Hondo's Bar

Comic book BLARGH

Thelogan

Fuck yeah. That's now on the list.

Kati wanted Rorschak, but she's not properly keeping in mind that it's gonna be all cartoony. Although I would like to see his version, I don't want to pay for it.

Walter from The Big Lebowski is also in mind, I bet he'd be cool with it.

I say around the time Neal Adam took over the book.

Yeah, I bet you're totally right.

The O'Neil/Adams issues were the first Batman books that I found readable. I only read scattered reprints here and there before that, and it was all pretty much standard mainstream Golden Age fare (and by that I mean retarded) and post comics code Silver Age wacky nonsense.

Ehhhhh, on the surface, it seems dickish, but I think that's because they want to foster that illusion.

DC doesn't give credit for unsold copies. They already made their money off the retailers when they purchased the order. All this really does is possibly create less available back issues of those titles, and possibly more shelf space.

If anything, it could potentially help DC, supply and demand and what not. If millions of copies of the Jim Lee X-Men #1 were ripped to pieces, maybe all of us would have a comic that was actually worth something :2T:

Ehhhhh, on the surface, it seems dickish, but I think that's because they want to foster that illusion.

DC doesn't give credit for unsold copies. They already made their money off the retailers when they purchased the order. All this really does is possibly create less available back issues of those titles, and possibly more shelf space.

If anything, it could potentially help DC, supply and demand and what not. If millions of copies of the Jim Lee X-Men #1 were ripped to pieces, maybe all of us would have a comic that was actually worth something :2T:

So very, very true. Ditto for X-Force #1. My middle-school self was so sure those would ensure my early retirement.:cry:

And w/ these unsold books likely ending up in the quarter box 6 months from now, retailers might actually break even if this variant turns out to actually be worth something. But somehow I doubt many people will be clamoring for a Fear Itself #6 variant. :bored:

So very, very true. Ditto for X-Force #1. My middle-school self was so sure those would ensure my early retirement.:cry:

You and every other comic book kid of our generation. The companies banked on our ignorance, with their variants and Reign of the Supermen die cut covers and shit. It never occurred to us that our parents books were worth a lot because so many people fuckin' threw 'em away when they were done, like a newspaper.

Low and behold, two decades later no one wants to buy your super all-five-cover foldout X-Men #1, because they already have 5 copies.

:lush: i remember in the mid-90s i was trying to hijack my private school carpool to stop off at a now-non-existent comic shop, right? not for comics, mind, because i savored a trip on the bus to a real shop every wednesday with my boys (even if i had to put it off till the weekend), but i wanted my silly-ass kubert brothers chromium x-men cards.

so yeah, this fat kid whose rich-ass parents were all up ons prospecting asked me, should i buy spawn # 1, or this spectacular spidey # 200 something where ben reilly took over, which will put my kids in college? i replied OF COURSE THE SPIDER-MAN, THIS SHIT'S HUGE MAN and got (rightfully) mocked by comic book guy cashier, but you know what?

due to overprinting, we were both equally right/wrong. they're both close to equally worthless a decade and a half later, and if that fat bastard wants to put his grandkids through college on either, he better be hoping for Waterworld, in which case even if i die and he still as them, i win cause he has to drink his own piss.

Speaking of gross green liquids. I see your card set w/ a PRIME #1 autographed by Norm Breyfogle himself!

One of 25,000 official sets containing the complete 150 card set, 4 exclusive bonus cards, certificate & Jin Shooter certificate.

Ah, Jin. I'm so sad he never made it off that island w/ his wife.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

I don't think I actually read an issue of Prime. I saw the cartoon though. Scrawny kid with the ability to wrap himself in goo that looks like a very vascular and misproportioned alpha male, amiright?

It does seem to be more thinly veiled than the standard escapist fantasy. But it was the 90's. Kids love veins.

Never heard of ZOT or the 24/hour contest. Is that still a thing people do?

PS

You should definitely start a thread in Fantastic Forum about exposing your kids to the comics you like/love. You and Dr. Chikins both, I'm sure, have some great stories about introducing your kids to comics and how they reacted to them. Also, y'all could give advice on which comics to introduce at which age--ya know, some advice for future geek parents like Kertins-n-Nick.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

That is fucking SWEET! If I could draw, I'd so do that! It looks like a really cool way to meet and network w/ local artists. But I've never heard of that before, so maybe it is a SW region thing. Any MIA ppl heard of it before?

And it's too bad it's in Oct. and not during the summer during possible HCON2. Maybe we could do something like this as a Hondonian group project though. I think that'd be cool if we could do an anthology or something, ya know, tangible and creative as a group...