Hondo's Bar

Green Lantern Movie

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im actually mystified how Mr Horse wasnt invoked in all our prior years.

i think a Powdered Toast Man in Crap Shack would balance out this wrong, though.

seriously - any plot details yet? he's gonna fight Sinestro, right? CURLEY MUSTACHE

• 4 months later...

link

Peter Sarsgaard is in negotiations to play the villain in "Green Lantern," Warner Bros.' big-budget, Martin Campbell-directed tentpole based on the DC Comics super hero.

Ryan Reynolds is starring as Hal Jordan, the test pilot who finds a downed spacecraft with a dying alien who passes him a powerful ring, introducing Jordan to a interstellar police force known as the Green Lanterns.

Sarsgaard will play Dr. Hector Hammond, the pathologist son of a senator who is seen as a disappointment in his father's eyes. He becomes infused with psychic powers when he discovers a meteor.

Is there some humourous aspect to Jordan I've never seen? Every time I've read anything on the guy he's all gritted teeth this and noble that. Seems a bit too boyscout-ey for even Fillion. And Reynolds as Allen kinda waitasecond! We're talking about GL here! When Flash gets greenlit for a movie you can start trynna poach Reynolds then. Far as I'm concerned, he should just be made to wear the Deadpool suit 24/7 and a camera team should follow him until his death.

From Speed Force, who quotes Hollywood Reporter:

July 19, 2009

Geoff Johns Named Producer on Flash Movie

Category: Flash News — Kelson @ 9:09 pm The Hollywood Reporter has a run-down of upcoming DC movie adaptations.

This past fall, Warners quietly hired three of DC's biggest writers — Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison and Marv Wolfman — to act as consultants and writers for its superhero line of movies. The move involved taking back the reins on projects being handled by such producers as Charles Roven ("The Flash") and Akiva Goldsman ("Teen Titans").

Hmm, remember how Grant Morrison couldn't talk about a Flash movie? It goes on:

The moves have begun to pay off. Johns worked up a new treatment for a "Flash" script, being written by Dan Mazeau; Johns will act in a producer capacity on the project, which has not attached a director.

We'd heard rumors about the Dan Mazeau script before, but nothing official.

But a Geoff Johns story treatment — and producer credit? That should make a lot of Flash fans happy. Not only does Johns have a well-regarded and successful run on The Flash from the first half of this decade, he also has the high-profile Flash: Rebirth.

I wonder if we were all looking in the wrong direction. Maybe this is the Flash news that Geoff Johns was hinting at last week.

I wonder if this counts as a Cue Cullen moment?

Is there some humourous aspect to Jordan I've never seen? Every time I've read anything on the guy he's all gritted teeth this and noble that.

Well he is a huge womanizer and a bit of a cocky bastard. Fillion could work with it, and whoever said Kyle Ryner? No. Sam Worthington would make a good Kyle Rayner, know why? Because he's unremarkable, boring, and has all the emotion of a piece of wood propped against a dumpster. Just like Kyle Rayner.

If we want to tap Ryan Reynold's potential for hilarity, then I recommend Guy Garnder sans bowl-cut.

He's boring. He spends his entire time either whining or trying to figure out things that are obvious with endless text bubbles that span on for pages. I find John Stewart a more dynamic character and he went from a blaxploitation cash in to the one lantern that only makes cameos every few months to fulfill DC's contract for owning him.

Boo Kyle Rayner.

I don't know, the JLA cartoon did a pretty decent job with Stewart and in the brief times he's popped up in the Green Lantern book he's been pretty okay. There's potential there, just nobody seems to want to do anything with it.

In as many words, yes. Kyle is a whining simpering Generation X trope with a bad haircut, a stupid mask, and more baggage than the cargo area of a 747. When he's not busy crying about whatever insignificant problem is on his mind he's busy doing more inner monologue than The Punisher in an issue of Sin City. And the thing is, there's no substance, he'll spend twelve pages flying around doing nothing all whilst being introspective about the exact same thing for 12 paragraphs in a row that all basically say the same thing.

Of course, my favorite example of why Kyle sucks as opposed to Hal, John, or Guy is I have an issue of Batman from the 90s. (It wasn't the core book and it wasn't The Brave and the Bold, it was a bunch of team-ups: Oracle and Man-Bat, Huntress and Question, and the cover team-up was Batman and Kyle Rayner.) Anyhow, at the beginning of this book we see a beefed up version of Biff Tannen from Back to the Future steal an old lady's broach. Kyle springs into action but he can't use his ring because people are watching, so he rips the license plate off and gives the number to Martian Manhunter on their moon base thing so he can figure out where it went.

Well apparently Biff and his pals spirited off to Gotham City so Kyle flys on over there and runs smack-dab into Batman. Batman tells him to leave, Kyle says no, so Batman steals his ring and tells him he'll get it back when he's done. So, not to be thwarted by the lack of the ring, Kyle sets out in his green lantern duds to stop Biff and get this poor woman's brooch back.

Kyle follows Biff to an old abandoned warehouse (as if there's any other buildings in Gotham City) and lo and behold, Biff is working for some crime family. So Kyle sneaks along the catwalks, slips on something or another and falls on his ass in front of about 2 dozen armed men. There's a guy in the back with a mullet, Ray Charles glasses, and a stupid mustache that's shaking his head in disappointment. Turns out that that guy is Batman in the worst disguise ever.

Whilst the gangsters are trying to figure out why a moron with 5 pounds of green metal inexplicably attached to his face is laying on their floor, Batman disrobes and takes on all these guys as he's wont to do. But, oh no, Biff's running away! And he has the brooch!

Kyle gives chase, runs out into the alley after Biff, takes a beating that even the hero of a noir movie would cringe at. Throws a few punches and gets strangled until he passes out. When he wakes up, Biff is unconscious and he has the brooch, and Batman says "You did good kid" and gives him his ring back. It's supposed to be implied that Kyle somehow managed to choke Biff unconscious at the same time but personally I think Batman just knocked him out to make Kyle feel better Rawhide Kid style.

Now, compare that to Hal, who escaped a Eastern European prison camp with no ring and he kind of looks like a giant pussy. No?

Archived