Hondo's Bar

Prometheus

I'm with Jizzer all the way. Loved this movie. I can't wait to see where they take this new franchise.

<p>There's a number of directions they can go with this. Shaw and David's next adventure will take place on the same planet, with them trying to find a way off with them leaving at the end. Also could give a clearer "this is how Alien started" thing since there are other ships with the possibility of more Space Jockeys. <br></p><p><br></p><p>Another more indirect way is an entire Alien reboot. Maybe the Xenomorph at the end was the Alien queen, but redesigned for a series reboot. I get that the Xenos take on dna property of their "parents", but this one looked too different. </p>

All this talk of

Alien reboots

is going to make me very violent. Is nothing sacred anymore?

Thought about it a bit more and here are a few theories regarding the Engineers plans...

Opening Scene: We're all agreed that was the actual creation of mankind, right? Why did the Engineers create us? I've a theory on that I'll get to shortly.

Thoughts on the black goo: Just like Capt. Stringer Bell said, it's an engineered bio-weapon. Now, did it originate from an actual species or was it purely created by the Engineers? I've no idea, but I think the chamber w/ the giant head and the Alien Queen mural was the original lab or whatever that produced all those canisters for the "U" space ships. Somehow in transit to the ships the black ooze mutated, "got out," and infected the entire facility. The effect of the ooze on the Engineers ultimately resulted in their heads/brains exploding. My guess is the Engineer w/ the severed head was trying to get into that room b/c it was sealed off and safe from this mutated ooze. Thus, when the chamber was opened by David, the air changed the murals and the canisters started leaking.

Why did the Engineers make humans? They were growing an army. Humans weren't the army--we're the hosts for the army. The Engineers knew what would happen if they were impregnated with ooze infected sperm--a "Queen Face-Hugger" gets made. So they made mini-clones of themselves w/ which they were going to use to grow their army of xenomorphs/aliens. David knew this to some degree. That malevolent bastard could literally read the writing on the wall of that facility. He knew what he was doing when he spiked that drink. He wanted Shaw pregnant and in stasis so he could deliver that face hugging fucker to Earth to wipe out his "parents"--humanity. When Shaw cut it out of herself, he went to plan B and got that Engineer awake and the ship launched.

Why did the engineers need an army? Who the hell knows, to fight the Predators? wink.gif My guess is we'll find out if there's ever a sequel. I don't think all the Engineers are dead. I think they knew how deadly that black ooze was to them and just stayed the fuck away from that planet after shit hit the fan.

Goddamn. Finding it hard to find a flaw with that theory. Makes a lot of sense to me.

That Jesus theory is bullshit. Jon (Spacecowboy) and I were talking about this very thing and I refuse to believe it. As far as other theories, I like the Space Jockey vs Engineer one. It was the religious Engineers that wanted to create life and the aggressive Space Jockey that wanted to destroy it. The Engineers rebelled and created life on Earth anyway. The planet with the huge faces being their sacred ground. Hence all the references to it on Earth. The Space Jockeys then killed them and started creating a biological weapon to wipe what they did out, taking their sacred place and making it a staging area for an attack. Shit backfired and they were killed... except one.

This also has merit.

Edited by crimsonfire

I now know the ENTIRE plot of this movie. Sounds pretty cool to me.

Put yer spoilers in a sack, Johnny Spoiler. I'm gonna click our shit. I AM GOING TO CLICK YOUR SHIT!

I even google image searched what certain things look like. I'm a masochistic fuck when I've been drinking.

THIS MOVIE LOOKS BADASS!

One of my biggest grips was how they handled Weyland. We only get a hint of it from the TED viral video, but in the Alien universe, Peter Weyland is the most accomplished and influential human being in the entireity of human history. No one else even comes close. Dude single handedly took humanity from a Type 0 to a Type I (or arguably Type II) galactic civilization. And Prometheus makes him into a Scooby Doo Villian. To quote Panch when I told him this: "It was Old Man Weyland the whole time!"

man, panch was right - you're too harsh on some details, and this one feels like just bustin' balls!

not to bite the wiki too hard, but he's an old man with a god complex that wants answers, reassurance and maybe the fountain of youth. i dont even know what he did villainous here, he was mostly just desperate.

also, i liked haku's answers in that post a few pages back, gonna haku him a +1 for it. i too was having a hard time of the particular plothole of alpha albinos make humans, track earth to shoot with giant giger cockgun, lose control of alien-juice, wait till humans arrive and then it's time to smash, etc. i was telling jax & kertins that - and not to make shit too binary here, but - i guess it's better if the engineer or whatever you guys are calling them didn't speak rather than cheezing it up like ID4, but yeah, the motive (or lack of) felt really convoluted and dr. doom like, but i think haku's answer works in an Earth X kind've way.

i enjoyed it, magneto's a great actor who of course stole the show, lotta great casting & great homage about, and charlize theron should be cast as zero suit Samus if there's a Metroid movie. ps wiki points out that her use of "father" points to either magneto coming from her DNA, or they're both droids: which do you think it is?

Like I told Nick last night, 'half-baked' is too strong a term for this movie, but I think '85%-90% baked' might be about right. I like it when a movie doesn't spell everything out for you and there are some gaps you have to fill in yourself with your own imagination and speculation that you can debate with your friends, but I think this movie leaves too many stones unturned, too much ambiguity. You're left wondering if it was brilliant because of what was left unsaid, or just poorly written. All the component parts of the movie worked really well, but I didn't feel like it had a cohesive thread running though all the plot to tie it together by the end. If it had, I really think everything else in the movie was there necessary to elevate this movie to the status of modern sci-fi classic. To counter Nick's rebuttal to this, I don't want it to be like ID4 and spell it all out, but movies like Memento, fight Club, Donnie Darko, and Inception don't exactly spoon feed you, and though you might be confused while you're watching those flicks, by the end you have a better sense of the narrative that you did in the middle. Ambiguity can be good, even great in this type of movie, but when I walk out thinking it was left more open-ended than 2001: A Space Odyssey, that's too much of something where a little goes a long way.

Edited by Reverend Jax

wiki says Ridley Scott claims more answers in the next one, but he thought this was strong enough to be self-contained. then again, he clearly wanted Deckard being a replicant or not to be ambiguous, and you never really got that, so there's that.

• 4 weeks later...