Hondo's Bar

Green Lantern Movie

could very well be, i'm not even looking at into anymore on any of them since they're getting closer. i do echo jax's sentiments on GL though - the lack of marketing on WB's part has been bothering me; not expecting bat-hype but after the superbowl commercial, it's seemed scarce, like they don't have faith in the product.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that order seems about right as far as what i'm expecting my fave superhero films to be this summer. i'm hoping gl will outshine them all (pun!), but i'm not too optimistic that'll be the case at this point. i'm not so sure x-man and gl will be that far behind the two avengers films in terms of quality either. first class could be the dark horse that blows them all outta the water...

Totally right. Can't speak from a pop culture standpoint, but any movie set in the 60's is already ahead in my mind, even on a Ryan Reynolds movie. As for Cap then Thor, I'd be interested to meet anyone who'd want Thor more than Cap.

Pleased to meet you.

It's not that I'm not excited about Cap, it's just I haven't seen anything definitively great other than Hugo Weaving's Red Skull make-up, wheras Thor is dripping with Jack Kirby fanservice and that pleases me more than it really should. Plus it has a morbidly obese Ray Stevenson as Volstagg and that really is pretty fucking amazing.

...and Romans...

Well depending on the era, that's not wholly inaccurate, but yes.

could very well be, i'm not even looking at into anymore on any of them since they're getting closer. i do echo jax's sentiments on GL though - the lack of marketing on WB's part has been bothering me; not expecting bat-hype but after the superbowl commercial, it's seemed scarce, like they don't have faith in the product.

I'd say that's likely inaccurate. GL is WB's hope at setting up a new franchise. I doubt it's lack of faith. The Superman casting is being pushed/hyped a bit, but pretty much all the Batman stuff is fan driven.

Maybe WB is just saving ad dollars for closer to the June 17 release date. If they made a big push now it'd likely get lost among all the other May release films. There's a new GL toyline based on the comics that came out not too long ago. I'm sure movie figs will hit shelves sometime in May...

As for Cap then Thor, I'd be interested to meet anyone who'd want Thor more than Cap.

I don't think there's something fundamental about any Thor movie that makes it better than any Cap movie, I just think this Thor movie looks better than this Cap movie.

Pleased to meet you.

It's not that I'm not excited about Cap, it's just I haven't seen anything definitively great other than Hugo Weaving's Red Skull make-up, wheras Thor is dripping with Jack Kirby fanservice and that pleases me more than it really should. Plus it has a morbidly obese Ray Stevenson as Volstagg and that really is pretty fucking amazing.

That statement makes sense, i guess.

I don't think there's something fundamental about any Thor movie that makes it better than any Cap movie, I just think this Thor movie looks better than this Cap movie.

But this needs to be qualified. You don't strike me as a Kirby fan though.

Hi. I'm a life long comic book fan. No bullshit. For serious. I can list an embarrassing amount of facts and statistics, especially concerning the Marvel universe.

I have never read an issue of Captain America. Not. A. One. I have tried to care less about Captain America, I just can't. Sorry. I always thought Captain Propaganda should have remained a shameful testament to the Golden Age.

I've heard the fanboy talk, I'm not saying the book is shit. That would be a baseless assumption on my part.

I've read plenty of Avengers books though, I guess that kinda counts?

So yeah, I'm way more interested in Thor. :2T:

The movie very well might be cool, but I usually wait for things on DVD anyway. Not really a big fan of the theater, I've gotta be super psyched about something to go see it when it first comes out. Probably the only way I won't end up seeing it is if it's just universally reviled, which I can already tell it won't be.

I was in a pretty similar situation with Iron Man (except I had at least read all the 60's stuff and Extremis), I was very "meh" about the whole idea and I now own that movie.

See, I was ready to defend the more organic/alien/painted on looking suit. Makes a sort of sense. But toes? TOES?

/mr.horse (make us a smiley, Nza)

If we can see his abs and toes rippling, why the hell doesn't he have a curled up bratwurst on his crotch?

I've also never accepted the notion that a little eyemask is going to conceal your identity. NEWE (Not Even Will Eisner)

I can live with it, but have the tact to not call attention to it by having lanky aliens actually referring to the eyemask as a legitimate way to be anonymous. It's fucking absurd. If it were that easy, I wouldn't have gotten those rape convictions.

See, I was ready to defend the more organic/alien/painted on looking suit. Makes a sort of sense. But toes? TOES?

/mr.horse (make us a smiley, Nza)

co-signed on mr. horse smiley

If we can see his abs and toes rippling, why the hell doesn't he have a curled up bratwurst on his crotch?

suit shrinkage maybe?

I've also never accepted the notion that a little eyemask is going to conceal your identity. NEWE (Not Even Will Eisner)

I can live with it, but have the tact to not call attention to it by having lanky aliens actually referring to the eyemask as a legitimate way to be anonymous. It's fucking absurd. If it were that easy, I wouldn't have gotten those rape convictions.

How long does someone get for raping a donkey anyway, Logan? My. um, friend wants to know. :shady:

Archived