie is a reboot/origin story of the original characters, so it does not take place in the TNG timeframe, it's many years earlier. More likely that not, Nimoy as old Spock likely involves time-travel. In which case, I guess it would be TNG Spock.

I thought Nimoy was making a cameo as Sarek. And is it just me, but isn't Pegg a bit old compared to the other cast members? <sigh> I dunno. I hope to god this movie is good. We haven't a good Star Trek movie since First Contact and that was...wow, ten years or so ago now? I don't have high expectations, however. The trailer makes it seem like something other than Star Trek. Entertaining, yes most likely, but not a movie with the same tone as the shows.

He's definitely playing Spock. The plot has (basically) a rogue group of Romulans traveling back in time to kill Kirk before he can become a Star Fleet captain, and Spock manages to go back as well to help his younger self set things right. So really the film manages to be a sequel, a prequel and a reboot all at the same time. There will be a comic miniseries coming out that fills in some details from the future TNG side of the story.

Rebooting Star Trek is a bad idea. This movie should be filmed as a prequel at best. Re-doing the series will only risk alienating a wide fan-base of avid Star Trek fans, and it's a huge fan-base to risk losing just to make the series appealing to newcomers.

Rebooting Star Trek is a bad idea. This movie should be filmed as a prequel at best. Re-doing the series will only risk alienating a wide fan-base of avid Star Trek fans, and it's a huge fan-base to risk losing just to make the series appealing to newcomers.

I don't disagree more. Few franchisees have simultaneously this much potential while being so damn stale. Combine the classic dynamic of the original character with a little vitality and energy, it's a no-brainer. Star Trek fans have enjoyed so many different incarnations, it's clear that it's the original cast are not necessary to please them. If a few fans don't like it, they can stay home and pop their Wrath of Khan DVD in and watch their precious old school cast.

Re-doing the series will only risk alienating a wide fan-base of avid Star Trek fans, and it's a huge fan-base to risk losing just to make the series appealing to newcomers.

These being the fans that helped Insurrection and Nemesis bomb and Enterprise get canceled? Those fans? Whew, don't want to piss them off.

That said, the very fact that Abrams has Nimoy reprising his Spock role and is actually writing the film into the continuity of the rest of the canon, shows that it seems like they're trying to cater to both fans and newcomers alike. You could call it a reboot but in the Star Trek series, it's set up as a genuine alternate timeline.

These being the fans that helped Insurrection and Nemesis bomb and Enterprise get canceled? Those fans? Whew, don't want to piss them off.

That said, the very fact that Abrams has Nimoy reprising his Spock role and is actually writing the film into the continuity of the rest of the canon, shows that it seems like they're trying to cater to both fans and newcomers alike. You could call it a reboot but in the Star Trek series, it's set up as a genuine alternate timeline.

Insurrection and Nemesis bombed because both sucked, and Enterprise was panned by the fans for the very same reason he was worried about, it threw continuity all to the wind, pissing off and alienating tons of the older fans.

Insurrection and Nemesis bombed because both sucked, and Enterprise was panned by the fans for the very same reason he was worried about, it threw continuity all to the wind, pissing off and alienating tons of the older fans.

Insurrection and Nemesis were spectacularly terrible, yes. Enterprise was actually not that bad. I did enjoy it but it did take some previously immutable canon and throw it in a blender to get ratings. The Borg were first encountered by Picard at Wolf 359 and not Scott Bakula, not anybody can try to convince me they were actually discovered in Antarctica 200 years earlier.

Not much different to the existing trailers and teasers. Spotted a few more scenes I hadn't noticed before like the shot of the academy and san francisco. Seeing the actors in er action is really reassuring me about some of the doubts I had regarding some of the casting choices. Namely Kirk and McCoy. I still maintain Zachary Quinto is absolutely spot on for Spock. Still not sure about Simon Pegg as Scotty no matter how much I love the man.

Archived