Hondo's Bar

Green Lantern Movie

I fully anticipate Green Lantern to sucj=k balls when it hits AU theatres Aug 4.

I have an idea, but need someone with the photochops to make it real, and it might be serviceable(at least better than Jax's pervy HBagina one).

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from this, it's not anywhere near Rotten Tomatoes' 20%, out of 100 I'd give it a 65-70%. It's not as good as Iron-Man, The Dark Knight, Spider-Man, X-Men 2, Hellboy, or Thor but it is better than the first X-Men and about on par with The Incredible Hulk.

I hope DC at least makes a cursory attempt to string their universe together because if they throw in Amanda Waller for a glorified cameo they better pay that shit forward. It was also cool spotting famous lanterns from the comics in the crowd, Amber gave me a weird look when I excitedly exclaimed "Bzz'd!" Sadly no Mogo, but I could see them saving that one for the sequel.

It was a worthwhile experience, not bad by any means but not quite the life-changing experience it could be but I think that's largely because the bar has been raised so high in the last few years. If something like this had followed Tim Burton's stupid ass movie then it would've changed the world.

Saw the film and it's definitely not as bad as the "lame-stream" (Thanks Sara Palin!) media would have you believe. It's certainly no worse than the latest Pirates film. I'd say Baytor putting it on par w/ Hulk is fair. I might even put it at a notch above Superman Returns. The film was best when it dealt w/ the GL Corps and if they do make a sequel (obvious set-up for that in the credits) then they'd do best to focus on that rather than solely on Ryan Reynolds Hal Jordan. I was also pleased w/ the CGI (a worry I had after seeing the trailers) and I'm glad I saw it in 3D.

Any GL fan should be satisfied w/ this as long as they go in knowing it's not going to be a DK, Iron Man, or X2.

I know anything that's not Gaga sounds the same to you, but Grunge/Seattle grunge is a completely different sound and a somewhat different mentality too. I bet you think PJ & Soundgarden are punk too, you adorable little pisher.

No, putting Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, & Nirvana in the same musical genre just because they come from the same city/geographic region is ridiculously lazy and ignorant. Nirvana was the evolution or at the very least an adaptation of the punk rock genre (hence my use of "technically" in my prior statement). :2T:

No, putting Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, & Nirvana in the same musical genre just because they come from the same city/geographic region is ridiculously lazy and ignorant. Nirvana was the evolution or at the very least an adaptation of the punk rock genre (hence my use of "technically" in my prior statement). :2T:

Grunge originated in Seattle and was carried into the mainstream on the backs of these three key acts. Yes it's the evolution, but we don't call monkeys humans now do we? Different genre, similar spirit.

Grunge originated in Seattle and was carried into the mainstream on the backs of these three key acts. Yes it's the evolution, but we don't call monkeys humans now do we? Different genre, similar spirit.

Why is it that Nirvana, PJ and SG are always the three Seattle groups that people say were the mainstream breakouts from that scene, but Alice In Chains isn't. Is it people's obsession with things coming in 3's? AIC has sold more records than SG.

Anyway, reviews I've read say the movie is heavy on exposition, every character has daddy issues, and they try to throw too much at the viewer in too short a time span, and as a result of trying to cram so much in, don't get any single part right. As of now, I still haven't seen Super 8, Kung Fu Panda 2, and Cars 2 is coming up next week, so I've got several movies I'd rather see before GL.

I don't think it's so much they tried to cram too much in as they just seeded stuff for the future. They reveal Hal's problems with his father's death as the comic did so he can use the ring to overcome these fears, he doesn't entirely do it but he's on his way. Hector Hammonds daddy issues are a bit less complex and dealt with fully. They reveal Amanda Waller's tragic past in a brief flashback when Hammond touches her but it's more to do with showing of his powers and hopefully seeding the character for future films. Otherwise that's all the flashbacks we see.

Why is it that Nirvana, PJ and SG are always the three Seattle groups that people say were the mainstream breakouts from that scene, but Alice In Chains isn't. Is it people's obsession with things coming in 3's? AIC has sold more records than SG.

Yeah Alice In Chains were better than all three put together imo, though, even though they rose from that scene I wouldn't call 'em grunge, metal if anything.

Probably, I haven't listened to a lot of 'em though. 3's a good number when providing examples and whatnot. Better than 2, and if i listened to more AIC and could use them as a sharp stick to bust Haku's little thing, I would. Just stressing the line between punk and grunge here, not debating the better examples.

How would you guys compare the lantern movie to either of the animated ones? Because I'm sitting on those wondering if I should watch 'em, but not wanting them to be better than the movie.

Yeah Alice In Chains were better than all three put together imo

pearl jam you can have, nirvana/soundgarden? fuck outta here with these subjective opinions! :2T:

gotta admit, after the dismal reviews, i was pretty worried we were in matrix: revolutions territory here (or where lesser men put perfection like :wolvy: origins :arty: ), but it sounds alright so far. i do wish space would summon the courage to put his thoughts down here as well, but im at least interested again.

pearl jam you can have, nirvana/soundgarden? fuck outta here with these subjective opinions! :2T:

Wait, this is the same Eamonn who ranks Audioslave over Rage AND Soundgarden. I shouldn't have brought it up around him.

I do wish space would summon the courage to put his thoughts down here as well

Sorry I haven't had the chance to post my thoughts yet, but here we go. I caught the midnight showing with Panch, and I'm not sure if we even saw the same movie :2T: . I don't think it deserves a 20% as Rotten Tomatoes suggests, yet on some level, I despise it more than Wolverine: Origins and yes even Jonah Hex.

I really hated the Green Lantern movie I saw. It is a strange hate though, all the things I thought would be bad actually worked well (the organic suit and mask mostly) but there were a TON of things which bothered me that I wasn't expecting. The pacing and editing were TERRIBLE. Sometimes strange cuts were subtle and not a big deal, but there are many other times in the film where it's down right jarring. There were a number of scenes and transitions which were so disjointed I thought I had fallen asleep and missed something.

Initially, I thought the movie felt like a Syfy original picture, but I feel that might have been a little too harsh. No, a more accurate way to describe how this film feels is to say it completely and totally ignores the "Comic Book film Renaissance" of the last 11 years or so. Ignoring the special effects (which vacillate between breathtaking and laughable), Green Lantern feels like it came right out of the early 90s (It kinda felt like Meteor Man, or Blank Man or one of those "super-hero" movies from back then). All the staples are there, but it just felt so hollow to me. It's like they had a bullet list of everything people wanted to see in a Green Lantern movie and just went down the list:

Sinestro, check.

Power Rings, check.

Parallax, check.

Kilowog, check.

Tomar-Re, check.

The Oath, check and check.

Green shit, check, check, check, check etc.

Absolutely nothing resonates though.

Look, I know the importance of the Oath, I know what it means and represents. I know what the Corps stands for and does. Did the movie illustrate any of those things? No.

Example 1:

One of my favorite scenes in the movie is during the fight with Parallax. Hal is down, barely holding back Parallax. Parallax is going on about how he's gonna kill everybody, and inter cut with Parallax's boasting, Hal's whispering the oath. I actually saw this scene before watching the movie and thought it was really powerful. That's because out of context, my mind was filling in the gaps. In context, this same scene COMPLETELY falls flat.

Example 2: (Major Spoiler!!)

Mid credits we are 'treated' to Sinestro putting on a yellow ring. Look, we all knew it was coming right? Bad-ass right? Green Lantern 2 baby!! Sinestro Corps!! Woo!! Yeah, except the Sinestro wonderfully portrayed by Mark Strong in the film had no worldly reason what-so-ever to put that fucking ring on. None.

I could go on, but this pretty much touches on the things I found most egregious in Green Lantern. It's sad that the ONE property outside of Batman and Supes which had the potential to catch the public imagination and become a really big thing was handled so poorly.

It was pretty good...if you wanted a precursor to a real GL movie. I felt like I was watching a really long prologue to something better, and I just don't know how needed Parallax was as the final boss of the picture.

In other news, this is how to watch it: Me in my Kyle Rayner shirt, my friend Scott in his Blue lantern shirt, and 100oz of Margarita between us. (Pre movie watching)

imagejpeg953.jpg

Archived