Hondo's Bar

Green Lantern Movie

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gene clearly uses something more sophisticated than MS Paint. Sometimes I think you people don't even know me.

/sob

/run out of room

/slam door

/wait patiently on the other side for someone to come console me.

I totally want to play though.

This film made me GREEN with illness, it took a lanTURN for the worse when Ryan Reynolds opened his mouth. This ring thing must have taken a swing to the garbage wing! PEE-YEW! I hope this review HALps somebody, I JOR do wish I DANdn't have to see it!

:suicide:

Based on the internet, you’d think that Green Lantern was the worst movie since Batman & Robin. Thankfully it isn’t. It’s one of the most faithful comic-to-screen adaptations ever, and if you read Geoff Johns’ awesome run on Green Lantern over the decade; you’ll probably really like the movie. Here are a few reasons why Green Lantern definitely does not suck.

1. Sinestro

If you’re familiar with the Green Lantern comics you know who Sinestro becomes. Despite what many people have been saying, the seeds for that turn are placed throughout the first movie. It’s pretty blatant in fact when Sinestro begs the Guardians to craft a yellow ring so he could fight fear with fear. He craved the power, and the pay off is one of the coolest credit Easter Eggs ever in a comic book movie.

2. This is Hal Jordan

Initially I was worried about Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan. His wisecracking persona is much better fit to Barry Allen for The Flash, but he proved me wrong with completely nailing every element of Hal Jordan. There’s the cocky pilot on Earth, the hero when he pulls Abin Sur from his ship, and the Lantern who’s not afraid to talk back to the Guardians and put them in their place. That Hal from the comics is right there on screen.

3. The Suit

I initially hated the movie design of the suit. Leading up to the movie I avoided the film version of the Green Lantern action figures and the DC Direct busts because I just didn’t like how the suit looked. But seeing it in motion in the film, and especially how the Ring energy interacts with it; it’s extremely cool and I understand the design decisions. It works so much better than a plain spandex style suit would in live action and I liked every chance the movie gave to see the suit.

4. Constructs

The Ring’s constructs play a major part in the comics, and while there was initially some worry that they’d be toned down in the movie; the reality is that they’re all over the film. When Hal saves the day about halfway through the movie to reveal himself as Green Lantern on Earth, the constructs he makes are the elaborate type you expect to see after reading the comics. They’re as key to the movie as the suit is.

5. It’s Faithful to the Comics

Aside from some minor changes to save excess explanation, the lore of the movie is extremely faithful to the comics. Oa, Kilowog, Tomar-Re, the Guardians, and all of the Green Lantern Corps (aside from Guy, Kyle, and John) are here and if you’re familiar with the books you’ll love seeing it realized on screen.

3. The Suit

I initially hated the movie design of the suit. Leading up to the movie I avoided the film version of the Green Lantern action figures and the DC Direct busts because I just didn’t like how the suit looked. But seeing it in motion in the film, and especially how the Ring energy interacts with it; it’s extremely cool and I understand the design decisions. It works so much better than a plain spandex style suit would in live action and I liked every chance the movie gave to see the suit.

4. Constructs

The Ring’s constructs play a major part in the comics, and while there was initially some worry that they’d be toned down in the movie; the reality is that they’re all over the film. When Hal saves the day about halfway through the movie to reveal himself as Green Lantern on Earth, the constructs he makes are the elaborate type you expect to see after reading the comics. They’re as key to the movie as the suit is.

I'll give you these two points. I HATED everything about the suit from promos, trailers, stills etc, and I think it worked VERY WELL. In fact, now, I don't think the suit could have worked any better than it did in the film. As far as constructs are concerned, I'm not crazy about them period, in the comics or otherwise, so I can't really fault their use in the movie. The very concept itself, in my opinion, is difficult to do right and way too easy to do wrong.

1. Sinestro

If you’re familiar with the Green Lantern comics you know who Sinestro becomes. Despite what many people have been saying, the seeds for that turn are placed throughout the first movie. It’s pretty blatant in fact when Sinestro begs the Guardians to craft a yellow ring so he could fight fear with fear. He craved the power, and the pay off is one of the coolest credit Easter Eggs ever in a comic book movie.

5. It’s Faithful to the Comics

Aside from some minor changes to save excess explanation, the lore of the movie is extremely faithful to the comics. Oa, Kilowog, Tomar-Re, the Guardians, and all of the Green Lantern Corps (aside from Guy, Kyle, and John) are here and if you’re familiar with the books you’ll love seeing it realized on screen.

I couldn't disagree with you more on these two points. Being faithful to the comics does not make a film good. Just because anyone who reads the comics knows Sinestro is bad does not excuse his "transition" in the film. Why didn't they have a post credits scene with Hal suddenly becoming Parallax and killing off the corp because hey, we all know that happens in the comics too.

They led into the Sinestro bit based on 3 facts introduced in the movie:

1) We know that the yellow force has a "the one ring" alluring quality to it, it's why the guardian who became Parallax was drawn to it initially.

2) Sinestro advocated the use of and even made a yellow ring specifically so the corp could be stronger. His reason at the time was that it as to defeat Parallax, but those of us who know the mythology know he's a tyrant to his own people so his motivations are no doubt more power hungry. It's called foreshadowing, just because we know what's going to happen doesn't make it bad storytelling.

3) Combining facts 2 and 3 you can assume he would use it anyway despite the reason he claimed to want it for to be moot.

BONUS ROUND 4) Dude's fucking name is Sinestro. If I'm watching a movie and a character is named Baron Eville Von Monstercunte I can safely assume that he'll probably be a bad guy at some point.

Stupid movies and people who don't know what Sinister means are just case-building for sterilisation of stupid/poor people.

Having said that I've DLed a decent enough cam of this and plan to check it out tonight.

^that shit kills me, jay. i see "THOR 2011 TS QUALITY" - that's telesync, or cam'd, for you actual consumers - and remember watching too many bootlegs with my boy from homestead. have they actually gotten better? i mostly just wait for the early DVD rip, but i do miss out here & there.

i miss the days of 2007--9 when dvd screeners were more plentiful

Where was the foreshadowing? Sinestro didn't even twirl his mustache once! All I'm asking for is one mustache twirl!!

(paraphrasing)

Sinestro: "Hey, Guardian dudes? Remember how that one Guardian tried to use the yellow power to protect the universe but instead just got really super evil and became a world destroying monster-cloud that everyone's afraid of? Well, and I'm just throwing this out there, why don't we make a ring out of that same unstoppable evil force that I can use to defeat that guy? Sound good?"

I wouldn't blame you for missing that bit of foreshadowing if it didn't unzip its pants and rub its sweaty nutsack all over your face.

*siiiiiigh* He's obviously under the influence of Parallax just like Hammond was, thus causing him to suggest something like this, did you not notice how out of the big group that attacked he was the only one to survive? Do you think this was a coincidence? It's like the killer sitting up in the ambulance at the end of the movie, the way they say "They haven't quite won yet." It's an extremely common element in all manner of fiction, bad writing would have been if he'd been a sniveling obviously evil fuck the whole time.

*siiiiiigh* He's obviously under the influence of Parallax just like Hammond was, thus causing him to suggest something like this, did you not notice how out of the big group that attacked he was the only one to survive? Do you think this was a coincidence? It's like the killer sitting up in the ambulance at the end of the movie, the way they say "They haven't quite won yet." It's an extremely common element in all manner of fiction, bad writing would have been if he'd been a sniveling obviously evil fuck the whole time.

His name IS Sinestro... whatever that means...

Don't blame the movie for that, blame the 1950s, shit was crazy. Despite his name and his wicked evil-stache/widow's peak combo he acted rather against type and was all heroic and stuff in fact I can pinpoint where in the movie he fell under Parallax's influence because that was when he started getting shiftier but even then he isn't really overt with it for the rest of the movie.

• 3 months later...

Yes... this guy belongs here.

heh...poignant.

okay so i'm way late to the party but the party really wasn't good.

the logic behind most of what the guardians did is one tier of stupidity above Weapon X's reasons for giving :wolvy: metal in Origins. almost nothing they did, from trapping a powerful enemy in six inches of dirt to forging their undoing to leaving that shit lying around afterwards, made sense.

Deadpool wasn't a great Hal. a lot of Hammond's delivery was not good. I wasn't made to care about most people on screen, and events seemed to happen and just rush along as if i wasn't supposed to. literally the best moments for me were during Kilwog's training, and that was way too brief - he and Sinestro were absolute highlights. i too dont think shit has to be super-faithful, but emo "im taking my ball & going home" Hal was really off for me, though newt had a harder time with the constant "you must be a man without FEAR" thing rather than just pushing past it like he did.

if i had to put it on a scale of modern comic flicks, its above Wolvy Origins (STILL FLAWLESS THOUGH) and below Ang Lee's Hulk which was crappy but at least gave me like 10 minutes of him fighting tanks in the desert (what i came to see) which is longer than i got of Hal doing things that were cool. what the movie did accomplish, however, was make me kinda wanna play the game and get an easy achievement for punching Parallax into the sun.

like Daredevil, my boy GL deserved way better. I honestly think if done right, this couldve been DC's # 2 property, currently i dont even know how it stacks up to Superman.

like Daredevil, my boy GL deserved way better. I honestly think if done right, this couldve been DC's # 2 property, currently i dont even know how it stacks up to Superman.

The next Supes movie should be better than the last based on nothing else than the fact that Nolan is involved. I still think that anyone who watches the 2009 animated direct-to-DVD Wonder Woman movie has to agree that that property could produce a kickass flick if it was only half as good.

my man space is writing some serious shit right now!

yeah, i can't argue that point - WW animated, again, was way better than it had any right to be.

you've reminded me, i gotta watch the 2 GL animated films now to redeem my boy.

Archived