Hondo's Bar

Star Trek (2009)

Signal08

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
Rebooting Star Trek is a bad idea. This movie should be filmed as a prequel at best. Re-doing the series will only risk alienating a wide fan-base of avid Star Trek fans, and it's a huge fan-base to risk losing just to make the series appealing to newcomers.

I wasn't even sure it would be an actual "re-boot" until I read this interview w/ the writers. Although I guess it's been common Trekker knowledge for a while now. What can I say, I'm outta the loop.

And possible sequel news:

Beaks: You guys aren't going to give me a real answer on this, but I'm going to ask anyway. Have you considered working Khan into a subsequent film?

Orci: The honest answer is if you're a TREK fan, there's no way Khan isn't at the top of the list of things you want to play with, right?

Beaks: Right.

Orci: It'll just be whether or not it's the right thing to do.

Beaks: That's another iconic character with a very distinctive voice. How would you write Khan if you were to take that character on?

Kurtzman: The whole reason we came to this idea of an alternative timeline was so that everyone could feel that canon was being respected while giving us freedom to have the future be unwritten. I think that leaves you as much or as little room for interpretation as you'd like in terms of some of the key characters.

Orci: I think if this works, it'll be because it sometimes does what would've happened in the other timeline, and it sometimes doesn't. It's sort of a harmony - and finding that right balance will the be key if we do it.

Anyway, I'm psyched for this Friday. Big Trek-type 'splosions in IMAX!!! :mad:

Heh. The Star Trek powers that be are fucking with you established fans just to get my monies. I should be flattered. Going to see this tonight with Shane under the premise that it's a sci-fi/action movie. Never seen any Star Trek, and if ever I was to, it'd be the original stuff. Can't fucking stand Patrick Stewart.

Can't fucking stand Patrick Stewart.

You heathen

Saw the movie tonight it was fucking brillaint, everything was spot on, all the actors captured who the characters were, to a t.

Great action, good comedic timing, good story, great acting.

Best Star Trek movie I've ever seen

7/10

Saw it, enjoyed it (despite the asshat sitting to my left that thought was acceptable to add a comment every now and then. This is Star Trek, not Rocky fucking Horror).

Though I must say that the very idea of a

Vulcan bully

seems illogical.

Saw it, enjoyed it (despite the asshat sitting to my left that thought was acceptable to add a comment every now and then. This is Star Trek, not Rocky fucking Horror).

Though I must say that the very idea of a

Vulcan bully

seems illogical.

So is the idea of somebody/something being born knowing everything.

Takes time to learn that shit Dawg :)

Though the flaring effects that were very common annoyed me a little!

Sounds like someone secretly wants the return of Lens Flare Theatre!

Just came back from watching it. With the Rottentomatoes rating of 96%, I went in expecting something Earth-shattering (

turns out Earth was spared, Vulcan-shattering will have to do

). It was really good and very good, but not as transcendent as I had hoped (after all, 96% is like, a rating reserved only for Pixar movies).

Overall, I like the new dynamic for the characters. Every character was very well played, and you can't go wrong with a hot and heavy make-out scene with a green chick.

Overall, I like the new dynamic for the characters. Every character was very well played, and you can't go wrong with a hot and heavy make-out scene with a green chick.

Green chick w/ red hair: if only her enormous green melons (punny.ha!) spouted out Guinness she'd be every Irishman's dream.

I loved the film. Seeing it in Imax was well worth the extra dough. The villain was a bit shallow (fans need to definitely read the comic prequels for the backstory on Nero & Spock) and I thought they had one speech too many explaining how this film is setting off events in an "alternate timeline" apart from the cannon established by the previous shows & films.

Did we really need Nimoy Spock & Quinto Spock meeting on film?

But this is a non-stop action film, and Simon Pegg's take on Scotty was brilliant. He came in at the right moment in the film and brings an excellent balance of levity.

As a Trek fan I'd be VERY pleased if we got 6 more films like this one out of this new cast.

I loves the Onion. "Rodenberry was some hack who made the show in like the 40's or something?"

This was indeed way better than it had business being, dont listen to jax's weird hate. Im actually excited for a franchise i previously had no real stock in, and yeah, the casting was all kindsa fun - newt spotted Eric Bana early on, Cylar was a better Spock than idve figured, and yeah, Simon Pegg stole the show for me. Best series relaunch since Bond, prolly stronger overall too.

Green chick w/ red hair: if only her enormous green melons (punny.ha!) spouted out Guinness she'd be every Irishman's dream.

I loved the film. Seeing it in Imax was well worth the extra dough. The villain was a bit shallow (fans need to definitely read the comic prequels for the backstory on Nero & Spock) and I thought they had one speech too many explaining how this film is setting off events in an "alternate timeline" apart from the cannon established by the previous shows & films.

Did we really need Nimoy Spock & Quinto Spock meeting on film?

But this is a non-stop action film, and Simon Pegg's take on Scotty was brilliant. He came in at the right moment in the film and brings an excellent balance of levity.

As a Trek fan I'd be VERY pleased if we got 6 more films like this one out of this new cast.

That was one thing that bugged me, actually. He came out of no where and is not accepted as crew with them knowing next to nothing about him, but was actually put in charge of engineering that quickly? WTF? Of course I could say the same about Kirk's (jr.) field promotion. Cadet on suspension to 2nd in command just like that?

That said, I really did like the movie.

Well the latter had to do with the former. Pike new Kirk's potential and trusted him as Second on the ship and did so, while Kirk (through Prime Spock) realized how great an asset and how much smarter Scotty was based on that formula. That, and Scotty was already part of Star Fleet.

see, that's way better than my answer of "he's simon fucking pegg, if it was my call, and dude wanted it, he could be on secret service for a day. did you not see shaun of the dead? what about spaced?"

There was not enough Scotty and I could've done without the chase scene on Hoth where the Wompa Beast got eaten by the red Cloverfield monster. The touch with the redshirt was very nice though, I enjoyed that especially.

I was also impressed they found an actor fuck-ugly enough to bear a resemblence to the original Doc McCoy. Kudos.

At the end of the movie the whole theatre applauded which I don't think I've seen since Xmen 1 and Almost Famous. Maybe Blade.

I had a buzz of good feelings for the rest of the night too.

There were logical and plot inconsistencies all over the movie, but they didn't pop out in my mind til AFTER the movie, so that means the movie was good at drawing you in and making you accept what's going on.

The villian was indeed underdeveloped, though I thought that bit about him being a simple miner and losing his wife went a long way to justifying him so that I wasn't too put off by not knowing more.

I love Harold, I mean Sulu, and his kick-ass 'fencing'

Chekov was always my crush on the original series, and he's just as cute here.

As for Scott being put in charge of the Enterprise engine room... The man figured out a way to beam aboard a spaceship moving at warp! I think Kirk putting him in charge of the ship is an easy choice, especially after it was already established on 'Hoth' that he was very familiar with the Enterprise's design.

Felt good to see Ben Cross in action as Sarek. He pulled it off great too. All the actors nailed their shit. Chris Pine managed to channel just enough Shatner to make it work without being hokey.

---------------------------------------------

All that said,,,

They blew up fucking Vulcan! Holy SHIT.

That was one thing that bugged me, actually. He came out of no where and is not accepted as crew with them knowing next to nothing about him, but was actually put in charge of engineering that quickly? WTF? Of course I could say the same about Kirk's (jr.) field promotion. Cadet on suspension to 2nd in command just like that?

That said, I really did like the movie.

Yeah, what archangel & JUmbie said. Kirk was (acting) captian by the point Scotty got on ship so it's not that big of a stretch to see Kirk putting him in charge of Engineering.

Also as far as Pike making Kirk 1st officer, totally believable.

Pike was the entire reason Kirk joined Starfleet!

Yes, much praise must be heaped on the new Bones--excellent origin for the nickname as well! I read that actor was one of the Rohan guys in LOTR; great actor b/c he was a totally convincing McCoy!

And how can we forget the sexiest xenolinguist ever. Ever. Can't find a decent pic of the new Uhura (Zoe Saldana) in her Starfleet uniform though. :(

At the end of the movie the whole theatre applauded which I don't think I've seen since Xmen 1 and Almost Famous. Maybe Blade.

I had a buzz of good feelings for the rest of the night too.

A couple of guys started that, but no one else joined in and it kinda ended quickly.

I love Harold, I mean Sulu, and his kick-ass 'fencing'

Yeah, awesome. ^_^

All that said,,,

They blew up fucking Vulcan! Holy SHIT.

I think 'imploded' might be a better term :p

Chekov was always my crush on the original series, and he's just as cute here.

Something about the way he says "wessels?"

One thing that bothered me: if red matter can create a black hole, why would it have to beat the center of a planet to engulf it? Wouldn't a black hole at the surface still suck up a planet like that? Make the whole drill thing some unnecessary.

Archived