Hondo's Bar

Watchmen prequels

alive she cried

By and large, I don't pirate comic books, unless it's some rare out of print shit I wouldn't normally be able to read. It's just how I roll.

I will be pirating these. I want to read them out of morbid curiosity. But I'm not supporting this with my dollars or feeding that monster.

• 2 months later...
Recent and extensive interview with Moore. It's 8 pages long, so had to just put the link. Man, after seeing the talent they were throwing at the prequels I was interested...but after reading this, I don't know if I can bring myself to even pirate it. Kinda makes me want to boycott DC in general. Bastards. Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY
  • Upvote 2

I can't even finish this shit.

Fucking Alan Moore is a little bitch. Seriously? Fucking guy going after others in the industry? It's uncalled for. I understand you got fucked. I feel for you, I really do, but you're the "most intelligent" and "best" comic creator ever and you can't properly read a contract? Or at least hire someone to? Fucking guy.

Then once your shit gets adapted, you don't want anything to do with it. That's fine. I respect that. It's your right. But to have the co-creators have to call you to tell you thank you for the money? Are you serious? Are you twelve? Fucking prick.

Oh AND all the conversations going on with your collaborators with DC that you think have to secretly do with you? Come on? "Oh, they bought Wildstorm cause they wanted me back." Really, you pretentious asshole? God, I've always thought he was a baby, but this article took it to the next level.

All of you Alan Moore sympathizers have your right to feel the way that you do, but if you were all really righteous then you should never buy another DC comic again. Or watch another Warner Brothers movie. Or buy a figure. Or anything. That goes for pirates of these products, as well. That's my take.

1) wasnt moore giving them his share of the money? that could be a great deal of royalties, i don't think a call is asking a lot.

2) pirates are in a perfect position to boycott anything, trust me

for real though, i havnet read this yet, but moore's been fucked multiple times by DC, i kinda get his stance & actually respect him shitting on the adaptations (even if ive liked a few of them) by sticking to his guns and not cashing those checks.

Lol.

Panch-troll is adorable. I'll have to respond trollishly.

That's pretty much the reaction I'd expect from a guy that would hungrily blow Stan lee if given half a chance, then defend him against everyone he viciously fucked in the ass to get where he is (taking photos for money, because god knows he can't write).

You corporate apologists crack me up. Moore has earned every ounce of ire here. Pretentious? Definitely. Wrong? Hell no.

Panch's is a default reaction from a lot of people that are really into the more escapist comic books. They get the impression that Alan Moore thinks less of the things they like (which he does) and they go "OH, FUCK you man! Captain Blammo is the shit and the writing is superb! I'm gonna find a reason to hate your artsy ass! Meh, I read Watchman. Blue Beetle was better."

It's the same reason I can't mention certain books around here. Either people looking for a lot of punching and bright colors would read it and hate it, or I'd just get called pretentious or a hipster for even daring to pretend to enjoy it (and I'm clearly just pretending in order to feel superior, since it's inconceivable someone would actually get a lot out a book someone else finds boring...JZA) .

Those are the moments I'm disappointed, so I try to avoid them.

Like Kanye, I love Alan Moore's work... but hate him as a person. Despite what you might think, Logan, I like a WIDE variety of comic books. From Captian Blammo to Jesse Bluster: Father. I read everything because I'm SUCH A FAN of the medium. Besides, didn't we (as kids) read comics to pretend we're someone else? I'd much rather be swinging on a web and crawling on walls than having long, 12 page conversation at a diner. I do that in real life with Cathy all the time ;)

Alan Moore is a genius, but he's also a crazy person.

Besides, didn't we (as kids) read comics to pretend we're someone else?

I didn't. But I grew up in a comic saturated environment. I think that may be why I've always felt at odds with the average fanboy type (present company excluded). I think for people that see these foreign books and have to seek them out, then your example is probably exactly the case. But it's never been about escapism for me, it's been about writing. I didn't even really start to appreciate the role the art played until I was in my teens, when I started to seriously study the medium.

Alan Moore is a genius, but he's also a crazy person.

Perfectly acceptable. Most true geniuses are.

He has some opinions I disagree with here too (that there hasn't been anything fantastically good in the industry in 25 years. If he had qualified that with "mainstream", maybe I could grudgingly agree. But I think he knows that and he's just pissed and trying to be reactionary. He danced around the subject when Maus was brought up), but I cannot argue with the facts. He was fucked over and lied too, and saying "shoulda hired a lawyer, loser" is just unreasonably hateful.

i see your shots, loganses. i sees them.

stray bullets may be a gem i can't appreciate, but lapham on anyone else's book (30 days, crossed, that marvel one he's on now, etc) is usually shit.

and frankly? sim may be an indie legend but if he wanted my dollar, he'd have cerebus punch more people and make his costume stick closer to his muscles.

No, I wasn't talking about those books. Those are books I've mentioned, and they're either violent crime dramas or male fantasies. I figured they were on the safer fringe. I thought Hate would have gotten some hits too. I'm clearly not very good at this.

I'm talking about shit like Yummy Fur, Peep Show, Optic Nerve, Arcade, La Perdida, Pip & Norton (you're a champ, axels), Angry Youth...fuck, I could go on all day. In short: the other stuff I buy. The 60% of my shelf that gets scanned over looking for the next matching set of vertical "Marvel" on the spine. Shit, at least CJ's enthusiasm managed to get some people into Charles Burns when mine didn't. I still suspect Skin Deep would be met with surly sneers.

Like I said, I'm clearly a weird dude. I don't blame you guys, and this gun is really aimed solely at JZA's head anyway. I love the guy deeply, but he will not tolerate things he can't fantasize about and I think he discouraged me early on. As is his custom with new members.

This is getting dangerously close to some blatant self martyrdom shit, and that annoys me in others. So, sorry. They clearly cut down my painkiller prescription, but I've been taking them too long to get out withdrawal free. It might be a rough couple of days.

And fuck it, I should just start posting about all of those books and just keep it in my little Alternative thread. See what sticks to the wall. I know you guys are smart, I don't mean to be patronizing.

i just think it's important to say:

i dig men in tights/power fantasy shit and mainstream hip-hop.

i also dig slice of life and introspective (or not) indie stuff and lesser known or blatantly underground rap too.

it shouldn't be either/or, something for err'body.

real talk - this should be a poll outside of comics (while we're requesting logans make us threads, natch): you make a book that you really dig, and it absolutely blows up, i mean entertainment weekly and all kindsa shit you don't think would even know your shit existed are calling it "brilliant" and some hyperbole shit for good measure like "the next frank miller" (let's ignore the last decade or so).

a movie is made. it's absolute shit that has about as much to do with your work as an interpretive dance might. the studio sends your agent payment, your agent passes on a check for, fuck, let's say $80,000 - a healthy amount that would literally take a few years for most of us to make if we somehow had 0 expenses. it's not the fucking lottery, but it's life-changing money on the tier of everyone who posts here that isn't mortiis, or fucking mortiis.

be honest: could you rip that shit up? donate it to a charity & stand on your fucking principles that this was an abortion of a film/cash-in and you're not a goddamn sellout? you might say the damage was done, why not reap some good from your efforts? it's honest money by most any metric...how many of you are gonna struggle till the day you die rather than pay off that mortgage/invest and live off the backwards fruit of your labors, rather than be told by every facet of your life what an idiot you are, and how they hope your smug stance keeps you warm at night? you've got good company, with guys like moore, watterson & hicks, but can you honestly say you'd share their life decisions?

i don't think i can answer this, because i've never fucking had an $80,000 check in my face, much less merchandising royalties. i just know i don't think i've got shit to say to a man who says "fuck it, i've got enough, i can do without."

i don't think i can answer this, because i've never fucking had an $80,000 check in my face, much less merchandising royalties. i just know i don't think i've got shit to say to a man who says "fuck it, i've got enough, i can do without."

But does that then translate to 'everything he ever says about how things went down, or anything he says about anything for that matter, is 100% correct?' One can say they respect his principles, AND still say he 1) is crazy, 2) is wrong, 3) is whining, 4) should of known better, or 5) can't rock a beard as sexy as Alive She Cried's. They are not mutually exclusive. I guess what I'm trying to say is, next time I say Eamonn's beard second only to Carlo Lund's, I don't want to hear any of you say "but Moore tore up the check!" I'll have none of it!

• Upvote 1