Hondo's Bar

Django Unchained

The NZA

It fits with his character. Think about it: he could've just went up to that U.S. Marshall and said "Hey, your Sheriff is a wanted criminal, I'm going to shoot him and collect the bounty", same thing with Don Johnson's 3 farm-hands, and again he could've gotten out of the area before the proto-KKK caught up with them but instead he filled his dentist wagon with dynamite and blew it up. He wants to do things theatrically and in a way that shows him to be of superior intellect.

He could've bought Brunhilda for $1200 but he didn't want to do that, he wanted to buy her for $300 dollars as a side deal to some made-up big offer for a Mandingo fighter so he could feel all smart and superior for making an ass out of Candie. But Candie gets under his skin, not just with his barbaric treatment of his slaves, but by figuring out his grift and making a fool of him. I was under impression that the "Sorry, I just couldn't help my self" was for Django, not Candie's entourage.

+1 when reloads man. That made a lot of sense. Still since is a well known fact that ranchs had their own mark for the cattle, I can think that the R's stuff was something like that. Something unique, and if Tarantino just choose not to include it the fact that she spoke german woulde've been enough. But, who cares. It was a nice enough movie.

Maybe it was a fairly universal mark for an attempted runaway to be given in the Tarantino-verse.

Here's what bothered me:

Why all the hullabaloo with pretending to want a Mandingo fighter? Why not just have Django chill outside, then the Dr. just tells Candie he wants to buy a slave who can speak German? It's a perfectly rational request, and there's no indication that Candie is particularly possessive of her.

And, after shooting Candie, why didn't the Dr. at least make an attempt to shoot the other guy too? He basically just commits suicide and leaves his friend in the middle of a hornet nest. Kind of a dick move.

Baytor gave an excellent analysis to Schultz's motivations for his elaborate scheme and proclivities for theatrics. Someone may have linked to this article earlier, but Tarantino addressed your exact question to a HUffington Post reporter.

Schultz is German. He heard on the street that there's a German-speaking woman being prostituted and now he's interested. Something like that?

No, no, no ... that, you know, I mean ... that ... could work. That could work. Here's the thing: you've got to think of who Schultz is. I see where you're coming from. But it does sound like you're thinking what you would do. You have to think about how Schultz would respond. . .

. . .Ultimately, Candie doesn't care once he gets the $12,000. Once he sells her, it's like, "OK, have cake! Drink! I'm a great horse trader."

But he did take Eskimo Joe off the table.

He doesn't even have to lose Eskimo Joe. This is a triumph for Candie. Candie and Moguy are celebrating as they sign over Broomhilda's papers. They sold a slave that cost $300 for $12,000 -- that is horse trading at the highest level. If you want to entice a horse trader, you have to trade horses. Now ... what's interesting about this whole conversation is ... Schultz was wrong. It would have worked. If they had come and offered to buy Broomhilda for $5,000, Candie would have done it. . . They don't know that.

You just made my day.

They don't know that.

I know what you're saying, but, honestly, a lot of directors would never say something along those lines. But you're saying that, in this story, Schultz is a character who makes wrong decisions.

He's working from the wrong assumptions. Schultz is so egotistical and is such a control freak, he cannot allow himself to be put in the non-power position of every situation. It's why he ends up getting killed in the first place! They've had it; they got her.

They won.

They won! But he cannot make himself subservient -- you know, to shake Candie's hand. I think it's one of the cool subtexts of the film that ultimately, yes, they were wrong. If they had approached Candie, he would have sold Broomhilda for $5,000.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 4 weeks later...

Oh God, so painful...

<div><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://cdn-i.dmdentertainment.com/DMVideoPlayer/player_cr.swf"'>http://cdn-i.dmdentertainment.com/DMVideoPlayer/player_cr.swf" id="player" height="365" width="650" ><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://cdn-i.dmdentertainment.com/DMVideoPlayer/player_cr.swf" /><param name="flashVars" value="demand_rvdisplaymode=2&demand_iconlink=http%3A//www.cracked.com/&demand_rvthumb=http%3A%2F%2Fi.crackedcdn.com%2Fphpimages%2Fimage%2F1%2F3%2F6%2F169136.jpg%3Fv%3D1&DESC=&demand_bghex=0&height=22&KEYWORDS=&TITLE=Quentin+Tarantino+Is+Bad+at+Talking+to+Black+People&demand_rvbg=&adPartner=Adap&demand_continuous_play=1&demand_page_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cracked.com%2Fvideo_18536_quentin-tarantino-bad-at-talking-to-black-people.html&demand_uihex=FFD000&demand_content_id=18536&COMPANION_DIV_ID=adaptv_ad_companion_div&demand_site_id=CRCC&demand_rvpip=0&sitename=Cracked.com&comscore_c3=7290858&demand_cat=Movies+%26+TV&demand_autoplay=0&ADPTAG=GoodNeighbor&video_title=Quentin+Tarantino+Is+Bad+at+Talking+to+Black+People&demand_content_sourcekey=cracked.com&KEY=DemandMediacracked&skin=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn-i.dmdentertainment.com%2FDMVideoPlayer%2Fplayerskin.swf&demand_show_replay=true&ADAPTAG=&CATEGORIES=Movies+%26+TV&source=http%3A%2F%2Fi.crackedcdn.com%2Fphpimages%2Fvideos%2F0%2F4%2F1%2F169041_758X426.mp4&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fi.crackedcdn.com%2Fphpimages%2Fvideos%2F0%2F4%2F1%2F169041_758X426.mp4&demand_preroll=false&demand_iconurl=http%3A//i-beta.crackedcdn.com/ui/shared/images/global/icons/Video_Cracked.png&ID=18252&demand_related=1&demand_preroll_source=http%3A//i-beta.crackedcdn.com/ui/shared/resources/Pre-Roll1b_cr.swf&demand_icontext=Watch%20more%20videos%20at%20Cracked.com%20America%27s%20only%20humor%20site.&v=3.0.6.f&wa_vemb=1" /></object><br><a href="http://www.cracked.com/video_18536_quentin-tarantino-bad-at-talking-to-black-people.html">Quentin Tarantino Is Bad at Talking to Black People</a> -- powered by Cracked.com</div>

So I read the 2nd issue of the comic adaptation of the screenplay. Unlike the first issues, which was exactly like the movie, this issue has a few short scenes and lines that didn't make it to the movie (either before they were cut before principle photography, or were shot and cut in editing), but it's mostly the same as the movie. Supposedly, the final third of the movie was completely rewritten, so the 4th and 5th issues should be something unexpected.

So I read the 2nd issue of the comic adaptation of the screenplay. Unlike the first issues, which was exactly like the movie, this issue has a few short scenes and lines that didn't make it to the movie (either before they were cut before principle photography, or were shot and cut in editing), but it's mostly the same as the movie. Supposedly, the final third of the movie was completely rewritten, so the 4th and 5th issues should be something unexpected.

Yeah, it's been almost two months since I saw the film, but I thought I caught a couple of additional lines. Mainly that bit in their departure from Big Daddy's, right?

Also, how are you liking those alternate covers? Issue #2's cover w/ the 1970s movie-poster vibe was excellent.

DJANGO_cv2_var_0.jpg

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
The pic shows now, hopefully.

Yeah, it's been almost two months since I saw the film, but I thought I caught a couple of additional lines. Mainly that bit in their departure from Big Daddy's, right?

Very minor spoilers, on the differences between the movie and the comic book adaptation of the original screenplay.

Yeah, in the movie, they just leave and were evidently so fucking savvy, they knew that Big Daddy would follow them and try to kill them, so they set a trap for them. The comic makes Dr Schultz a little bit less psychic by having Big Daddy tells them that they won't be able to leave the county before a mob kills them. That was the big addition that actually impacted the storytelling, but there were a few other small changes.

1) The Brittle brothers talk to the girl they're about to whip for a bit longer before Django comes in and shoots them. They tell her that n****rs are clumsy, and the only known cure "is a peelin'."

2) Also, when Schultz and Django were sniping the pre-Klan raiding party, in the movie they were on a hill top, in the book they were up in a tree.

3) Also, even though the dialogue is the same, in the scene were Schultz tells Django the story of Sigfried and Broomhilda, they show images of the myth in a blue-scale color palette.

If there were any other deviations, I didn't pick up on them, or they were very minor.

• 1 month later...

Will Smith on turning down 'Django Unchained': 'I needed to be the lead'

When Quentin Tarantino’s western revenge-fantasy Django Unchained was first announced, casting rumors pegged Will Smith as the titular slave-turned-vigilante. But Smith, who teams with his son Jaden in this summer’s sci-fi epic After Earth, tells EW that he turned down the part because his character would’ve been second fiddle to the bounty hunter (played by Christoph Waltz) who teaches Django his trade . “Django wasn’t the lead, so it was like, I need to be the lead. The other character was the lead!” says the Men in Black star, whose departure opened the door for Jamie Foxx to play the role.

Smith says that before he left the project, he even pleaded with Tarantino to let Django have a more central role in the story. “I was like, ‘No, Quentin, please, I need to kill the bad guy!’” (Ironically, Waltz was considered a supporting actor during his Oscar-winning award season, while Jamie Foxx was promoted as the movie’s lead.)

But no hard feelings: Smith was a big fan of the final product. “I thought it was brilliant,” he says. “Just not for me.”

CkNp4Zf.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Finally saw this movie after all the hype. Sadly, it was overhyped for me and I didn't enjoy it as much as T's other recents, Inglorious Bastards or Kill Bill. Not saying it wasn't a good movie.....

Not that I enjoy suffering, but did it seem to you all that this movie was a little too "happy ending" type? Seems like the western trend - im looking at you john woo...

Anyway: as to the spoiler tag questions before, here is my take... I agree before as to the weapon used in the gun "up the sleeve" as being one shot... that is my first take. However, it did have two barrels... so what about that? so there might be no answer until a weapons expert on here addresses it.

Now as to the plan.... they had to verify first that broomh was there. that's why they played that part, because money is what candie wanted. Then they would work her into the deal. The two had NO intention to pay. They would leave for 5 days and regroup for a plan to break in or forge some documents for payment, who knows, but 5 days is enough to come up with something. It wasn't until there were guns in the back of their heads that they were practically robbed. So candie was practically gloating because he did win and they were just lucky that dentist guy was carrying that much money. who knows what would have happened if he wasn't.</p>

Edited by spiffytee

• 4 weeks later...

Just re-watched this today and I have to say I enjoyed it more the second time around. Also, Waltz was great and deserving of his praise, but DiCaprio just fucking hit the ball out of the park on this one. Oscar robbery. The scene spiffy mentioned above being one of the best bits of dramatic improv I can think of.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to watching this tonight. It's been built up a lot, but for me it totally met if not exceeded my expectations. A fucking magnificent film, flows perfectly, hilarious and quite moving. I have to agree with Jax, I think this is an important film, not in the same way as something like Schindler's List. But the scenes

where Brumhilda is whipped and the slave is eaten by the dogs, is moving and very hard to watch. It's important because, the stupid slave owners and cartoonish klansmen, are all forgotten and slavery suddenly becomes very real when you see a man beg for his life, be made to look and feel worthless and then be torn to pieces by dogs. The stark realities of slavery are there to be seen for the first time in a long time in cinemas. Tarantino even says as much in one of the videos posted already in this thread that I can't find. Where he says that all other portrayals of slavery feel very historical, while this brings the human side into it more, which makes it (even in this very stylised and unrealistic world) feel more real.

Oh and this was definitely better than The Avengers.

Yeah, I think our Tarantino poll only goes back to the Kill Bill films. If we did make a new poll, the big question would be whether to put the separate volumes of Kill Bill as separate poll choices. I'd also want to include a second poll question for favorite movie he credited with writing, but didn't direct (True Romance, Natural Born Killers, From Dusk Till Dawn).

I see no comparison between this and the avengers, they are entirely different movies with entirely different goals. I couldn't say I prefer one over the other and wouldn't really like to live in a world where I have to choose.

They are different, but I was saying that Django was my favorite film of 2012, and that I had more fun watching Django than I did watching Avengers, and someone (or possibly a few people) thought that was ridiculous.